Let's talk titanium.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Let's talk titanium.

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Titanium, that seeming wonder metal. People on the forum have discussed it before, but let's get a discussion going on the ups and downs to this metal and its uses for knives and edged tools and other tools. I welcome all of your opinions and views on this.

First of all, I read a report put out by a metallurgist in regards to knives on a website and he said that while titanium may sound powerful and even comic book metal-like (and it has been used and over used in fiction for decades as a super metal to replace steel), pound for pound and inch for inch, a well-made and properly heat-treated carbon or stainless steel blade will function better than the best titanium, except in areas where titanium shines (no pun intended); which at the time of the writing of the said article, there was no H1 or Lc200N stainless steel yet: He focused on corrosion/rust resistance and the light weight ness of titanium.

However, I do see both custom and factory made titanium knives out there, for use by military, divers, and other people.

I once saw a beautiful all-titanium fixed blade knife advertised. It had perfect grind lines and geometry and to my surprise it was being sold for a "mere" fifty dollars. I never saw that one again. I don't know how they kept the price so low for titanium, unless there were cuts made to the heat treatment process?

Another question: Could a properly-made titanium knife function in true survival situations if necessary, for basic cutting chores, and bush-crafting, or, would the metal fail in comparison to good carbon or stainless steel?

What about titanium for non-edged tools, such as hammers, pry bars, wrenches, and related things: Would those of you who use these on a regular or infrequent basis want to use titanium versions, or, do you prefer the standard drop-forged steel versions?

Lastly, how could titanium be improved to retain the present qualities but have improved qualities, such as greater edge-holding properties?

Check this out everyone:

https://www.smkw.com/catalogsearch/resu ... er+pry+axe

One piece titanium. 3.5 inches.
Crux

Re: Let's talk titanium.

Post by Crux »

I have a titanium divers knife. Edge retention is a disappointment.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Titanium is non-magnetic, which can be a plus for Navy divers disarming mines. For everyone else, I'd say it's a much better handle material than blade material.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Crux

Post by Crux »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:59 pm
Titanium is non-magnetic, which can be a plus for Navy divers disarming mines. For everyone else, I'd say it's a much better handle material than blade material.
Plus, no rust so I use it in the boat.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Crux wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:02 pm
The Deacon wrote:

True, titanium won't rust and I'm glad it does the job for you. That said, I still think a steel like H-1 or LC200N makes a better blade.
Paul
Crux

Post by Crux »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:35 pm
Crux wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:02 pm
The Deacon wrote:

True, titanium won't rust and I'm glad it does the job for you. That said, I still think a steel like H-1 or LC200N makes a better blade.
True, and I have both, but what else would I do with the titanium blade?
SpyderEdgeForever

Crux, I read that there is an alloy called beta titanium that can be in the fifties as far as RC hardness goes, perhaps lower fifties like 54 or 56 at the most.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:
I agree with everything he just said. It is not a premium material for knife blades in my humble opinion except for highly specialized situations or very specific uses that requires a non-magnetic, non-ferrous material. It is however a great handle material as well as being great for internal working parts on folders. Titanium handles on folders and other knives is in my top five of all the handle materials available.

I've love it's anti-corrosive properties and it's grip properties on knife handles. Titanium grips much better than stainless or aircraft grade aluminum. For a folder that is subjected to a harsh or salt water environment I don't know of another metal you could use that would be better IMO.
Crux

Post by Crux »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:13 pm
Crux, I read that there is an alloy called beta titanium that can be in the fifties as far as RC hardness goes, perhaps lower fifties like 54 or 56 at the most.
That would be interesting. Maybe we could see a Para 3 in that. Sal, I volunteer to test this for Spyderco. I'll even agree to send it back after testing, pretty much. :rolleyes:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:28 pm
Titanium, that seeming wonder metal.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Crux

Post by Crux »

It's a great steel for submarines.
SpyderEdgeForever

If we could make a titanium that reached 60-65 RC Hardness, and which, since its titanium, never rusted, and was as cheap to produce as news paper or pulp fiber board, what sort of market would such a metal have?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:29 am
If we could make a titanium that reached 60-65 RC Hardness, and which, since its titanium, never rusted, and was as cheap to produce as news paper or pulp fiber board, what sort of market would such a metal have?

