'Classic style' spyderfly?!

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
jsholli

'Classic style' spyderfly?!

Post by jsholli »

I was looking through http://www.knifecenter.com and noticed their add for the new :spyder: 'balisong:

"Spyderco SPYDERFLY- Spyderco's version of a classic folder with steel handles and spring latch"

A classic f...f...f...folder?!? :eek: ...how about a better description folks?
[CENTER]People are contagious by nature---actions & attitudes seem to spread the fastest of all -jh[/CENTER]
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

Is it not a classic folding knife? :confused:
MAT :spyder: TER
Just-American
WTC#1511
"Hunt You Down All Nightmare Long!"
"Civilian Lovers appreciate nice curves" insp. by Dr. Snubnose
jsholli

purely classic dancing butterflies

Post by jsholli »

Civilian wrote:Is it not a classic folding knife? :confused:
I suppose it's all in the interpretation, but personally "classic folder" invokes hazy memories of yesteryear where grandpa whittled away on a stick...not when gramps fought off a gang of thugs with his lightning-fast butterfly knife.

True, the balisong is a classic, but a classic folder just sounds wrong; a Case XX bicentennial stag folding hunter is a 'classic folder'...2 blades, 1 stationary handle no loose parts to fly around. All IMO ;)
[CENTER]People are contagious by nature---actions & attitudes seem to spread the fastest of all -jh[/CENTER]
thombrogan

Classic as can be!

Post by thombrogan »

The two-handled folding knife, aka the butterfly knife, is a European design that's been around at least since the early 1700's if not 1500's. Click here for that information from a better source.

Don't know why a gang of thugs was after your grandpa and hope he's okay, but the butterfly knife is older than any living member of your family (possibly excluding the adoption of certain sage brushes and sequoias). Also, a slipjoint folder tends to have more springs than a butterfly knife, so there might be more flailing parts should it malfunction. Did your grandpa's slipjoint explode and send its backspring into the eye of the gang-leader? Maybe that's why he was attacked?
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

That'l teach your Grandpa to get involved with the rum and maple tobacco cartels!!!
jsholli

touché

Post by jsholli »

Well well,
History buffs: can you seriously deny that 'classic folder' is not synonymous to hardly anyone with "balisong" or the butterfly knife? Weirder stuff could happen, but ask 10 people to describe a classic folder...butterfly, or spring-back?

Very interesting website thom; yup, that's old...the author himself cannot prove how old, and the add from Bontgen and Sabin's 1895 catalog points out the lack of a spring :eek: why??? um...maybe because, even in those days, balisongs were uncommon?

Frankly, I don't think I could care less about when balisongs or spring-backs were invented. I simply said that "classic folder" isn't a good description of a balisong; it still isn't.

Finally, read closer guys; the lack of a possessive qualifier implies that there is a difference between "grandpa" as stated, and my grandpa. Try to add something clever next time ;)
[INDENT]
This shall be the last reply I make to this thread since it seems to be a quarrelsome point for some reason; I never intended to step on your toes-or whatever else got mashed...should any of you wish to actually correspond with me further in private-feel free to do so, my contact info is publicly available in my member profile. :) [/INDENT]
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Speaking for myself ONLY...
I was joking, and the lack of a smilie would have perhaps confused the issue... must be my warped sense of humour?
There was a plethora of opinions flying around here, not quarrelsome verdicts.
I don't think anyone was offended, and I certainly learned something I did not know...

Stuart
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

I don't understand. I sought to use an analogy which didn't depict the butterfly knife as a weapon. Not clever enough? :(

My idea of a 'classic' folder is an Italian stiletto-style automatic folding knife, though maybe my the penknife of my grandfather (on my Mother's side) should have came to mind.

Whenever I hear "discovered America", I think of Columbus even though it was obviously discovered by some other folks. Should I still cherish my thoughts of the Johnny-come-lately or wrap them around the Behring Strait and the Pangea theory?

Let me twirl my classic Spyderfly whilst I ponder.
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
Bradley

Re: 'Classic style' spyderfly?!

Post by Bradley »

Wow, sad moment when I realized this is from 2005.... :( Bring it back pls