Knives that dominate your pockets over Spydercos?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

Knives that dominate your pockets over Spydercos?

Post by vivi »

Haven't been posting in the "Which Spyderco is in your pocket?" thread for a minute because a non-spyderco has been dominating my pockets.

My Leatherman Wave with clip.

I never liked carrying full sized multitools in my pocket or in a belt sheath, but the pocket clip has been a game changer for me.

I used to pair a Micra with a Police or Pacific Salt, and may go back to that for the spring and summer, but these days I feel the Wave offers me so much more utility than a single blade.

I was looking at picking up a clipitool standard, but I think I'm going to hold off and see what those new Leatherman clipped knives with one handed accessible tools are like.

I carry a Spyderco fixed blade once in a while with my wave, like my Swick or Perrin, but the folders haven't seen much pocket time lately.

Anyone else finding a non-spydie dominating their carry lately?
:unicorn
TomAiello

Re: Knives that dominate your pockets over Spydercos?

Post by TomAiello »

I've been carrying a Rex 121 Mako for the past month, but that's mostly to test the steel, not because it's "beating out" other knives.
Loudenboomer

Post by Loudenboomer »

BM 940 sunday go to meeting knife.
Manix 2 M4 Black G10 handles for a working knife
The rest are safe queens
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I most often have a Vic Cadet in my pocket. However, the Urban LW is a close second.

Edit: this choice, while a good one, is mainly due to the local cops views on knives. Most people here are nonknifepeople.
Last edited by Doc Dan on Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Nothing but a Spyderco (or two) has ruled my pockets since I joined this forum in 2011.

Before that, I carried SAKs and Leathermans, and still do, but now in a supplemental role.

My go-bags have ESEEs and LT Wrights, but I don’t often put them to use. I like to fondle them, though.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Rassenti customs or Sebenza 21.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I've been on another traditional kick lately, so majority GEC and Opinel. Also, LT Wright Patriot.
Spydiechef and SE Wharnie Delica still make it into my pocket, but the rest are put away for the time being.

Today I've got a dirty but beloved ebony wood No. 8 with stainless and mirror polish. It feels better and is built better.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:49 pm
Haven't been posting in the "Which Spyderco is in your pocket?" thread for a minute because a non-spyderco has been dominating my pockets.

I never liked carrying full sized multitools in my pocket or in a belt sheath, but the pocket clip has been a game changer for me.

I used to pair a Micra with a Police or Pacific Salt, and may go back to that for the spring and summer, but these days I feel the Wave offers me so much more utility than a single blade.

I was looking at picking up a clipitool standard, but I think I'm going to hold off and see what those new Leatherman clipped knives with one handed accessible tools are like.

I carry a Spyderco fixed blade once in a while with my wave, like my Swick or Perrin, but the folders haven't seen much pocket time lately.

Almost exclusivly Spyderco. Very rarely a Mini Grip or a cheap Titanium Flipper, that's quite a good value for the money I have to say.

We chatted some about this in another thread: You never felt like upgrading the Wave to a Charge? Same tools, but much better blade steel for the knife blade...(154 cm).
I think I'd do so if I'd carry only a multitool and no dedicated folder.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:57 pm
Vivi wrote:

Almost exclusivly Spyderco. Very rarely a Mini Grip or a cheap Titanium Flipper, that's quite a good value for the money I have to say.

We chatted some about this in another thread: You never felt like upgrading the Wave to a Charge? Same tools, but much better blade steel for the knife blade...(154 cm).
Bah, at this point just wait and pick up one of the new ones that are coming out. They look really nice.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
vivi

Post by vivi »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:17 am
Nothing but a Spyderco (or two) has ruled my pockets since I joined this forum in 2011.

Before that, I carried SAKs and Leathermans, and still do, but now in a supplemental role.

My go-bags have ESEEs and LT Wrights, but I don’t often put them to use. I like to fondle them, though.
What's your favorite LT? I have a Frontier Valley I like as an EDC fixed blade. Considering one of his larger models like a Maverick Scout.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:57 pm
Vivi wrote:

I'm happy with the performance of the 420HC. I usually have three knife blades on me...PE and SE on the Wave, plus a PE fixed blade. That's enough to get me by for at least a week or three without having to sharpen.