A world populated by fictional characters?
Paul
SpyderEdgeForever

What do you all think of this Clauss Titanium Shears?

https://www.claussco.com/products/kitch ... -grey.html

Are these super shears like they are marketed as or not?
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:07 pm
What do you all think of this Clauss Titanium Shears?

https://www.claussco.com/products/kitch ... -grey.html

Are these super shears like they are marketed as or not?
Those have steel blades with a surface layer of TiCN. TiCN is incredibly hard at 1800-2100 on the Vickers scale (HV), but it's only practical as a super thin coating. For comparison, 65 HRC is only 940 HV. TiCN an TiN bonded onto steel blades is used as an alternative to solid ceramic blades for shears used for cutting things like Kevlar fibers. It's also used in things like coating drill bits and other machine tools. I don't think it translates well to knife blades.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:42 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:28 pm
Titanium, that seeming wonder metal.
That new paint job certainly has improved to look of the Sydney Opera House. :rolleyes:
Crux

Post by Crux »

I have two titanium bolts in my shoulder. I'm part bionic.
SpyderEdgeForever

Crux wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:13 pm
Do you think as time goes on and technology advances, and the technology to augment and replace biological tissues and materials grows, we will truly see more and more people opt to take part in it and even voluntarilly replace undamaged biological organs and parts with non biological ones, if the technology proves to be safe, reliable, and good for them?
Crux

Post by Crux »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:07 pm
Crux wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:13 pm
Do you think as time goes on and technology advances, and the technology to augment and replace biological tissues and materials grows, we will truly see more and more people opt to take part in it and even voluntarilly replace undamaged biological organs and parts with non biological ones, if the technology proves to be safe, reliable, and good for them?
Not undamaged! Are you on LSD?

After all the beatings I've experienced I would say heck yes for DAMAGED replacements! If I was younger I might be freaked out but I ain't. :)

I can remember being so proud of the little time I spent injured as a young man. Not that I didn't try to wreck both knees and get cut or based on oh too many occasions, but as I got older and a little more bolder I subconsciously decided to see what extreme bounds I might reach. Nothing new for us mindless mid-life individuals, but it added measureable wear on the old bod and all the tales of these amazing feats have been told so many times everyone I know has heard a dozen times.

So on my list of replaceables I have many but I'd probably opt for a kidney or two since that's my biggest issue. I always figured it would be my liver and as it turns out my liver is better now then when I was born. Go figure. I think Advil and alcohol (The Sonny Bono Effect) was probably the biggest culprit but Excedrin while great with body pain has never taken the edge off a headache ever.

Strangely, buying a new Spyderco does eliminate headaches as long as the Misses doesn't intercept it in which case a migraine is probably heading my way. Not that I suffer from them but I think you know what I mean. :eek:
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Crux wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:49 pm
It's a great steel for submarines.
Indeed.
I learned that in the early 1980s +/- forward, the Soviets made particular Titanium submarine hulls which allowed maximum depth operations in the neighborhood of 3k feet. They were known to be very noisy and inefficient -- no idea what became of this fleet since then (very expensive to manufacture and maintain at battle readiness through the fall of the USSR). FYI the classified maximum operational depth of our fast attack boats is rated at 2k feet. JD, Crux -- correct me if necessary regarding any of these naval feats ;)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As I've earlier stated here on the forums, my cervical spine is fused with titanium implants and cadaver bones at three levels, as well my right hand has titanium plates and screws on the 4th and 5th metacarpals from a double compound fracture years back. Being these implants are non- ferrous, I'm good with MRIs. ;)

Doing good on balance thus far; glad these surgical practices were available in my times of need.

:spyder: :spyder: Stay Sharp --
-- SB / BRUCE :cool: :cool: