Top Chilli tips?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ChrisinHove

Top Chilli tips?

Post by ChrisinHove »

Slicing up the onions, peppers, garlic, chilli peppers with my K12P this evening it struck me that there might be a few chilli wizards here.

Any good tips?
Evil D

Re: Top Chilli tips?

Post by Evil D »

This is one of my favorite recipes for chili, it's really simple too. It's designed around a low carb diet so no pasta or beans but you can add those if you choose.

https://youtu.be/Buhf9PSO9WY
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

If you're into spicy chili, my wife just made some last weekend...a few drops of this stuff, seriously...just a few drops, and you're set for spicy!

Sgd8zIwh.jpg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Yum. I love chili. I have to say, HORMEL makes a very good canned chili.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Anyone else use cinnamon in their chili?

My favorite recipe calls for cinnamon and uses cubes of roast or stew meat, rather than ground beef.

I also have some (blasphemy, I know) vegan chili a while back that was really good. I'll have to see if I can find that recipe.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I do an awesome venison Chili. Takes me around 4 hours to make it and cook it.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:50 am
Anyone else use cinnamon in their chili?

My favorite recipe calls for cinnamon and uses cubes of roast or stew meat, rather than ground beef.

I also have some (blasphemy, I know) vegan chili a while back that was really good. I'll have to see if I can find that recipe.
Ah vegan chili, you mean "vegetable soup" lol.

Apparently Cincinnati style chili (Skyline, Gold Star) has cinnamon in it. I've heard people say they can't stand it for that reason and it's all they taste but I grew up with it and really don't taste the cinnamon apart from the chili itself. Maybe I'm just used to it. I've never tried adding it to my own chili but I think I will. My wife makes amazing chili and I don't know how she does it because most people talk about simmering for hours etc but she can whip up a pot of really good chili in a half hour.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Cayenne and black pepper, onion, garlic, ground chuck or ground round, jalepeno pepper, tomatoes, tomato sauce (some like to use Rotel), cumin, chili powder, paprika, red beans (non-sweet) and/or black beans. Add a some Tennessee Pride Hot breakfast sausage and bacon for a kick.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I cook a fair amount of chilli and my taste is as follows:

1. Pork mince gives a better flavour than beef mince.
2. Always use fresh chilli and dried chillies to balance heat with fruitiness. If you can find Chipotle paste then get some as it adds flavour and depth
3. You can't add too much cumin. You can add too much oregano and chilli powder, both of which get stronger with longer cooking.
4. Add the beans last, preferably in the last hour of cooking.
5. Slow cooking for 4 hours or more is a must.
6. Drying your chilli for 30 minutes in the oven, open topped at 70oC before serving makes for a creamier texture.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Crux

Post by Crux »

I'm thinking that it might be possible to add too much cumin. Just saying. Image
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Crux wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:52 am
I'm thinking that it might be possible to add too much cumin. Just saying. Image
I've not managed yet. I guess my tastebuds are atrophied :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

demoncase, would fish based chili be good or do seafood and chili not mix? Like if a person put pieces of tuna, salmon, crab, or other sea meats, into chili with traditional sauces and beans or no beans, would that be good or not likely?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Basil and extra virgin olive oil is always good on fish, and adding garlic is a bonus. It is also good on potatoes.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Crux wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:39 pm
I do an awesome venison Chili. Takes me around 4 hours to make it and cook it.
I've tried using every meat known to man making chilli but deer meat ( venison) is truly the very best. I also use Red and Black beans both. The health food store I go to has a great natural, organic chilli powder which is now the only one I use.

When it's all done there is only one hot sauce I use and it's called "Trappey's".
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:48 am
demoncase, would fish based chili be good or do seafood and chili not mix? Like if a person put pieces of tuna, salmon, crab, or other sea meats, into chili with traditional sauces and beans or no beans, would that be good or not likely?
You'll want a really firm white fish that'll survive slow cooking to make it work- Something that'll hold together and has a very mild flavour.
Monkfish or pollock spring to mind as suitable- but the character of the 'chilli' you end up with will be very different I expect.
Tuna will probably end up quite 'fishy' over a slow cooking.....If it's decent tuna then I wouldn't be slow cooking it- I'd be searing it so it's rare with lime and soy :)

Crab and salmon really deserve better treatment- I wouldn't stick 'em in a chilli.

Point of chilli is to take cheap cuts of beef or ground meat and turn into something spectacular using time and spices.
The subtle textures and flavours of good fish will be utterly swamped

I'd flex the recipe and look at Cataplana- Portuguese pork-and-fish stew......or a spicy paella.

Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:42 am
Cayenne and black pepper, onion, garlic, ground chuck or ground round, jalepeno pepper, tomatoes, tomato sauce (some like to use Rotel), cumin, chili powder, paprika, red beans (non-sweet) and/or black beans. Add a some Tennessee Pride Hot breakfast sausage and bacon for a kick.
This sounds a lot like my recipe, though I don't put sausage in mine. If I have venison in it goes. Depending upon how much I'm making I will also throw in two or three whole cloves, (not too many, and reminding people to watch for them) and a couple bay leaves. These add additional flavors for the senses. I sometimes put in crushed tomatoes as well to thicken things up. I make my own datil pepper sauce and it's always added to the mix. Datil peppers have such great flavor in addition to heat. Have a couple nice datil plants starting to flower now. A must for Bar-B-Que too. Dern, this thread has got me ready to make chili.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

A small square of baker's chocolate will smooth out the cumin and improve the taste of chili.

A can of Hominy is a great, low octane (gas), substitute for beans.

Masa flower, ground corn, is great for the flavor and it will thicken your chili effectively. If you cannot find masa, run a can of hominy through a food processor or blender then add to your chili.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Tdog wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:58 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:42 am
This sounds a lot like my recipe, though I don't put sausage in mine. If I have venison in it goes. Depending upon how much I'm making I will also throw in two or three whole cloves, (not too many, and reminding people to watch for them) and a couple bay leaves. These add additional flavors for the senses. I sometimes put in crushed tomatoes as well to thicken things up. I make my own datil pepper sauce and it's always added to the mix. Datil peppers have such great flavor in addition to heat. Have a couple nice datil plants starting to flower now. A must for Bar-B-Que too. Dern, this thread has got me ready to make chili.
I sometimes use bay leaves, depending on what else I use. The thing about chili is that you really have to try hard to mess it up. As long as it is not sweet and it is pepper hot, it is good to go.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Pinetreebbs wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:42 pm
A small square of baker's chocolate will smooth out the cumin and improve the taste of chili.

A can of Hominy is a great, low octane (gas), substitute for beans.

Masa flower, ground corn, is great for the flavor and it will thicken your chili effectively. If you cannot find masa, run a can of hominy through a food processor or blender then add to your chili.
The heck with putting the chocolate in the chili! It will go in my stomach faster than you can say "Jack Robinson"! :D

Actually, that is an interesting tip.

Hominy is good in chili, even with beans.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am all about the toppings with my chili.

Some Fritos, sour cream, green onions and grated cheese gives the finishing touch.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?