Sushi, Raw and Undercooked Foods: How to be safe?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
murphjd25

Re: Sushi, Raw and Undercooked Foods: How to be safe?

Post by murphjd25 »

I love fish, but man it has to be cooked! I’ve never tried sushi and don’t think I really want too. Is it really that good? What makes it so great?
Josh
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I love sashimi and raw oysters. We have some of the best oysters in our area. The key is knowing the source. "Fresh" is a relative term. Back in the commercial fishing days we would stay out 3 or 4 days. So the fish caught on the first day would be 3 or 4 days old when we got back to the dock. May sit in the dock's fish cooler for another day depending upon what time we got in. The wholesaler would then take it for delivery to fish markets, stores and restaurants. We took GREAT care in gutting, and packing our fish on ice because it was our livelihood. Still, a lot of fish in stores/markets while considered "fresh" is not so fresh. If you want really fresh fish, catch it yourself, or have a friend that will tighten you up. :D My friends and neighbors love me ;)
James Y

Post by James Y »

murphjd25 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:10 pm
I love fish, but man it has to be cooked! I’ve never tried sushi and don’t think I really want too. Is it really that good? What makes it so great?
As was mentioned earlier, sushi is NOT raw fish. Americans always confuse sushi and sashimi, which IS raw fish. Sushi can contain raw fish or not. I personally do not like raw fish. I like seafood, but I also want it cooked. But I love good sushi, but the kind I like never contained raw fish. Just like all sandwiches don't need to have bologna in them. But nobody can say if you tried it you'd like it or not. People have different tastes. I would take even sashimi over Swedish rotten herring any day of the year.

I almost never eat seafood anymore, even cooked. I remember hearing that the Fukushima disaster has affected a lot of ocean life in the Pacific. Supposedly what's still happening is really bad, even though it's no longer in the news. I may be a bit paranoid, but I'd prefer to avoid as much radiation in my food as is possible. I also remember hearing about the effects of the BP oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico being worse than reported, especially on the ocean floor.

Jim
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

cbrstar wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:49 pm

The more "Fishy" it smells the more rotten it is. As fish rots the more it stinks like fish especially tuna. Fresh Sushi you should barely be able to smell the fish if at all.
Even when cooked that 'fishy' smell does not go away- it's an amine that's detectable at very low parts-per-million concentrations.
This is the reason why a lot of fish (cooked or otherwise) comes with lemon is that the citric acid converts the smelly amine to an odourless amide- the freshness is not changed an iota..... We've probably been serving lemon with fish for 1000s of years, but it's only in the last 35 anyone bothered to find out why :)

The real irony of eating sashimi and sushi is that the majority of food poisoning cases from Asian restaurants and takeaways* are from the rice not the fish..... Cooked rice that comes up to room temperature is sitting in a starch mixture that's about perfect for getting bacteria to grow fast.

*at least in the UK, based on government reporting.

My rules for eating fish (Cooked or otherwise) in a restaurant owe a lot to the late Anthony Bourdain:
1. Never eat fish on Tuesday unless the place is on the dock and cooking what they caught this morning. Otherwise: Tuesday's fish is Friday's fish and none too fresh

2. Never eat fish in a restaurant with a dirty bathroom. They let you see the bathroom- what do you think the kitchen looks like?

3. 'Chef's Special: Sushi' on the chalkboard? Sounds like that fish in the fridge is starting to hum and needs to get gone soon. Order the steak.
(Note- that's very different to 1. where 'Catch Of The Day' is a very, very good thing- I had the greatest lemon sole I ever ate in a place called Y Llong in Lllangrannog, Wales. The quay was 5 feet from the kitchen window. The fish had been out of the ocean about 2 hours before it was on my plate....If you are in a place near the sea and see 'catch of the day' then ignore the steak for a change and have a real foodie treat)

4. "Discount sushi"? on the window? Would you eat it if it was called "Cheap sushi" or "Old sushi" or "The fish that nearly ended up as catfood Sushi"?..... Walk away. Pay a bit more.

5. Is the place a proper purely Japanese joint or a place that's dedicated to sushi? Go for it.
5.1 Is it a place that does a bit of Thai, Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese and Sushi all on the same menu- That local place in a small town that should be called "Diahorrea Dragon"?- Then don't order the sushi!
5.2 Steak and ribs joint with 12 different grilled meats on the menu but one sushi plate? Have the ribs.

6.Busy place with lots of locals and repeat business?- Dig in- busy means throughput and throughput means fresh. Empty joint with lots of bored looking waiters and barstaff? Order the cheeseburger.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/