OTF for edc?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Midnightrider

OTF for edc?

Post by Midnightrider »

I was wondering if it would be safe to carry most otf knives for edc in a pocket. Many seem to have clips but not safeties? I imagine having one open up uninvited could ruin your day.

Any experienced auto users care to share your advice on this? Thank you.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
holeshot

Re: OTF for edc?

Post by holeshot »

I regularly carry my Microtech Ultratech and have never worried about it accidentally opening in my pocket. The force it takes to open the knife appears to me to preclude having the knife open accidentally while it's in your pocket. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Thanks. That's one of the brands I'm considering. It just looks awfully awkward to carry safely. I suppose that's because I never did it before. Do the microtechs have safeties? It's weird but the online shops seem to be carrying models that don't appear on microtech's site. It's hard to get details.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Microtech's and Benchmades do not have safeties and I don't believe they need one. If you have handled one you will understand the force needed to open and close the knife. I find the Ultratech easy to carry and use. I also have a BM Infidel and it is larger and heavier than the Ultratech. Try an Ultratech I think you'll like it. :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As others have said, it takes considerable force to activate a well built DA OTF auto. Plus, IMHO, the motion required to fire one, pushing the button forward, is also harder to do unintentionally than pushing a button inward. I own Microtechs ranging from the UTX-70 to Combat Troodon, a Piranha Excalibur, and large and small Benchmade Infidels. None of them have a mechanical safety. The Excalibur is my favorite, but I carry them all occasionally. IMHO, as long as it's the only thing you're carrying in that particular pocket, the the lack of a mechanical safety is no more an issue with a DA OTF auto than it is with a DAO revolver.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Thanks guys. My buddy over here with the Microtech said the same thing you guys are saying. He said he really does not believe it would open accidentally. And he also told me he tried opening it against wood and paper and he concluded even if it did open it would not open hard enough to inflict more than a surface wound.

I'm looking at various Microtech and the BM Infidels right now. I will probably also get the BM 2750. I just love the heavy blade although it's a side opener.

Is there much of a difference between the mini and regular infidels in terms of carry or anything else? Which one would you get first?
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

I don't have a mini Infidel but I have handled one. I prefer the full size one, it just fits better in my hand.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Thanks. I guess I just have to get them both. Once it starts it just never ends. Bad forum! :D