I don't get it: automatics "restricted"?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
johnnygomer

Post by johnnygomer »

Texas HB 1862 Texas Switchblade Ban Repeal signed into law June 14th, goes into effect August 27th. Local restrictions still apply. Check local law enforcement for details on any local restrictions.
nine

Post by nine »

Just to manage expectations, even though Texas (and several other states) have legalized Automatics, federal law still prohibits the interstate shipment of automatic knives for sale to non military/LEO. This means that the only automatics that will be legally for sale to non Military/LEO's in Texas will have to be manufactured in the state

Nine
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Knivesinedc wrote:some states actually allow auto's to be carried by citizens but the rules are strict
Here in Missouri there is actually a "collector's provision" dealing with automatic (switchblade) knives. If you can make it home from the Gun Show that you buy your Switchblade knife from you are then 100% legal to keep all the automatic knives you desire in a collection. But they can if they want to give you a hard time about carrying them. I carried a Benchmade model 1000 Boguszewski Spike model Auto for years in the work I was doing at the time. I even showed it off to 2 good Police friends of mine and they really could have cared less about it. They both told me that the only time they busted anyone for possessing them is if they also caught them with drugs or drunk driving along with it. One officer told me that he gave all the ones he confiscated to a knife dealer that him and I both knew well in Kansas City.

But now across the border over in Kansas that's another story>> I've been told you can't own them, collect them, use them without a special permit. No gun show in Kansas is allowed to sell them and so on. But here in Missouri the Switchblade laws have gone the way of the "Spitting On The Sidewalk" laws and horse diapering laws have gone>> in other words they just don't seem to make a big deal about them.

Truly I believe the Federal Switchblade act of 1958 is one of the most ridiculous pieces of law that was ever put on the books. Because all a Switchblade consists of is a folder that opens on a springloaded action. After I traded my Spike away I sort of lost interest in them all together. But it's just another outrageous, non-productive law that should be eliminated IMO.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
docwatson

Post by docwatson »

In Kentucky, LE's and anyone with a CCDW license may buy and possess an auto.
SHardcastle

Post by SHardcastle »

Thank goodness for the handful of states that do not restrict ownership. Lobby your representatives. Shown them then states that have successfully trusted their citizens as adults. An automatic is no more or no lessmdangerour than a standard folder. Many, in skilled hands, can be opened more quickly than their automatocm brethren.
Shadmin

Post by Shadmin »

Automatics are not illegal to own Federally, they just can't be shipped across state lines to anyone but dealers, law enforcement/military and disabled people who are like missing an arm or otherwise only able to use one hand, though this is a grey area as well. Some States and/or towns and cities restrict ownership/possession of autos, however the State where I live does not restrict automatics as they are perfectly legal to own here! I have several, including a couple from some excellent in-state manufacturers! You can carry them here, but if they are concealed you need a concealed weapons permit, just like having a concealed firearm, which is no big deal because this state is a shall issue state, so unless you're a felon, terrorist or have been convicted of domestic violence the State will issue one. I carry my Spyderco Endura as well as a Rossi snubnose .357 or Sig P250 compact in .45 ACP most days as well as a small tactical flashlight.
nuubee

Post by nuubee »

A couple of years ago I was in a local Sportsman's Warehouse, walked by the knife counter, and was surprised to see a Benchmade Infidel OTF under glass. I asked about it, and the clerk said that they were legal to own and carry in Oregon - as long as they were "not concealed" - and if someone could see the clip, then it was not considered to be "concealed". Benchmade is in Oregon, so the company didn't have to ship across state lines. The Oregon Revised Statutes have fairly relaxed laws concerning folding knives, and being able to carry them concealed, which doesn't have anything to do with being linked to CHL laws here. Some municipalities have further restrictions, however. Having said all that, I am not a lawyer and YMMV. I don't have a serious interest in auto folders, but don't really think that they should be treated differently than any other one-hand opener.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

mattman wrote:it is federally restricted to ship them across state lines.

"possession" is governed by local laws.

(my interpretation of the code cited on the page you linked)
Although many online retailers will in fact ship to wherever with no proof of legal right to own said restricted knives. Big grey area .
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

docwatson wrote:In Kentucky, LE's and anyone with a CCDW license may buy and possess an auto.
I've heard this before, but getting companies to ship to KY is still pretty much impossible, so you're left trying to figure out where to buy one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Spidero

Post by Spidero »

I've contacted legitimate vendors who are perfectly willing to ship to any state. They say it's the buyer's responsibility to comply with all laws in the state where knife is shipped to. In other words possession is governed by local laws, as you stated. Are you 100% sure it is federally restricted to ship auto's across state lines?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Blerv wrote:1.
assisted = blade action is activated when pressing on part of the blade.
automatic = blade action is activated when pressing on part of the handle (button)
double-action automatic = blade action is activated for opening and closing
Hate to say it out loud, but AOs only exist as a direct result of the widespread prohibition on automatics......Considering the 'logic' that was applied in the 1950s, had AOs existed at the time, I suspect they would have been captured in the same legislation.

****, I expect if thumbstuds and Spyderholes existed in the 1950s, the rabid paranoid lobbyists would have had those lumped in too!

What a horrible thought.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Spidero wrote:I've contacted legitimate vendors who are perfectly willing to ship to any state. They say it's the buyer's responsibility to comply with all laws in the state where knife is shipped to. In other words possession is governed by local laws, as you stated. Are you 100% sure it is federally restricted to ship auto's across state lines?
Yes, yes we are. ;)

A good read on the topic can be found here, http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... cted-Items.

Welcome to our forums. We hope you enjoy your time with us.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Loansharkx

Post by Loansharkx »

racer88 wrote:With a CCW license, we (non-LE) can carry auto knives in Florida. :-D
Where did you find this? I was curious about the law in Florida with a CCW and carrying an automatic or whatever knife.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Constitutionally, automatic knifes should only be a matter of federal law when traded over state lines. That is exactly and often solely the logistal requirement federal agents use to prosecute many federal crimes that either do not have correlating laws in the states involved or occur in states that prioritize the enforcement of other laws. There are a number of states challenging the federal government on laws they attempt to enforce within individual states right now.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Jamesh Bond

Re: I don't get it: automatics "restricted"?

Post by Jamesh Bond »

In South Dakota you can walk into some knife stores and buy one, then leave and carry it same as a slipjoint with a thumb notch.

Funny how the area of dirt where you hang your hat can affect your potential criminality.
Tdhurl1103

Re:

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

Yoko von der Rasierklinge wrote:
johnnygomer wrote:If the house bill passes in Texas I may start carrying my Boker Kalashnikov though.
Any news on this? I have some family in Texas that I visit often while on business there, would love to carry automatics with me during my time in Dallas & Houston.
The link below is what Knife Rights is doing in Texas right now. It doesn't specifically list/mention "automatics", so take it how you will. I know, not much help... :)

http://www.kniferights.org/index.php?op ... 2&Itemid=1

Here is the State of Texas Penal Code (Chapter 46) which regulates "knives"

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... .htm#46.01
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
jstanfield103

Post by jstanfield103 »

Thats why I Love Kentucky auto's are perfectly legal as long as they are showing out the top of the pocket. I have a CCDW and legal to carry one concealled.
Mgj48

Post by Mgj48 »

I live in Texas and I am not sure I like the way that reads. "Button or other device .....gravity or centrifical force... I was at a hunting and fishing expo this past weekend and a vendor was selling automatics. He says they are now legal in Texas.
That sounds like my Stretch is a switchblade.
jamesraykenney

Post by jamesraykenney »

In Texas, as of last year, out-the-side autos are legal, but out-the-end autos are still ilegal(go figure...)
endgame

Post by endgame »

I can finger flick my pm2 faster then the fasted auto.stupid dumb law