Ever met any celebrities?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ThePeacent

Re: Ever met any celebrities?

Post by ThePeacent »

so far it's been five,
Guillermo del Toro, Álex de la Iglesia (both were at Sitges film festival having lunch next to us, we sat there like we would've anywhere else, and we realised who they were before they brought us the first course), Tim Leatherman (twice, one by chance, later in a planned event), Lynn Margulis, and Lionel Messi
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I had a drink with Jimmy Barnes and his band Cold Chisel and Greedy Smith and his band Mental As Anything in the late ‘70’s. They used to play at one of the local pubs here when a Schooner of beer cost 75c and admission fee was $2.00. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:23 pm
I had a drink with Jimmy Barnes and his band Cold Chisel and Greedy Smith and his band Mental As Anything in the late ‘70’s. They used to play at one of the local pubs here when a Schooner of beer cost 75c and admission fee was $2.00. :rolleyes:

I listened to Mental as Anything back in the early 80s... probably on CHOM FM out of Montreal.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

awa54 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:56 pm
Bloke wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:23 pm

I listened to Mental as Anything back in the early 80s... probably on CHOM FM out of Montreal.
They were a good fun band. I was in my late teens and we used to get that drunk it wasn’t funny.

Here’s an old Classic for you! ;)

https://youtu.be/0KZ-PqkaCX8

One Thursday night I was supposed to be at Technical College (Mechanical Engineering Diploma) but Cold Chisel we’re playing so I went to see them instead. I had an old split screen VW Combi then (first vehicle). Anyhow, I got that drunk I hit a rock face on the way home, put my head through the windscreen and wrote it off. Ah, hahaha! :rolleyes:

The old copper that turned up was a mate of my dad’s so all was good but I wouldn’t get in the ambulance because I reckoned I’d picked all the glass out of my head and I didn’t want to leave my surfboard in the Combi ... :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Kristi, I'm guessing many of the celebrities on your list (the first nine ) were in town filming "Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead"?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Funny thread... ;)
I just met (and with some did climb) with people who are celebrities solely in the rock climbing community, I guess. Alexander Huber, Thomas Huber, Klem Loskot, Lynn Hill, Bernd Zangerl, maybe some more.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:34 pm
Funny thread... ;)
I just met (and with some did climb) with people who are celebrities solely in the rock climbing community, I guess. Alexander Huber, Thomas Huber, Klem Loskot, Lynn Hill, Bernd Zangerl, maybe some more.

How about Alex Honnold?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Wartstein wrote:
Funny thread... ;)

I know Pamela Pack from High School.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:21 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Funny thread... ;)

How about Alex Honnold?
Would like to, but, no. He seems to be a cool guy who knows what he´s doing. And he DOES things (free solo climbing) that are quite unbelievable...

I am just an average climber, not a pro and in no way one of the really good ones... ;) Just happen to live very close to some quite famous ones (in the climbing community at least), and there is not much of a cult of celebrity in the community. Everyone is equal, and so if the occasion arises, "Stars" and average Joes (like me) do some climbing together.

Lynn Hill (first human beeing to climb the Nose / El Capitan / Yosemite) once was visting the then Ice Climbing world champion (Harry Berger, whom I also happened to know - died later very tragedly the day his girlfriend gave birth to their first child). They did some climbing in a local climbing area I also attended, and so we chatted a bit and belayed each other a few times.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

awa54 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:54 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Funny thread... ;)

I know Pamela Pack from High School.
Just know her from reading magazins. Does some real hard climbing despite having some serious disease as far as I recall?!
Crux

Post by Crux »

I had dinner with Joan Rivers and James Coburn in NYC many years ago. I got free drinks and tickets to see her show next door afterward. She was as sweet a person as I had ever met, but her routine was pretty raunchy. She said she was going to use me in her act but didn't. I was very relieved. I met a few others but I'm not really into "tv stars". Most were nice, some not so.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Laine

Post by Laine »

A few years ago I met a group of young girls-skaters at the rink, one of them later won the American figure skating championship. I recognized her, she performed at the Olympics.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Regarding celebrities and such people, be them from the performance (movie, theater, music, etc) world, or others (sports, knife-making, etc), is it generally considered bad etiquette, and a real "turn-off" to such folks, if a person acts either like a "fan boy/fan girl" type, or, tries to look to them as someone who can somehow help the person out, unless truly needed? As an example: Let's say someone met a famous knife maker and knife designer, I'll use Fred Perrin as an example, and asked if because they met him, they can somehow get a free knife or discounted knife. Or, if you met someone like George Lucas, and you were to ask him "Mr. Lucas, can you please arrange it so I can meet Harrison Ford and Mark Hamil, who played in your films?"

