On a whim...Kershaw Al Mar collaboration

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TkoK83Spy

On a whim...Kershaw Al Mar collaboration

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yesterday I was on the KC site, submitting my preorder for the Para 3 LW...that 12 hours prior I told myself I didn't want or need haha.

There was section about a Kershaw sale going on. Feeling nostalgic, I clicked to see what there was since Kershaw knives are what got me started with my knives obsession a couple years ago.

I came across this https://www.knifecenter.com/item/KS2335 ... el-handles

I thought it looked like a pretty nice, sleek design...for a $25 knife. Not a fan of assisted knives these days, but other than that. It appealed to me. Yea, 8cr13mov is nothing special, but that's what you get with a knife in this price range.

I thought the spear point blade was cool, red barrel spacers, G10 handle scales on the one side, as well as a deep carry clip. It's a steel frame lock and the pivot runs on phos/bronze washers. To me, it looked like some high quality points for a very low price. I've bought pocket clips for my Spydercos that cost more than this knife!

I pulled the trigger and am actually excited for it to arrive. I figure this could also be my knife that helps me with my recent struggles with sharpening as well. Does anybody else have this knife, or have had it? Any thoughts you'd like to share?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Nate

Re: On a whim...Kershaw Al Mar collaboration

Post by Nate »

I have the AM4. It's my only Kershaw and only assisted-opener. Nice blade for what it is. Have always been interested in the Al-Mar Falcon and Eagle, but they consistently lost out to new Spydies when I'd go buy a new knife. They're starting to get hard to find now, not sure if they'll be produced anymore or what. At any rate, the Kershaw collab was cheap enough to gamble on and it is fun to fidget with and I like the narrow blade profile. Don't carry mine much though as I'm a lefty, have it earmarked for my boy.
:spyder:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yea that's what I was thinking too, worth the gamble at that price. It looks much nicer than other Kershaw's I previously owned at the same price point so it definitely intrigued me a bit. I don't see it taking over my Spyderco's for pocket time, but I'm going to give it some carry time and appreciate the ease of sharpening as well!

Those Al Mar's are nice, but tough to justify at those prices these days with the competition at that price point.

-Rick
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've played around with the kershaw al mar. Got one in a trade. It's a cool little knife. Ranks up there with the Leek and the Launch 4 for nice Kershaws. I've recommended it to friends who like assisted openers.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This little fella showed up today...and man is it little! Almost feels like a slipjoint in hand. I have to say though, I do like it. For a $25 knife, this has to be one of the better that I've handle in that kind of price range. Totally forgot my left one of my PM2's in my desk the other day when the GM came down for a meeting and didn't want him to see my pocket clip sticking out. So I took a couple comparison pics, for size...obviously not the knives themselves haha!

I wear a Medium-Large size glove, so not the largest hands, but I can comfortably get a 4 finger grip on it. Opening and closing are a bit harrowing with the knife being as small/thin as it is. It came totally centered and quite sharp. The bevels appear to be quite even as well, which hasn't been the case with other cheaper Kershaws I've bought in the past. It is surprising to see the bronze washers in such a cheap knife. The G10 is very smooth, but looks nice. The red barrel spacers are a nice touch, as well as the deep carry clip. I haven't used it yet, but I can see this being decent little knife for opening packages or for small/classy carry. Certainly not on the same scale as the Chaparral LW, Centofante 3 or Delica Pakkawood that I have and consider my smaller/classy carries, but I can see it getting some pocket time. If anybody is interested in a classy looking, unobtrusive, small pocket knife for dirt cheap...I think I would give this the nod.

Resized_20190118_114735.jpeg
Resized_20190118_114721.jpeg
Resized_20190118_115041.jpeg
Resized_20190118_115332.jpeg
Resized_20190118_115417.jpeg
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Resized_20190118_120401.jpeg
Resized_20190118_114827.jpeg
Resized_20190118_120431.jpeg

-Rick
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Nice pics :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal