Are Modern Scissors/Shears intentionally pointless?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Are Modern Scissors/Shears intentionally pointless?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I have looked at a wide range of modern scissors and shears for sale, made by many companies. While a very few specialized scissors, mostly barber hair cutting scissors and perhaps tailoring scissors, are still made with nearly dagger-like points, I notice most household and sportsman and general purpose scissors seem to have a slight cut-off at the tip. Is this intentional or for some practical reason or is it a safety issue, they don't want people using them like a dagger?
JD Spydo

Re: Are Modern Scissors/Shears intentionally pointless?

Post by JD Spydo »

I have a relatively newer pair of scissors made by the Victorinox knife company. And they have points on them. And they are an excellent pair of scissors and hold an edge really well. Yeah I've noticed that most modern scissors have blunt tips on them. It's probably a liability problem they are trying to get around. I remember all the way back to the 60s and 70s there were many incidents of people being stabbed with big pairs of scissors. You don't hear about those kinds of crimes much anymore and I bet that had a lot to do with most modern designed scissors. Also it's getting really tough to find really high quality scissors anymore.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Probably done so they can be sold in the UK. Still, if you think about it, there are not all that many tasks where you want to puncture something with a scissors. Besides, you can still find pointed scissors if you need or want them. As JD pointed out, Victorinox makes them, Fiskars make quite a few as well, am sure others do too.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
James Y

Post by James Y »

I've personally never needed pointy tips in scissors for any scissors-related tasks. I do own a large pair of old, all-steel scissors stamped Gold Seal that are pointy, but I haven't found that the points themselves give it any advantage over blunt-tipped scissors. In fact, I find that in some tasks, the rounded tips help rather than hinder.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:04 am
I've personally never needed pointy tips in scissors for any scissors-related tasks. I do own a large pair of old, all-steel scissors stamped Gold Seal that are pointy, but I haven't found that the points themselves give it any advantage over blunt-tipped scissors. In fact, I find that in some tasks, the rounded tips help rather than hinder.
What Jim just said does make sense. Really when you think about it I personally can't ever remember a time when I needed a pointy tip for a pair of scissors. About the only thing I even use scissors for anymore is for cutting cloth and I have my mom's old German made scissors that were used in that trade for doing that>> also I use scissors to cut paper with on certain occasions. But I bet I don't even use scissors more than a dozen times in an entire year. And again the jobs I use them on wouldn't make any difference anyway.

But I do bet that I'm right about the liability aspect of the points on the older scissors>> especially using them in schools and so forth.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD, I'm certain you're right about the potential liability for schools. I've seen scissors for kids at the store that were completely made of plastic except for steel inserts for the actual cutting edges. And the ends of the plastic blades were, of course, rounded.

Jim
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:10 am
Probably done so they can be sold in the UK.
Nope: UK law talks about an item with either a sharp edge or a point..... so blunt pointed scissors still need a good reason to be carrying in your pocket.

Finally we aren't to blame for something!
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

James Y wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:04 am

Jim

The only time I've seen pointy tips on scissors come in handy was for removing a seam. Granted, you can use a seam ripper, if you have one, or a pointy knife, but my grandmother always used her scissors.

demoncase wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:10 am
Probably done so they can be sold in the UK.
Nope: UK law talks about an item with either a sharp edge or a point..... so blunt pointed scissors still need a good reason to be carrying in your pocket.

Finally we aren't to blame for something!

Sorry, I forgot to add a :rolleyes: smiley after that. :o
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Another possible culprit is the fact that making scissors with thick blades and blunt tips requires less precision manufacturing tollerances.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:06 pm
Is this intentional or for some practical reason or is it a safety issue ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:50 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:06 pm
Is this intentional or for some practical reason or is it a safety issue ...

I still wouldn't suggest running with them ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

awa54 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:14 pm
I still wouldn't suggest running with them ;)
:p
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you all for the great answers, very good info.

And here is a related scissors question: Would wharncliffe-shaped scissor or shear blades be an improvement over standard scissors or would that not be a good idea?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:41 pm
Would wharncliffe-shaped scissor or shear blades be an improvement over standard scissors or would that not be a good idea?
Hey SEF, What type of scissors do you own? :confused:

SpyderEdgeForever

Oh yeah. LOL. Many already are wharncliffe shaped.

I have assorted pairs; the cheapo ones and some Fiskars. I also have a pair made in Japan, the Vampliers. Those are my favorite.

How can I find a pair of Victorinox scissors that are actually made in Switzerland and not made in China with the Victorinox name?
James Y

Post by James Y »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:25 pm

I have assorted pairs; the cheapo ones and some Fiskars. I also have a pair made in Japan, the Vampliers. Those are my favorite.

How can I find a pair of Victorinox scissors that are actually made in Switzerland and not made in China with the Victorinox name?
Victorinix does not produce any products in China. All of their products are made in Switzerland. Victorinix is the biggest cutlery manufacturer in Europe, and probably the world. They don't need to contract out to China, and never would.

Jim
SpyderEdgeForever

James Y wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:14 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:25 pm

Victorinix does not produce any products in China. All of their products are made in Switzerland. Victorinix is the biggest cutlery manufacturer in Europe, and probably the world. They don't need to contract out to China, and never would.

Jim
Thank you for the correction. They make their scissors and knives in both Switzerland and Germany.
Crux

Post by Crux »

The function of a scissors does not require a point.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek: