Massdrop R. Laconico Keen

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ladybug93

Re: Massdrop R. Laconico Keen

Post by ladybug93 »

that bronze version is beautiful.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Not a problem Tim.

And yes the bronze is very beautiful, very good looking finish. I got rid of the bronze, I’m just a sucker for plain ti and snail trails, and with the bronze finish theirs no way many of any at all will appear. The bronze will wear very very nicely.
Josh
mattman

Post by mattman »

I agonized over this for a week or so, as all the reviews were excellent, but I have a "made in China" hangup, when it comes to knives (actually, it's more of a "any brand that's not Spyderco" hangup).

I caved, because I'm enamored with the contoured profile of the Slycz Bowie, and I don't foresee any more of that from sal in the near future.

It's a spectacular knife, action is super-smooth, detent is excellent, super sharp out of the box.

I have the same minor qualms as others have expressed, those being stop-pin longevity, and the Massdrop logo feels inappropriate on such a "minimalistic" design effort.

At the moment, pretty happy with the decision to purchase, and considering adding a bronze version to the stable.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Thanks Murph!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:53 pm

Thanks Murph!
Nice Keen!!!
Josh
Tims

Post by Tims »

mattman wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:43 am
I agonized over this for a week or so, as all the reviews were excellent, but I have a "made in China" hangup, when it comes to knives (actually, it's more of a "any brand that's not Spyderco" hangup).

I caved, because I'm enamored with the contoured profile of the Slycz Bowie, and I don't foresee any more of that from sal in the near future.

It's a spectacular knife, action is super-smooth, detent is excellent, super sharp out of the box.

I have the same minor qualms as others have expressed, those being stop-pin longevity, and the Massdrop logo feels inappropriate on such a "minimalistic" design effort.

At the moment, pretty happy with the decision to purchase, and considering adding a bronze version to the stable.
Regarding the no stop pin, I’m just waiting to get a few more km’s on mine, then I’ll pull it down and see if there’s any sign of impact wear. I can’t see how there wouldnt be, all my flippers with hardened steel stop pins show signs of wear but we’ll see.

Reading around I’ve noticed alot of people aren’t keen on the massdrop logo. I actually like it. I’m not sure why but I dig it
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I saw where somebody mentioned the Keen was thin behind the edge. So last night I was getting to know my new Keen a little better and, after doing some cutting on a maple block, I decided to take some measurements behind the edge. So I got out my dial calipers and carefully measured the shoulder under magnification. I was surprised by the readings I was getting. .009". That's thinner BTE than my Chaparrals. I didn't expect that at all.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
mattman

Post by mattman »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:00 pm
I saw where somebody mentioned the Keen was thin behind the edge. So last night I was getting to know my new Keen a little better and, after doing some cutting on a maple block, I decided to take some measurements behind the edge. So I got out my dial calipers and carefully measured the shoulder under magnification. I was surprised by the readings I was getting. .009". That's thinner BTE than my Chaparrals. I didn't expect that at all.
That doesn't surprise me... It's an outstanding cutter.