Knives that dominate your pockets over Spydercos?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

Re: Knives that dominate your pockets over Spydercos?

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:53 am
I never look at my multitool as a knife because the blades are always sub par. I had a titanium Surge once with S30V but it was a brick. Otherwise the only knives I own that ever get used that aren't Spyderco are a ZT0303 and a few SAKs, maybe a Svord Peasant or Opinel once in a while but it's more of a one time use than "carry to use".
The multitool blades might not have the best edge holding, but they have a lot going for them.

My waves blades are about half the stock thickness of my Manix XL, or about 1.5mm-1.8mm. Additionally, they came ground with a thinner edge bevel than a lot of my single blade folders did.

They touch up incredibly fast and take a blistering edge.

I'd also argue two 420hc blades will outlast most super steel single blade folders.

My Spydercos do a lot of things better than my multitool blades, and a year ago I couldn't see myself EDCing a MT as my primary cutter, but the Wave has changed my perspective since buying it. With the pocket clip and opening holes it's just as quick and convenient as my Police and Manix, and the tools see so much use.
:unicorn
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Normally, there's always a 3 blade medium stockman in my pocket. Usually, there's a spyderco to accompany it.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Not so much dominating, but I've had a GEC Dixie Stockman riding in my back pocket, while an SE Wharncliffe Delica has ridden in the right front pocket. It's more of a complimentary piece, really.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I have a few non Spydies that make their way into the rotation, but really the only one that regularly pushes a Spydie out is kinda sorta a Spydie anyway. My custom Smock SK23, and when they release the Spyderco Smock it’ll mess that up a bit.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:53 pm
Evil D wrote:
I never look at my multitool as a knife because the blades are always sub par. I had a titanium Surge once with S30V but it was a brick. Otherwise the only knives I own that ever get used that aren't Spyderco are a ZT0303 and a few SAKs, maybe a Svord Peasant or Opinel once in a while but it's more of a one time use than "carry to use".
The multitool blades might not have the best edge holding, but they have a lot going for them.

My waves blades are about half the stock thickness of my Manix XL, or about 1.5mm-1.8mm. Additionally, they came ground with a thinner edge bevel than a lot of my single blade folders did.

I'd also argue two 420hc blades will outlast most super steel single blade folders.

My Spydercos do a lot of things better than my multitool blades, and a year ago I couldn't see myself EDCing a MT as my primary cutter, but the Wave has changed my perspective since buying it. With the pocket clip and opening holes it's just as quick and convenient as my Police and Manix, and the tools see so much use.
I have carried a multitool on my person everyday for years now. It started with the terrific (brick) Charge AL and then the much more pocketable Skeletool CX. I keep my MT blades sharp, but they are intended as scrapers and prybar type devices as to save the tip of my Delica or Caly. Despite the better than most blade steels (S30V & 154CM) I still don't think of the blade as a primary.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
vivi

Post by vivi »

xceptnl wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:16 pm
Vivi wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:53 pm
Evil D wrote:

I have carried a multitool on my person everyday for years now. It started with the terrific (brick) Charge AL and then the much more pocketable Skeletool CX. I keep my MT blades sharp, but they are intended as scrapers and prybar type devices as to save the tip of my Delica or Caly. Despite the better than most blade steels (S30V & 154CM) I still don't think of the blade as a primary.
That's how I used to treat my MT blades. I'd save them for dirty and abusive tasks I didn't want to subject my freshly sharpened $200 Spyderco to.

These days I'm a lot more willing to use them as my primary, and I've been pleased with their performance for utility work.

The only two things I won't cut with them is food (Because I use MT's for things I wouldn't want to cross contaminate food with) ane bushcrafty stuff (I have a lot of nice fixed blades to justify with some whittlin, and MT ergos are bad for that sort of thing).
James Y

Post by James Y »

I ALWAYS have 2 Victorinox SAKs in my pockets. One is my black Executive, and the other is either my Spartan or my Pioneer. No matter what I have on me, 2 SAKs are always with me, wherever a knife is legal to carry. If I ever need to carry a pliers-based multi-tool, it will be my Victorinox Spirit, but in recent years, I usually only use it when doing work around my house/property.

As for my one-hander, while it's usually a Spyderco, I sometimes switch it out for one of my CRKs. Sometimes I'll make that CRK my primary for quite awhile, depending on what I feel like carrying and using. I own 5 CRKs, but my favorites are my large 21 Insingo, and my small drop-point Inkosi.

Jim
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Has been a Delica 4 exclusively for many many years; but now alternating a BM Bugout on occasion.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Byrds :p

Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

In the last months various Vics dominated in my pocket, as they have a good all-purpose use. Unfortunately the blade steel isn't the best choice. :(

During the last weeks more and more Opinels (no. 8 + 9, inox and carbon blades) find their way in my pocket, as I enjoy a lot thin blades for cutting tasks. Unfortunately their built quality is on the cheap side, they do their job, but nothing more. :(

What makes me doing so? Overall I become more and more bored from thick blades with far to much meat behind the cutting edge and unfortunately Spyderco does nothing in thin direction. :(

You see the whole situation makes me blue ... :(
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I would say authentic Spanish Classic Navajas, the national folding knives of Spain. Our great friend Peacent knows plenty about them, too. I love the smooth stainless steel blades and the shapes and the comfortable handles. Some of the cheaper ones are not as good but there are also mid-range priced ones that are very good put out by companies in Albacete and elsewhere such as Joker, Albainox, and others. I would like to see more American knife makers produce Navaja style knives.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Once I get this one...it will probably be tough to kick out of the pocket. Blade stock thickness is ever so slightly thicker than the Chaparral, but the blade is much longer. Really been into slicey knives lately. Though other Spyderco's will certainly join it, as I like to carry 2 knives for some unreasonable reason :cool:

Capture.PNG
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Multitools notwithstanding (I typically have a SAK or Leatherman Skeletool around), lately the folders are:

- Microtech Socom Elite (new version released in 2018): although billed as "tactical", I find it outstanding as a hard use outdoors knife.

- Hinderer XM-18 3.5" Gen 4 Spearpoint and ZT0562: General purpose outdoors use. Can't decide which I like better. Plan on getting a XM-18 Gen 6 Slicer grind (hopefully choil-less) as soon as available. That will likely change up my rotation.

- ZT0452 and Normark 5" Folding Fillet: Yup, Normark my budget beater...wash it after every trip and it's still going strong after 10 years; the ZT reserved for head spiking larger gamefish.

- Brad Zinker Dogtooth: small, thin, light but not too light, tough build, snappy action. General purpose light home use. Love this little thing.

However, the PM2 is still my most carried folder for all around EDC (outside of corporate office environment).
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Knives that dominate my pockets over Spydercos? None.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:18 pm
Knives that dominate my pockets over Spydercos? None.

I agree.... No one brand ever "DOMINATES " over Spyderco!

That said...I carry knives from ZT, Benchmade, Kershaw, Buck, ColdSteel, TOPS, LionSteel, Viper, Fox, GM, Factor, Massdrop collaborations, BR, Real Steel, Ruike, Tangram, Kizer, We, Bestech, Stedemon, and Three Rivers!

I've got 5X the amount of Spyderco knives then any other one brand and my purchasing of "other" makers has diminished (except for fixed blades ).

James
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

None dominate, but my Benchmade Bugout sees quite a bit of carry time.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

My GEC collection has now overtaken my spydie collection. That said, no other brand besides GEC comes close to the amount of spydies that I have.

This year I foresee mainly GEC knives and probably another lt wright. Will grab an frn police 4 if they hit the shelves and maybe a classic model if they do a Sprint of one.

These have removed the Rhino and Chaparall as my office carry.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Those looks nice, I can see why you'd be carrying them. Which model # is the one with two blades? I like that simple layout.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:16 pm
Those looks nice, I can see why you'd be carrying them. Which model # is the one with two blades? I like that simple layout.
It's a #82 Dixie Possum Skinner.
It was a short run they did from parts from the #82 Dixie Stockman (other knife in the picture)

They have two cover options.

https://www.gpknives.com/gec-tidioute-8 ... carta.html

https://www.gpknives.com/gec-northfield ... -bone.html

I like the two blade more but have been mainly carrying the Stockman becuase I've been on a Stockman kick. If you get one, I recommend the micarta with the satin bolsters. I wasn't too impressed with the elderberry bone, surprisingly.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!