Bags-

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Daveho

Bags-

Post by Daveho »

I suspect many of you are like me and can’t help but get hooked up on bags, packs, rucks and so on.
I have been on a perpetual search for that one perfect bag and am firmly of the opinion that there are two sizes, too big or too small and nothing seems to be quite perfect.
To date the notable packs I have tried are a few 5.11 like the rush 12 and the messenger bad they do as well as a number of other day bags.
What have you lot settled on?
knivesandbooks

Re: Bags-

Post by knivesandbooks »

Right now I have the mid sized Nutsac and it has served me well. Very durable. I am on the lookout for something classier.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:05 am
Right now I have the mid sized Nutsac and it has served me well. Very durable. I am on the lookout for something classier.
Classier than a nutsac? I don’t see how that’s possible :)
I’m actually waiting on an older crumpler (old Aussie company) on a bad called the moderate embarrassment.
It’s one of those companies that was a mainstay of my youth, extremely well built and they are so civilian no one looks twice at them
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Some shooting stuff rides in my pickup in this backpack I got for Boy Scout camping, 58 years ago.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Are you looking for daypack size? Or bigger?

For daypacks I really like stuff able "stash packs". They're especially convenient when traveling.

For larger packs, I want some kind of frame though.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Back about 10 years ago when I was doing a lot of trading on BF and other places I accrued a lot of different carrying items. But as far as totes, bags, backpacks and utility packs I've got a bunch of stuff in the Victorinox line that I still swear by. The fanny packs I got from a guy who was a dealer in Victorinox items are still the best I've ever come across.

All of the baggage that I carry any of my stuff in are mostly made by Victorinox. I even got a Victorinox wallet out of the deal too>> and I'm still carrying it. Their stuff made by Victorinox really rugged and long lasting. A good friend of mine swears by Maxpedition and I do like some of their stuff but it is pricey. And for as good as Victorinox is I can't see spending 3 times as much.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've been carrying around a 5.11 Rush Moab 10 for a little over 3 years now, it literally goes everywhere with me. No complaints, it gets the job done and I like the single sling carry. I also have an early '90s Jansport Right Pack I've been using as a range bag. That bag lasted through high school and now typically carries around a few hundred rounds of ammo and is still holding up just fine but it's pretty limited as far as storage options go.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Too many.... from ancient Karrimor from my long-gone climbing days, 2 different sizes of Billingham leather and canvas for camera gear, 15l Haglof and 30l Macpac for day-packs, Maxpedition for (strictly motorcycle!) bum-bag, even the old WW2 army surplus canvas haversack I had at school gets a look-in occasionally.

Every week day I use a Billingham messenger bag, plus a tiny padded Billingham Pola for the ultrasound moisture meter, laser measure, flashlight and other work kit I have to carry on-the-job. Both have been in daily use for about 15 years and still going strong. You get what you pay for.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Swiss heather canvas...

It's too bad that all of the repros of these are massively expensive and not as well made as the originals.
I have several of the gas mask bags, bread bags (cool, but not super functional), a leather bottom internal frame day pack and a large rucksack.

For modern frame packs I really like the Mammut frame system that allows load to be concentrated on hip and upper back, while letting your mid and lower back breathe.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am not much into bags, but I do have a simple bag for my iPad. It also carries my water bottle and glasses and pen. It is small and slim and not in the way. I got it at ACE Hardware, of all places.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I did a little research on this subject last night and discovered a company selling stuff in this area of endeavor>> the name of the outfit was "County-Comm" . I still don't know a lot about them but what I've seen so far has my attention in a very good way.

At first glance they kind of look like a less expensive version of Maxpedition. Now I really like a lot of the stuff Maxpedition offers but it is rather pricey in comparison to what Victorinox and others offer in that product line.

But this company "County-Comm" has my attention.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I am not 100% certain on the dates, but I have carried a 5.11 Moab 10 for almost a decade. It wasn't until late last year that I purchased an upgrade in the form of the 5.11 Rush 12. I needed a dual strap option because the sling bag was a bit heavy for longer motorcycle rides and commuting to work. The Moab now rides as a go back in my vehicle. I love the quality of 5.11 and I think the only thing better than their bags is their pouches.
Water bottle carrier (perfect for Nalgene or 18oz Yeti bottle)
Frag grenade pouch (great for small first aid kit)
Double mag pouch (combo carrier for fullsize multitool and 2xCR123 light)

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Nate

Post by Nate »

I've been carrying the same small Patagonia daypack/backpack for around 17-18yrs. I generally only buy their stuff when it's on sale/clearance because it's all fairly expensive, but man does it last. I have a Maxpedition EDC organizer with various kit that stays in the bag.
:spyder:
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

You'll find your "perfect" pack in the same aisle you'll find your "perfect" knife :)

I went through a phase a few years ago. Finally over it and very happy with what I've settled on. With the exception of my newest "Aer Flight Pack 2" I've been using many of these bags heavily for several years and have even upgraded to newer versions of the same. I can highly recommend these:

BACKPACKING: Osprey Aether 70
HIKING: Osprey Skarab 32
COMMUTER (work in city office environment): Aer Flight Pack 2
TACTICAL (all purpose/travel/adventuring): Direct Action Dragon Egg Mk 2
TACTICAL Plus (outdoor adventuring, i.e. not really suited for electronics like PCs/cameras, etc): Triple Aught Design FAST Pack Lightspeed
ADVENTURE PHOTOGRAPHY (full frame pro gear + "holy trinity" of lenses): f-Stop Loka
URBAN PHOTOGRAPHY (full frame pro gear+"holy trinity"): ThinkTank Shape Shifter 17 v2.0
URBAN PHOTOGRAPHY (travel): Think Tank Urban Disguise 35 v2.0
awa54

Post by awa54 »

My cameras ride in LowePro bags for the most part.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Crux

Post by Crux »

I used to do a lot of gear reviews for Mountain Hardwear, Black Diamond, North Face, Marmot, ARC'TERYX, Petzl, Gregory, Five Ten and a bunch of other gear I used almost everyday. As a result I got a lot of free stuff to review. At one time I had 9 sleeping bags and about the same number of backpacks. I did an ad for North Face back when they actually made their OWN products. My kids have gotten they fair share of that gear as I am too old to climb anymore and I had a bad climbing accident to boot.

They used this pic but edited out the phone sitting there.
Attachments
Packing gear2.jpg
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

A $15 Eddie Bauer 20L Stowaway was a revelation for me. It's super light and great for a minimalist day hike/trip. I have a more bags than I can count, but I use one of the EBs every time I can get away with it. A surprisingly great number of features, including a loop on the shoulder strap for a hydration tube, internal pocket for a laptop/hydration reservoir, gear tie downs, mesh side pockets that haven't stretched out, packs down into it's own pocket...

At $15, it's not much of a gamble to try. I've been abusing mine for a few years and it still looks pretty much like new. I've given them to more than a few people as gifts and they now have pretty much the same feeling about it.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/product/stow ... k/82300168
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:35 am
I did a little research on this subject last night and discovered a company selling stuff in this area of endeavor>> the name of the outfit was "County-Comm" . I still don't know a lot about them but what I've seen so far has my attention in a very good way.

At first glance they kind of look like a less expensive version of Maxpedition. Now I really like a lot of the stuff Maxpedition offers but it is rather pricey in comparison to what Victorinox and others offer in that product line.

But this company "County-Comm" has my attention.
CountyComm is good to go JD. They produce lots of "one off" stuff for the government. I own several of their products and couldnd be happier. Everything they make was originally from a government contract.