Which multi-tool do you EDC?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Sjucaveman

Re: Which multi-tool do you EDC?

Post by Sjucaveman »

I use gerber exclusively as they have the best one handed opening pliers in my opinion.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:04 pm
I've never really thought about one hand opening tools on my MT's. The main thing I want in that regard is accessible tools from the outside while it's folded closed.

What exactly is a diamond file being used for? Man I all but hate those things in most file situations. I've had real metal file needs and the file Vic uses is very good.

The Spirit is far from perfect but it's my best compromise so far. Eventually I'll probably mod a Rebar and add the bits I want. There are so many Leatherman that are so close but missing bits I need or have poor examples of them (sorry I HATE the little bit drivers).
The diamond files are a world better for sharpening cutting tools compared to the regular files. They also have a longer life span.

The Surge has a very cool file because you can detach it and sharpen the blade.

I like the OHO because I'm replacing my old multitool + clipped Spyderco with one tool that covers all those bases.
:unicorn
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Over the years, I've owned a Leatherman, Gerber or SAK but never got into the habit of carrying them. On the other hand, I have not been able to stop carrying the new Spyderco ClipiTool Standard. Don't underestimate it as a multitool.

The Standard has replaced my EDC Spydie clipped to my pocket. With a real 3-inch blade it slices through cutting chores and it's just so darn handy and easy to deploy. It has the essential tools needed. The screwdriver tips are pressed into action more often than I thought they would be.

Sure a plier is handy once in a while but some multi tools require you to do the Macarena to get the thing open and then you pinch yourself. The extra weight, bulk and limited jaw size just don't seem worth packing all day every day.

And of course it should come as no surprise that the one-handed bottle opener is my favorite tool. Cheers!

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mad Mac wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:35 pm
Over the years, I've owned a Leatherman, Gerber or SAK but never got into the habit of carrying them. On the other hand, I have not been able to stop carrying the new Spyderco ClipiTool Standard. Don't underestimate it as a multitool.

The Standard has replaced my EDC Spydie clipped to my pocket. With a real 3-inch blade it slices through cutting chores and it's just so darn handy and easy to deploy. It has the essential tools needed. The screwdriver tips are pressed into action more often than I thought they would be.

Sure a plier is handy once in a while but some multi tools require you to do the Macarena to get the thing open and then you pinch yourself. The extra weight, bulk and limited jaw size just don't seem worth packing all day every day.

And of course it should come as no surprise that the one-handed bottle opener is my favorite tool. Cheers!

Those look pretty slick, but I like my pliers, wire cutters, awls, saws etc.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:35 am

Nowdays it is the Surge in my bag and a Vic of some variety in my pocket.

The Swisstool Spirit X looks really nice. I have a regular Swisstool and it is very bulky but well made. Lives in the kitchen utlity items drawer
I like this guy's selection. Because I've been a big fan of the multi-tools made by Victorinox. I don't normally EDC a multi-tool but come spring I'm going to be working a job that is going to change that regimen. And it will be one made by Victorinox unless some other company puts one out that has better quality.

I've owned several multi-tools over the years and with the exception of the Spyderco SPYDERENCH that I still own and occasionally use I would only use one of the Victorinox multi-tool. And I don't see anyone else's multi-tools coming in a close second>> because Victorinox took the concept of their great Swiss Army Knives and transformed it to a great multi-tool. So as of now my answer would be VICTORNINOX
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Often in my back pocket slip along with a stream light flashlight and pen is a Leatherman juice c2. On my keys is a Victorinox Vagabond. In my truck is a Leatherman mut. In my tool bag is a Leatherman charge tti.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Crux

Post by Crux »

My daughter (at the zoo) needed a strong set of medium pliers and an easily accessible knife that is lightweight with a carabiner. I think the Leatherman Skeletool CX Pocket-Size Multi-Tool is PERFECT for that. She discarded the screwdrivers and is good to go.

It's all about the RIGHT TOOL for the RIGHT JOB. Something too many multi-tool buyers seem to forget. Sure, I have multi-tools that can perform a dosen plus tasks but at the end of the day they don't do any single task very well. This Skeletool does it's purpose right. At the same time it's not the end all be all like the Para 3.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Leatherman Wave for the past 10 or 12 years.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

This is a brilliant bit of kit, I have found. It comes in metric and imperial depending upon which millennium you ride in ....
A5436B60-3592-448C-B66F-3C3108879012.jpeg
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

By Imperial you must be referring to Imperial Unit Based British Standard Whitworth fasteners and tools. Understandable and mandatory for enthusiasts of Norton and other classic British motorcycles from the '50s and '60s. Jaguar, however, must have had barrels of Whitworth bolts languishing in Coventry. Our shop found some on XJ6s manufactured as late as 1987.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Mad Mac wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:24 am
By Imperial you must be referring to Imperial Unit Based British Standard Whitworth fasteners and tools. Understandable and mandatory for enthusiasts of Norton and other classic British motorcycles from the '50s and '60s. Jaguar, however, must have had barrels of Whitworth bolts languishing in Coventry. Our shop found some on XJ6s manufactured as late as 1987.
... and the same as UNC up to 1/2”, apparently. Yes, we tend to refer to all non-metric as “imperial”. Not at all common in the UK in modern stuff now, but this or BA does turn up in very odd places which has certainly caused me some head scratching over the years.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

My multi-tool EDC consists of the Leatherman Super Tool 200, Leatherman Tool Adapter, and Leatherman Micra...

I fell in love with the original Leatherman Super Tool when it first came out many years ago... it was BIGGER with more tools than the Leatherman Pocket Survval Tool, and it was the first multi-tool built with a locking system to keep the tool in use securely locked in position. Loved the needle nose pliers it came with... the only way it could've been better is if it had a more comfortable handles. Enter the Super Tool 200... it has everything that the original Super Tool had (to include the can opener and awl) plus a better locking/unlocking system as well as wider, rounded, more comfortable handles. And, it still had the original Super Tool's needle nose plier design, which I like much better than what's currently available on Leatherman multi-tools. I have the Leatherman Super Tool 300, but I prefer to EDC the Super Tool 200. Also, the Super Tool, Super Tool 200, and Super Tool 300 carry the eyeglass, medium, and large flathead screwdrivers as well as a Phillips head screwdriver as part of its tool compliment, which I prefer verus having to rely on a built-in bit driver for those features.

The Leatherman Tool Adapter is a wonderful accessory to have with the early Leatherman multi-tools... it turns your Leatherman multi-tool into a hex bit driver allowing you to use any regular, off-the-shelf, 1/4" hex bits as well providing locking adjustments to angle the driver head. I like this system far better than the built-in bit drivers than current Leatherman multi-tools carry.

And, the Leatherman Micra is a wonderful tool to EDC... I've found the scissors and the tweezers to be the most useful of the tools of the Micra, and I like that there are other tools available if needed.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Water Bug wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:21 pm
My multi-tool EDC consists of the Leatherman Super Tool 200, Leatherman Tool Adapter, and Leatherman Micra...

I fell in love with the original Leatherman Super Tool when it first came out many years ago... it was BIGGER with more tools than the Leatherman Pocket Survval Tool, and it was the first multi-tool built with a locking system to keep the tool in use securely locked in position. Loved the needle nose pliers it came with... the only way it could've been better is if it had a more comfortable handles. Enter the Super Tool 200... it has everything that the original Super Tool had (to include the can opener and awl) plus a better locking/unlocking system as well as wider, rounded, more comfortable handles. And, it still had the original Super Tool's needle nose plier design, which I like much better than what's currently available on Leatherman multi-tools. I have the Leatherman Super Tool 300, but I prefer to EDC the Super Tool 200. Also, the Super Tool, Super Tool 200, and Super Tool 300 carry the eyeglass, medium, and large flathead screwdrivers as well as a Phillips head screwdriver as part of its tool compliment, which I prefer verus having to rely on a built-in bit driver for those features.

The Leatherman Tool Adapter is a wonderful accessory to have with the early Leatherman multi-tools... it turns your Leatherman multi-tool into a hex bit driver allowing you to use any regular, off-the-shelf, 1/4" hex bits as well providing locking adjustments to angle the driver head. I like this system far better than the built-in bit drivers than current Leatherman multi-tools carry.

And, the Leatherman Micra is a wonderful tool to EDC... I've found the scissors and the tweezers to be the most useful of the tools of the Micra, and I like that there are other tools available if needed.
The ST200 looks very nice. If I could find a black oxide one for sale I'd try it out!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I regret not buying any of the black multi tools. They look good and help fight that rust that Leathermen accumulate by looking at them.
But now I have the rebar, surge, and Swisstool. I just can't justify another multitool.
The black Swisstool spirit looks so good though.
TV and SV on multitools is never good so I'm just going to be stuck with mine.
But I'll stick to Saks. Waiting to see what the 2019 color will be for the alox. The 2017 od green was awesome.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

missing the Wingman, and Gerber MP800, these are my favorite full sized Multitools so far :cool:

