Laminated Steel Question: Is it truly stronger/tougher than non-laminated?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Laminated Steel Question: Is it truly stronger/tougher than non-laminated?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I was looking for the Knife Steel Nerds article that Larrin wrote about laminated steel, or was there one about this?

I ask because I read claims by some custom, hand-made, and manufactured knife makers who have said that laminated carbon and laminated stainless steel blades are stronger and tougher than non-laminated blades. Is this true?

H1 steel would be an exception.
JD Spydo

Re: Laminated Steel Question: Is it truly stronger/tougher than non-laminated?

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I held off for a while hoping the Brother "Larrin" would comment on this subject. I've thought about that very same thing myself. I've also wondered if "damascus" blades had more tensile strength as well.

One of my late Uncles who was a World War II vet and he was able to bring back one of those highly coveted Japanese Swords. I was told that the one he brought back had been folded and forged over 40 layers. I've also heard that there are Japanese Swords that have over twice that amount of hand forged layers.

Now the Spyderco blades I've owned that had ZDP-189 in the center with 420SJ on the outer layer was indeed stronger by virtue of being layered. However I've never had any tensile strength problems with any Spyder I've ever owned or used. Again I do hope that Larrin Checks in with us.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Laminated Steel Question: Is it truly stronger/tougher than non-laminated?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you, JD! I would love to see some serious electro mechanical and tensile and compressive testing on various laminated steel blades vs non laminated. I read that like H1 which is solid, some laminated blades can be bent into a U shape and bent back with no serious damage to blade or edge.

I also read that laminated Japanese steel was so desired that when a sword like a katana or wakizashi broke in battle, they would take the point and other pieces and grind them into smaller utility and fighting knives.

JD: Imagine if we could get technology to the point where you can cheaply and easilly print out atomically-fine laminated steel blades at home on your desktop, along with G10 and FRN handles?