Have a weird hobby that's hard to explain.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
demoncase

Re: Have a weird hobby that's hard to explain.

Post by demoncase »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:24 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:15 pm
Demoncase, you have some incredible skills! I can't imagine trying to paint something so small and intricate.
You took the words right out of my mouth. :cool:
TomAiello wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:25 pm
Demoncase, that's amazing. I had to send a figure to my sister in law to paint, when we 3d printed a custom one for my daughter for her birthday. Whenever I try to paint miniatures they come out looking like giant globs of paint. Having made many attempts, I'm totally floored by your work.
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:33 pm
Definitely very impressive. Takes a steady hand to do that kind of work!
Guys, you are all too kind- and thank you so much :)

I made a thread with a "how" I paint for your entertainment here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=82651

If you're on Instagram I'm commissarcainscoffeecup : I post every few days with WIP and finished minis if that's yer bag :)
https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Crux wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:14 pm
I used to be a competitive rock climber until I ripped my shoulder up during a solo decent. Even did an ad for North Face back when they actually made their own products. My Dad often told me that it was weird.
Very cool and amazing. A rock-climbing question I have is this: Obviously, any serious rock climbers have to train themselves and practice to improve the skills. But when it comes to "free climbing", where they use no harnesses, and will even attempt to climb "El Capitan" in Yosemite National Park, does this require extra hard training and skill, and are there any safety tools at all that could help in case of a fall? And do they chalk their hands like I have seen claimed to cut down on perspiration?
Crux

Post by Crux »

I never free-climbed on anything harder than a 5.5 during mountain climbing, which is pretty hard but not that hard as a rock climb. I was regularly climbing 5.11c outside and 5.12+ in the gym. I was also a bit older than most of my compadres and a lot of them were hitting 5.13+ outside. It's basically a young person's hobby it's probably good I got hurt enough to stop before I got killed.

The climbers you see free climbing Half Dome and other routes are basically super human. Nothing else explains it. There are always going to be amazing x-sport athletes that make it look so easy when in fact they are 1 in 100,000+ of the climbers out there. 98% of all my climbs involved a rope and a partner. The best thing was all my partners were female which is important as in a lot of climbs you belay, you spend your time looking up at your partner a they climb in case they fall. Basically we both agreed.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:01 pm
Crux wrote:
I used to be a competitive rock climber until I ripped my shoulder up during a solo decent. Even did an ad for North Face back when they actually made their own products. My Dad often told me that it was weird.
Very cool and amazing. A rock-climbing question I have is this: Obviously, any serious rock climbers have to train themselves and practice to improve the skills. But when it comes to "free climbing", where they use no harnesses, and will even attempt to climb "El Capitan" in Yosemite National Park, does this require extra hard training and skill, and are there any safety tools at all that could help in case of a fall? And do they chalk their hands like I have seen claimed to cut down on perspiration?
What Alex Honnold did was probably one of the most amazing feats of MENTAL and physical abilities in the history of human existence! If you agree with the "risk" or not ...truly historic accomplishment! He memorized hundreds of moves and holds (like a Kata) and literally was holding on by fingertips on the "boulder problem "!
https://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/h ... n-w486496/ ttps://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/fe ... l-capitan/

If you get a chance to watch "Free Solo" ....the documentary of the preparation and climbing of El Capitan. ..please do! Even if you don't like climbing or the great outdoors the movie is riveting! https://youtu.be/urRVZ4SW7WU

James

There are no safety tools or equipment in free climbing and the chalk is for drying sweat/other moisture increasing friction and improving grip! People who do this are less then 1% of climbers and only a handful of top tier doing the hardest ascents! Alex is the best and many lose their lives....
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Extra330SC wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:27 pm

What Alex Honnold did was probably one of the most amazing feats of MENTAL and physical abilities in the history of human existence! If you agree with the "risk" or not ...truly historic accomplishment! He memorized hundreds of moves and holds (like a Kata) and literally was holding on by fingertips on the "boulder problem "!

I'm inclined to agree with you.

My palms were sweating just watching the video! :eek:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Crux wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:42 pm
Bloke wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:11 pm
Crux wrote:
I used to be a competitive rock climber
I had a lot worse happen to me. :)
Oh my, I had too... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Extra330SC wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:27 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:01 pm
Crux wrote:
https://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/h ... n-w486496/ ttps://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/fe ... l-capitan/

If you get a chance to watch "Free Solo" ....the documentary of the preparation and climbing of El Capitan. ..please do! Even if you don't like climbing or the great outdoors the movie is riveting! https://youtu.be/urRVZ4SW7WU

James

There are no safety tools or equipment in free climbing and the chalk is for drying sweat/other moisture increasing friction and improving grip! People who do this are less then 1% of climbers and only a handful of top tier doing the hardest ascents! Alex is the best and many lose their lives....
Beeing a rock climber too (but a kind of average-Joe one...) I totally agree on Alex Honnold. Unbelievable accomplishment.
I did some minor free solo climbing too (but in no way whatsoever comparable to what Alex did), so I know what it means mentally...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I suppose this qualifies as a weird hobby that's hard to explain:

Gregg shorthand (anniversary edition)
It's been a little while since I practiced it though.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"