3 Inch Fixed or Folder Blade for Self Protection: Yes or No?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

3 Inch Fixed or Folder Blade for Self Protection: Yes or No?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Could a person properly protect and defend their life if needed with a fixed blade or folder that has a blade that is three inches long, or, is that too short and too tiny to be of any use, if the person were to be attacked by a human or animal attacker?
xceptnl

Re: 3 Inch Fixed or Folder Blade for Self Protection: Yes or No?

Post by xceptnl »

I think it would truly depend on who is wielding the blade SEF. Our trusted blade defense guru Mr Michael Janich would probably be able to defend his life using just a 3" trainer, others possibly not as well. I don't feel insecure carrying a 3" blade, the Lil Matriarch is one of my favorite little peace-of-mind knives.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

The blade on Fred Perrin's La Griffe is under 3". Same for Ernie Emerson's interpretation of the La Griffe. So is the Hideaway knife (HAK). All designed specifically for self defense. The Swick is also under 3".

So yes, at least with people, 3" is enough, since the intent is escape and evasion, not (justifiable) homicide. Animals may be more difficult to discourage.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

A person could properly defend their life with a pencil, given sufficient training and proper mindset.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Yep 3" is plenty for SD.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

A person could properly defend their life with a pencil, given sufficient training and proper mindset.
That's right. People have been killed with them. 3 inch knives are luxury super weapons in a prison. I saw a guy cut a$$#ole to eyeball and back with an Exacto type tiny blade. Many prison incidents are resolved with one blade from a safety razor ( those tiny things used in throw away plastic Bic type razors) melted into a toothbrush or plastic razor handle. Alternately think of a pencil or pen lobotomy through the eyeball.

I've not known any truly dangerous felon types that had specialized blade martial training courses either. Us primates know how to crush, hit, stab and bite naturally and all that is really needed is a desire to do it. Or, to get over the inhibitions you have learned. I see that with domestic dogs with biting too. Once you train a dog to attack ( as in police and military K9 training) there isn't much they enjoy more.

Joe
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Well, yes, but anything will do when the ball drops.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

many more pressing factors than the blade length
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Generally i consider defending yourself with a knife like throwing yourself in front of a car, pulling the attacker with you. Both will get hurt pretty bad..Hopefully the attacker worse than you. (unless you have had years of training, even though no training in the world can prepare for the massive adrenaline dump/fine motor skills totally gone/you just freeze like a statue of a real life situation) I'd say the balde lenght is among the least of your worries.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Have you done any fighting?
If not get out and do some classes and pick some that have a heavy contact striking component, a few hits and you will get some adrenaline pumping and get some insight to it.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Daveho wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:47 am
If not get out and do some classes and pick some that have a heavy contact striking component, a few hits and you will get some adrenaline pumping and get some insight to it.
I don't know if you were addressing me, but i have trained ju-jitsu/kickboxing, have been involved in a couple of threat situations "on the street" and to me they don't compare.
I have driven countless miles through the years and still the urge to hit the brakes when i start drifting on snow or ice is there..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:02 am
Daveho wrote:
I don't know if you were addressing me, but i have trained ju-jitsu/kickboxing, have been involved in a couple of threat situations "on the street" and to me they don't compare.
I have driven countless miles through the years and still the urge to hit the brakes when i start drifting on snow or ice is there..
No mate- the OP.
I’ve done years of MMA and more traditional stuff too but when you have a very aggressive fighter as an opponent when you are really going for it that’s about as close as you will “relitivly” safely have that kind of rush, well that’s about as close as I have experienced to having a knife pulled on you- you are right that it is different but that’s the closest I can liken it too.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Daveho wrote:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:17 am
Daveho wrote:
If there’s one thing I always say it’s that you should never underestimate a no limbed man in a fight.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Daveho wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:25 am
If there’s one thing I always say it’s that you should never underestimate a no limbed man in a fight.
:p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Had a knife pulled on me once. I was catching a train home at 9:30pm when I was a apprentice butcher ( late night shopping had just been bought in for Australia shops open to 9pm Thursday nights ) the guy asked for my wallet. I said “it’s in my bag”. Picked my bag up and grabbed my butchers knife out as I opened it. Still remember the dumbstruck look on he’s face when I told him to sit down. He left the train at the next stop quiet sheepishly.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
James Y

Post by James Y »

What's more important than blade length is what is inside of you. A person armed with a 3" or less blade who is ready, willing and able to use it at the critical moment will be effective, while someone who is bluffing with a 4" to 10" blade will not be. How will you know which one you are? You won't, unless or until you're ever in that situation. Hopefully you won't be.

Several years ago, there was a news report of a woman whose house was broken into, and the man attempted to rape her. She killed him with a knife in SD. The knife that was used was shown. It was a cheap imported Gerber liner-lock model that used to be sold at Target many years ago. Its blade was around 3" to 3.25" long. It wasn't some super-tactical knife with the latest wonder steel.

Surprisingly, they showed a photo of the woman, too. Now, I'm fully aware that you cannot judge a book by its cover, but just from her photo, she did NOT look like a practitioner of martial arts or knife combatives, or like she exercised at all, as she appeared obese. And yet, she defended herself effectively at her critical moment. IIRC, the court eventually ruled in her favor. She had "it" in her. There are many people who will freeze and be unable to do it, even if their lives are on the line.

There are a ton of people online who talk about SD knives. What they don't seem to consider are all the psychological and legal ramifications that go along with using a knife on another person, even in SD.

Jim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Shorter blades limit penetration depth, so hitting organs can be an issue (this is why the Yojimbo 2 is longer than the 1) but a short blade can still effectively slash and do fatal damage, or at least enough to allow you to flea and save yourself. You can get by with a carpet knife if necessary.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Crux

Post by Crux »

Blind them, stab them and then shoot them.
Attachments
WFLGSRK.JPG
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Roman legions used to say that a 2 inch deep wound anywhere is enough to take someone out of the fight. A 3 inch deep wound is no joke. There are places on the human body where 3 inches is enough to cause immediate, or almost immediate death.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050