I generally think that unless someone had a very good and needful reason for that, then most wouldn't be very appreciative, because that can be construed as someone trying to use or take advantage of their celebrity status, am I right?

I heard from someone that unless an actor or actress is offering or selling their autographs, some of them have been known to get very verbally angry at those who came off like a "fan boy" to them.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I generally just observe and don't approach celebrities in public because I figure they hate it. I was at the airport once and Shaquille O’ Neal was waiting for the same plane. What was funny to me was that any woman or kid that walked up to them for autographs we would sign and joke around. Any guy that tried the same was shooed off. I saw George Hamilton do the same thing in Denver. The only reason I had dinner with Joan Rivers was that she was my cousin and I just happened to meet her in NYC and it was her treat. I'm still sad that she passed away.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Sammy Davis was a friend of my fathers.

My Father was a butcher and met him when he came to the shop once with he’s aides to buy some steak whilst he was in Australia. Inch thick ribeye steaks was he’s favourite.
Sent a thank you note and a bottle of scotch and some flowers for my mother. ( what a guy )

Each time he came to Aus he visited, and have a picture of my father with him in a headlock ( they were getting a photo and he slipped in like he was in a headlock as my father was a big brutish guy ).
Got a card every year ( this was in the 70s 80s )
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I do feel it would be extremely annoying to anyone when people just come up like fanboys/fangirls, asking for selfies and autographs. Fans might think it shouldn't be a big deal, but how many times a day does that happen?

Except for the few I met at Comic Con 40+ years ago and the one at a book signing, the others I met were pretty much by accident. On a few occasions, I was approached by them at a workplace.

Back in the late 1940s or early 1950s, my maternal grandfather ran a successful flower shop in Los Angeles, and a fan of Joan Crawford's ordered a bouquet of flowers be sent to her. My mom had to go to Joan Crawford's house to deliver the bouquet. Crawford herself answered the door and accepted the gift. My mom treated it as just another delivery.

My main martial arts instructor once had Joe Jackson (father of Michael Jackson) as a student when his studio was in L.A. circa 1970, during the 'Jackson 5' days. He said Joe Jackson was a terrible student; he always had to be told to remove all his jewelry before class, as it creates a hazard during training. He'd always act like he 'forgot' and would fill an entire small basket with his bling. In reality, he was just showing off. According to my teacher, Joe Jackson was also a very lazy student. He eventually told Jackson he didn't need to show up anymore, as he was wasting his and my teacher's time. My teacher was and still is a no-BS type; he knew who Joe Jackson was and didn't care.

Jim
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

standy99 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:19 pm

My Father was a butcher and met him when he came to the shop once with he’s aides to buy some steak whilst he was in Australia. Inch thick ribeye steaks was he’s favourite.
Sent a thank you note and a bottle of scotch and some flowers for my mother. ( what a guy )

Each time he came to Aus he visited, and have a picture of my father with him in a headlock ( they were getting a photo and he slipped in like he was in a headlock as my father was a big brutish guy ).
Wow. Doesn't get much cooler than that imo. A member of the Rat Pack! Maybe Steve McQueen would be better?
At any rate, that's really awesome.
You just know Sammy Davis Jr. knew how to have a good time.
1" thick Ribeye, hes my kind of man!
Man, how awesome would it be to hang ( or just meet ) Sammy......
Crux

Post by Crux »

standy99 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:19 pm

Very cool. I agree with Sammy's choice of steak. :)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:53 am
Kristi, I'm guessing many of the celebrities on your list (the first nine ) were in town filming "Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead"?
That's funny! Exactly my first thought too :D
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I've always thought it was a great, and very underrated movie, with a fantastic cast.