L to R, Top to Bottom

SOG Pocket Power Plier
Leatherman Skeletool CX (has clip)
Gerber Diesel in BO
Leatherman Wave
Victorinox Spirit
SOG Powerlock
Leatherman Blast
Leatherman Rebar
Kershaw A100
Leatherman Surge
SOG Blacktip (has modded clip)
SOG PowerPlier
Gerber MP600 Pro Scout
Schrade Vise Grips 5WR
Leatherman Crunch

when you need locking pliers, the Schrade Grips, Crunch or Kershaw A100 are perfect and have no substitute, the Gerber Grappler is crap in comparison :(

when you need OHO blades, the Wave and Surge beat all others, the Wingman and Skeletool have a 50/50 blade that most people loathe, and the OHO blades on the MP700/MP800 are thick and stubby. The Gerber MP1 and Center Drive have good OHO blades, but the steel is not as good as Leatherman's IMO :o

when you need strong blunt pliers, the MP600 and SOG PowerPlier beat all others, quickly followed by the Spirit's (semi blunt) :)

when you need strong needle nose pliers, the SOG Powerlock and Surge are beasts, the MP600, Wave, Rebar and Diesel not far behind, then the Wingman, MP400, Skeletool, and then Juices and Squirts :rolleyes:

SOG has the best gripping power (and plier heads, IMO) but generally poor inside tools, they are the easiest to mod too, LM has the best replaceable wire cutters (Gerber's are crappy) and excellent implements, Vic has the precision and rust resistance beat, but are a pain to mod, and Gerber has most of the spring loaded stuff, and one handed opening pliers, acceptable inside tools, and great variety :spyder:

that is all my opinion, OFC; and everyone has their pet peeves and preferences, SAK alternatives and combination, bit kits hate and love... But the experience with different brands and models, that I do have. :p
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:15 pm
Water Bug wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:21 pm

The ST200 looks very nice. If I could find a black oxide one for sale I'd try it out!

My Leatherman Super Tool 200 came with the black oxide finish. I'd seen some of my military colleagues using the Leatherman Pocket Survival Tool with the black oxide finish years ago, but those subdued-finished multi-tools were, as I understood, available only as military issue. A few years after the Super Tool 200 came out, I found one in the black oxide finish at a military clothing store back in 2006 and purchased it... I was pleased to have my favorite Leatherman multi-tool with the black oxide finish and have been EDCing it ever since.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i carry a leatherman wave in my backpack for the day to day stuff, but i keep a surge in my vehicle and take it instead if i am hiking. i also have a long saw blade that i can put into the surge for a backup to my folding saw. it's flimsy and ridiculous, but it works and i like having the backup. i also daily carry a leatherman raptor. it's a great tool to have around for emergency blister package opening.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Peter1960 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:04 am
Vivi wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:25 pm
What do you carry?
Victorinox Spirit in my EDC pouch ...

Those Pro Files look familiar 😉.

Leatherman Original Wave on my belt every day for about thirty years now. Surge with bit kit is in my car, I see it maybe once a year and use it less often than that. It's a nice tool, but too heavy, too bulky and has too many loose parts for me to try to keep track of. The New Wave and Charge with pocket clip option are not for me, just due to the bits. I prefer the old Wave's tools.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:07 pm

Yep, I hope so :) and meanwhile they often were handy to make dull edges sharp(er). I still like them a lot for emergency use.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
vivi

Post by vivi »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:07 pm
Peter1960 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:04 am
Vivi wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:25 pm
What do you carry?
Victorinox Spirit in my EDC pouch ...

Leatherman Original Wave on my belt every day for about thirty years now. Surge with bit kit is in my car, I see it maybe once a year and use it less often than that. It's a nice tool, but too heavy, too bulky and has too many loose parts for me to try to keep track of. The New Wave and Charge with pocket clip option are not for me, just due to the bits. I prefer the old Wave's tools.
I can understand where you're coming from. I prefer a nice fixed driver to the bit driver. They tend to have better reach and the flat heads make better pry bars.

I checked out a Surge and Wave in person and felt the same about the Surge. It's an amazing multitool but a bit too heavy to be practical for EDC. I can't see myself carrying somwthing over 10oz every day, and even a Wave might prove to be a bit much in the summer.

I ended up buying a black Wave plus. It was $99. There was a Charge on sale for $110 that tempted me, but in the end the black coating on the Wave was more important to me than the 154CM PE blade on the Charge.

I haven't been carrying the Wave yet because I'm still waiting on a pocket clip from Leatherman. Should be here tomorrow. But I've been using it around the house and I'm happy with it so far.

Knife blades both had burrs I needed to knock off on the sharpmaker, they're hair splitting sharp now. Still not completely sold on the bit drivers, but I'n giving them another shot. I think I'm going to order a replacement bit set and mod them a bit. I'm going to grind the eyeglass sized flat head into a chisel or needle to get some Awl functionality, and I want to make the large drivers stock flathead a bit more narrow. As it is, it's pretty close in size to the fixed flat head. I'm going to bring it more in line with the small flat head on the Rebar.