Trainer Balisong through Canadian Airport

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
CorvoCase

Trainer Balisong through Canadian Airport

Post by CorvoCase »

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before but I'm going on vacation soon and I have a trainer balisong. I love it, I love flipping it, it just kind of calms my nerves. I was hoping I could bring it with me. I live in Canada, and trainers appear to be quite legal here, I'm just wondering if they'd fair well through the Canadian Airport, and then the Philippines airport. Anybody have any insight? Thanks
KungFuGodfather

Re: Trainer Balisong through Canadian Airport

Post by KungFuGodfather »

First off, I would like to ask why you would be going to the Philippines what with the current state of the country, taking into account the crazy president, and the anti-drug death squads. Regarding the trainer, it should be fine to take through both airports, however I would recommend that you put the balisong in your checked bag and not your carry-on due to the fact that the trainer balisong looks like a real sharpened version on x-ray.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Second Off: I would recommend You leave your balisong (trainer) at home...when you get to the Philippines, just buy one (or the real thing) and throw it out or give it away before returning home. This way you can take care of your nerves without being or getting nervous....Doc:)
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I do a lot of international travel- I can recommend leaving the bali trainer at home.

It'll definitely get you flagged for a bag search if it's in your hand luggage as the vision systems used by airport scanners automatically pick up particular shapes- and a Balisong will set all kindsa alarms off (regardless of them finding out it's blunt).....and depending on the customs person that could go any way from a joke around about how silly you are to a full-on interview in a side room and missing your flight.

Related example:
About 4 years ago I was travelling to the US and had one of those spring-loaded coin holders full of £1 coins in my hand luggage (I figured it was less hassle than having all my change rattling round)
Super innocuous right?
My bag gets flagged and I get the 'did you pack this yourself, sir' routine in a side area.
I'm puzzled but unconcerned....The Customs chap starts pulling everything down until I get an intake of breath and he holds my little coin dispenser aloft.
Looking me square in the eye he said "The imaging software always flags these as looking the same as a loaded magazine from a gun, sir......I'd strongly recommend you take the coins out and let 'em rattle about in your bag, if you take the hint"....Which is precisely what I did and kindly asked him to throw the thing in the bin.

Look at it another way: Customs guys have a hard enough job with nefarious people trying to sneak stuff past them as well as the stupid people that don't read the signs about what they are allowed to take on.....Why make their job harder by taking something which is obviously safe but looks to the untrained eye like something prohibited?
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What if you tell the TSA "Hey, look, this has no edge, it's not a real knife. This is my Psychological Service Object. It has been declared to give me emotional stability and well-being when I travel, I have to keep it by me all the time, and periodically feel and handle it, for my emotional stability."?

Also: Do you think they would bother one for carrying a rubber training knife on the airplane itself, since it is purely a toy/rubber and has no cutting edge, or would they even give problems with that?
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I'm thinking the hey look TSA, this has no edge and this is my emotional stability tool is not gonna fly....and you might find yourself taking a little ride to the nearest psychiatric facility for observation. I once had two cigarette lighters taken from me by TSA. The wife and I had four lighters between us and it was considered too many for the flight....One of my lighters was a butane lighter, and I specifically let the butane run out and was planing on a refill at my destination after the flight...TSA just kept trying to flick and light it...but there was no fuel...no flame...I explained that it was empty of butane....but TSA told me..it could be a bomb....I said then why do you keep on flicking it?....Hence I got that one back......Problem is...there is no telling what TSA might do next or think, or to simply put it...they don't think...at least not like you and I......Doc:)
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:What if you tell the TSA "Hey, look, this has no edge, it's not a real knife. This is my Psychological Service Object. It has been declared to give me emotional stability and well-being when I travel, I have to keep it by me all the time, and periodically feel and handle it, for my emotional stability."?

Also: Do you think they would bother one for carrying a rubber training knife on the airplane itself, since it is purely a toy/rubber and has no cutting edge, or would they even give problems with that?
Again: the TSA have a hard enough job already....and that job is to remove any risk to safety for the flying public.

-Stuff gets flagged for a reason of a risk to the flight or fellow passengers.
-If it LOOKS like it could be a POTENTIAL problem, you'll get stopped in line.
-You start creating a problem, arguing black is white- you get pulled out of line.
-You create enough of a problem- you aren't flying today. Period.
The TSA have no requirement to ensure you make your flight.

They have- basically- infinite latitude to make your life impossible if you attempt to argue them down on something.
Every minute they spend with you, arguing the toss about something, is a minute where a real risk to the flight may be sneaking something through....That annoys them further, having to waste time talking to you.
They also have precisely zero sense of humor.

So to answer the specific issue:

-Could a casual look from another passenger see your training balisong or rubber training knife and be made to believe that you had a weapon on the flight?- Yes. Of course they could.
-Does that then present a risk to the flight safety?- Yes.....Note the signs in every airport not just about 'weapons' but 'replica weapons'- if it LOOKS like a weapon, it's going to get you pulled.
-Are they going to allow that risk on your word that you aren't going to cause an issue?- No, they don't know you from Adam....and you've not made them think well of you by bringing something potentially suspicious in your hand luggage, despite all the signage and warnings.

Remember: this is all about the lowest common denominator of understanding about weapons- not the highest.

TLDR?- Arguing with the TSA is like arguing with your bathroom scales: it won't make the outcome any better......and it can make it a lot, lot worse.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

And if you really need to fidget- buy something like this that won't cause any alarms to go off.

http://www.gearbest.com/classic-toys/pp ... d=10142073

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

demoncase wrote:And if you really need to fidget- buy something like this that won't cause any alarms to go off.

I would pass on the little fidget box....it looks like a detonater rather than a toy for stress...the Little box is going to be checked out by bomb sniffing dogs....can you say flight delay?....Doc:)
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:
demoncase wrote:And if you really need to fidget- buy something like this that won't cause any alarms to go off.

I would pass on the little fidget box....it looks like a detonater rather than a toy for stress...the Little box is going to be checked out by bomb sniffing dogs....can you say flight delay?....Doc:)
True, true..... Never thought of that.....I rely on my Kindle and a good novel to keep me distracted on my 18 to 20 long haul trips around the globe every year.

SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thanks for your answers, guys. And so the basic bottom line is like you said: If one wants to make their flight on time and as smoothly as possible, obey the rules and don't go there with the idea that you're gonna cause a stir, even in the name of rights and freedoms.

I'm glad you mentioned that, case, that the TSA have no requirement to ensure a person makes their flight. That is an important thing to know.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I certainly would avoid it. Any conversation with the TSA (or any equivalent) is a conversation that doesn't need to happen.

I would get another fidget toy. Maybe a spinner?