Cold Steel

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Cold Steel

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Also the Cold Steel Mini-Tac Knife series is great. They have the Tanto and Bowie and Skinner. These go hand in hand with the Cold Steel new Spikes that Vivi mentioned.

https://www.coldsteel.com/mini-tac-tanto-serrated.html

https://www.coldsteel.com/drop-point-sp ... mpack.html
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:07 pm
I read an article in which Lynn Thompson was interviewed. He said that he at one point offered anyone a large amount of money if they could disarm him hand to hand while he was armed with the Cold Steel Taipan fixed blade double-edged knife.
Does Chuck know? :confused:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
awa54

Post by awa54 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
I read an article in which Lynn Thompson was interviewed. He said that he at one point offered anyone a large amount of money if they could disarm him hand to hand while he was armed with the Cold Steel Taipan fixed blade double-edged knife. That is this one here:

https://www.coldsteel.com/3v-tai-pan.html

https://www.coldsteel.com/tai-pan-san-mai3.html

There it is in both blackened 3V and satin San Mai III Stainless Steel.

I would like to know what those here who are self defense and knife defense experts say to that if you don't mind. Basically he said a well-trained martial artist, if I read the interview correctly, with this Taipan, could not easilly be disarmed.

That is one amazing blade.

I wouldn't try it... mostly because of the risk of exposure to nickel and other substances known to the State of California to cause cancer or reproductive harm ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:27 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
I read an article in which Lynn Thompson was interviewed. He said that he at one point offered anyone a large amount of money if they could disarm him hand to hand while he was armed with the Cold Steel Taipan fixed blade double-edged knife.
Does Chuck know? :confused:
LOL! Bloke, didn't ya hear? Chuck Norris drinks water and spits Cold Steel Taipans.

I think a very cool and very amazing hang-out picnic day would be where we could all meet Sal Glesser, Lynn Thompson, Michael Janich, Chuck Norris, Sylvester Stallone, Jean Claude Van Damme, Paul Hogan (Crocodile Dundee), Dolph Lundgren, and Laurence Tureaud ("Mister T") and Richard Dean Anderson ("MacGyver") all at one place and have a whole day to chat with and picnic with them. We could all talk knives and tactics and things.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i own 5 cold steel products:

tuff lite
finn wolf
recon 1 xl (clip point)
two handed machete (heavy machete style)
trench hawk

the tuff lite is a great little utility blade that i carry sometimes at work and i like to carry the finn wolf in my backpack as a backup to a mora.

the recon 1 xl and two handed machete were both purchased as more of a joke than anything else. they are both completely ridiculous knives that i only pull out when i want a good laugh. i like to joke that the machete is my zombie apocalypse knife even though the one time i actually tried using it for anything was very short-lived because it's quite unwieldy and dangerous.

the trench hawk was a gift. i actually forgot i have it until i saw the picture above.

3/5 of the cold steel products i have, i don't take seriously. i know they make some good products, but many of their products are as gimmicky and cheesy as their propaganda. it's a silly company with a few hits. i wish i had been able to get an american lawman in od green before they switched away from xhp.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Crux

Post by Crux »

I like Cold Steel. I've been with them since they were Hot Iron.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I grabbed a mini recon 1 clip point-
Guys, this knife is NICE in the hand- there are obviously a few things that are a bit questionable however in the hand this is as comfortable as a delica and maybe even a little better.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

ugaarguy wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:24 pm
Their marketing is frustrating. But the Tuff Lite is an excellent knife for $30, and is far better than the Byrd line. Stupid names like "Broken Skull" also keep me from buying some of their otherwise very good value folders. But the Code 4 for $70-$80 is quite a value for that size knife with aluminum handles and S35 blade. They're also going to make a mass produced version of the AD-15 this year, and I'm particularly interested in that.
Looking good!
https://www.coldsteel.com/ad15.html

https://www.coldsteel.com/ad-10.html

James
Extra330SC

ColdSteel AD10 and AD15 production

Post by Extra330SC »

Great video of Andrew Demko explaining the new CS expressions of his custom AD10 and AD15. He talks about the differences and similarities of these new production versions compared to his beautiful customs. The last part of the video is a Q&A with Demko on his knife making evolution and what goes into taking a vision to reality. The AD15 definitely has my interest. ...
https://youtu.be/rpAT60YSrZY

James

Just purchased another CS Mini Pendleton Hunter 3V (52 bucks) these are such useful blades IMO
Attachments
2019-01-20 10.04.16.jpg
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Looks like Cold Steel did a decent job on the Demko designs! Want to pick up the AD15 when the hype is over...
https://youtu.be/v8Co332HRfM

James
willc

Post by willc »

The AD15 does look good.
Cold Steel does a great job offering excellent designs at affordable prices.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Like others Cold Steel was a gateway drug for me & knives. I first saw them in High School at a knife store in Salinas, California. I lusted after one of the Tanto fixed blades that you could stab 55 gallon drums with. A few years later I got one & it was mt primary fixed blade. Started lusting after other Cold Steel knives I saw in their catalog. Ended up getting a SRK and a Kuhkri in Carbon V steel. Gifted the SRK to a good friend, still have the Kuhkri.

My issues arose after using the **** out of the Kuhkri on camping trips I just could not get it sharp. Called them about sending it in, but was told they could not offer that service. Approached them at BLADE about it & the salesperson blew me off. Really kind of pissed me off. Started missing my SRK so I bought another one in Carbon V steel. Same knife, but it didn't perform the same. Found out that Carbon V steel was a Cold Steel trademark and could mean whatever steel Cold Steel wanted to claim as Carbon V. Seemed shady to me. Around this time Busse was promoting their Iron Mistress fixed blade & Lynn Thompson was saying the Trailmaster was a stronger blade. Adds were in various knife mags with the back & forth claims of the toughest knife. Then at BLADE Jerry Busse threw the gauntlet down and challenged Lynn Thompson to an informal competition. Lynn Thompson did not accept the challenge.

While I was in the Army the Cold Steel Voyagers were sold in the PX. Lots of soldiers had them and they worked well for the money. The serrated blades sucked once they got dull though. Those tiny serrations were about impossible to sharpen. If a soldier needed serrations Spyderco was the best choice. After I got out of the Army Cold Steel knives were sort of fading into the background. There were better knives for the money. Stronger knives & better steels offered. If not for the Tri-ad lock I think Cold Steel might of struggled financially to remain in business. Then they started cornering the market for huge folders. Seems silly to me, but no one else was offering them. So they started claiming the strongest lock of any folder & making even larger folders. Then people criticized their use of inexpensive & boring steel. So they upgraded to CTS-XHP. In doing so though their prices jumped considerably. Lastly some of their designs skate very close to copying design aspect of other companies & makers knives.

And there is my issue with Cold Steel. Their spokesperson comes across as a blowhard that takes any criticism of his knives as a threat. His knives are the best, everyone else's are in 2nd place. When I needed product support I was treated like my business did not matter. I have no use for a 5" bladed folder. It use to be they were still a good knife for the money, but with the steel upgrades I question that anymore. When I use to do knife reviews they were OK knives at the lower price range. The upper end ones I handled were not.

I still have the Kuhkri, I had Tom Krein sharpen it and I used it some. Having a friend who is a rep for Condor has caused it to be retired though. I just got my 1st Cold Steel knife probably since the 90s this Christmas. I wanted a scandi-edged folder and my wife got me the Finn Wolf. It was cheap enough so I can see how I like that kind of edge on a folder. Of course I have to figure out how to get the thumbstuds off since they interfere with sharpening. Definitely an area where the Spyderhole on the Ray Mears folder shines
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Halfneck wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:50 pm
the Finn Wolf. It was cheap enough so I can see how I like that kind of edge on a folder. Of course I have to figure out how to get the thumbstuds off since they interfere with sharpening. Definitely an area where the Spyderhole on the Ray Mears folder shines

:o
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

ThePeacent wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:16 am
Halfneck wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:50 pm
the Finn Wolf. It was cheap enough so I can see how I like that kind of edge on a folder. Of course I have to figure out how to get the thumbstuds off since they interfere with sharpening. Definitely an area where the Spyderhole on the Ray Mears folder shines

Nice work!
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Although i'm not a huge fan of cold steel, i really like This one.
Great "multiuse" when camping. (not killing People).
https://www.coldsteel.com/special-forces-shovel2.html
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:17 pm
Although i'm not a huge fan of cold steel, i really like This one.
Great "multiuse" when camping. (not killing People).
https://www.coldsteel.com/special-forces-shovel2.html
I forgot that is another Cold Steel I own. It sits in the back of my car forgotten.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

ThePeacent wrote:
Nice mod.

I tried unscrewing the thumbstud, but about stripped the screw. I'm betting there is some loctite involved. Thinking I'll need to heat it up, then try unscrewing it.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Halfneck wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:24 pm
ThePeacent wrote:
Nice mod.

I tried unscrewing the thumbstud, but about stripped the screw. I'm betting there is some loctite involved. Thinking I'll need to heat it up, then try unscrewing it.
Very nice mod Peacent! Is it about dragonfly hole size?
Chris :spyder:
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

anagarika wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:45 am
Halfneck wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:24 pm
ThePeacent wrote:
Nice mod.

Very nice mod Peacent! Is it about dragonfly hole size?

the hole mod is from a South African friend, not mine, but I'd say it is DF sized :p
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Clean sharp bevels, beautifully finished horizontal/vertical satin, and great overall fit and finish.
It's weird how your muscle memory fights a different mechanism. . ..opening the scorpion lock with one hand took a few minutes :) Cool blade....

James
Attachments
2019-02-21 15.11.51.jpg