The all black charge is also $50 more.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:22 pm
wrdwrght wrote:

What's your favorite LT? I have a Frontier Valley I like as an EDC fixed blade. Considering one of his larger models like a Maverick Scout.
In camp, where batoning will feature, I really like my scandi A2 Genesis (I was an early adopter; there is now a wider range of steels, but A2 has served me well). The Genesis is a more ergonomic bushcrafting knife than my Blind Horse Knives O1 Bushcrafter which originally put LT on my knife-buying map.

For more general use, as for day hikes, I really like my high-saber O1 GNS (also available in other steels).
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

About the time I got my first Spyderco knife which was in the spring of 1995 I was already carrying a Benchmade model that I fell very deeply in love with. I'm speaking of the BM model 640 which was known as the Boguszewski Spike model. There was a big brother to that model and it was the model 650 which was essentially the same model but just much bigger overall.

I still love the overall design of the Boguszewski Spike model and I came very close to pulling the trigger and buying one of Phil Boguszewski's custom folders shortly before he died. I would still love to have one. There was just something really elegant but yet extremely practical about the Boguszewski Spike model. However Benchmade doesn't seem to do Sprint Runs like our great Spyder Factory does so I'm doubtful I'll ever EDC the Spike like I once did. The ATS-34 steel that blade was made of doesn't hold a candle to many of these newer/better blade steels we have now.

Spyderco had a model that was quite similar to the Boguszewski Spike and it was the Centofante C-50 model. However I was told that the original tooling for that model is gone for good unfortunately.
vivi

Post by vivi »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:34 pm
Vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:22 pm
wrdwrght wrote:

In camp, where batoning will feature, I really like my scandi A2 Genesis (I was an early adopter; there is now a wider range of steels, but A2 has served me well). The Genesis is a more ergonomic bushcrafting knife than my Blind Horse Knives O1 Bushcrafter which originally put LT on my knife-buying map.

For more general use, as for day hikes, I really like my high-saber O1 GNS (also available in other steels).
I really like A2 for small and medium FB's. Good balance of toughness and edge holding, while resisting corrosion a little better than O1 and 1095.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:44 pm
I've been on another traditional kick lately, so majority GEC and Opinel. Also, LT Wright Patriot.
Spydiechef and SE Wharnie Delica still make it into my pocket, but the rest are put away for the time being.

Today I've got a dirty but beloved ebony wood No. 8 with stainless and mirror polish. It feels better and is built better.
Wow that is a beautiful knife!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Bugout has just been perfectly practical for my uses in the office and around town. It is small and very lightweight, but has a sharpened length same as a PM2 and just as slicey. I usually have a BK7, BK21, and 36" axe in my truck at the very least, and a Manix2 LW in my bag... I'm prepared for wood processing/ brush clearing when needed, which is a pretty common activity for me and the people I know.

In the yard and woods I've been obsessed with the new XM18 Skinny. It's pretty much what I always wished the original was: an actual slicer.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’ve got some Spydies left, but they honestly just sit in my safe. I rotate between a Large Sebenza 21 and a Hinderer XM-18 3.5
Josh
vivi

Post by vivi »

abbazaba wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:45 am
Bugout has just been perfectly practical for my uses in the office and around town. It is small and very lightweight, but has a sharpened length same as a PM2 and just as slicey. I usually have a BK7, BK21, and 36" axe in my truck at the very least, and a Manix2 LW in my bag... I'm prepared for wood processing/ brush clearing when needed, which is a pretty common activity for me and the people I know.

In the yard and woods I've been obsessed with the new XM18 Skinny. It's pretty much what I always wished the original was: an actual slicer.
The bugout is a really nice design. If they made one scaled up to a 4" blade I'd buy one. Very simple, to the point knife that does pretty much everything right.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I never look at my multitool as a knife because the blades are always sub par. I had a titanium Surge once with S30V but it was a brick. Otherwise the only knives I own that ever get used that aren't Spyderco are a ZT0303 and a few SAKs, maybe a Svord Peasant or Opinel once in a while but it's more of a one time use than "carry to use".
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The last few weeks I have been carrying my Protech Godson in place of my PE Spydercos. Just been craving that satisfying snap that a side folding auto gives. To be fair I plan to carry the Embassy in SE next week.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*