The Year Of Our Lord 1969

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: The Year Of Our Lord 1969

Post by James Y »

Another great song from 1969:

[googlevideo]https://youtu.be/FCgygATJIOY[/googlevideo]

Jim
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

This is sortof related. James and JD and others, do you remember that band from the late 60s and early 1970s, the Mamas and the Papas? I read that Mama Cass Elliot died from complications of her health problems but that the press was very hard on her and against her; and one of the rumors is that she choked while eating a ham sandwich. But supposedly the sandwich was in the room only.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:56 pm
This is sortof related. James and JD and others, do you remember that band from the late 60s and early 1970s, the Mamas and the Papas? I read that Mama Cass Elliot died from complications of her health problems but that the press was very hard on her and against her; and one of the rumors is that she choked while eating a ham sandwich. But supposedly the sandwich was in the room only.
Their two biggest hits were "California Dreaming" and "Monday, Monday" and were both released in the spring of 1966. After about 68 the band kind of spintered off and went into several directions. Mama Cass Eliot was doing her own work until she died in the mid-70s. John Phillips ( MacKenzie Phillip's dad) had some modest commercial success on his own but later in the 70s he really got into hard drugs in a really bad way. I think he finally died in his mid 60s if I remember correctly. Denny Doherty died about 5 years ago and the only one of them still alive is John PHillip's ex wife Michelle Phillips ( MacKenzie's Mother). All of the Mamas & Papas had severe personal problems. It is rumored that Mama Cass Eliot was somehow involved with the Manson Family members and I think that is true because she is mentioned in several of the books written on the subject. The west coast scene back in those days was known for drugs and around the clock parties. Cass Eliot always had a bad weight problem along with some other health problems I was told. It is sad how the band fell apart but that was pretty common for that to happen that way in the late 60s/early 70s.

James Y I'm so glad you remembered that "Sly & The Family Stone" song entitled "Hot Fun In The Summertime". I was talking to an old friend of mine the other day and he informed me that Sly Stone ( their lead singer) did a lot of prison time over drug problems,. Which I guess is what ultimately killed the group. Because at one time they were having huge commercial success. I think they also recorded the tune "Everyday People" in the year of 69 as well>> but I'm not 1000% sure of that but I think it was.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What do you think of the bell bottom pants?
James Y

Post by James Y »

SEF:
Several years ago, Mackenzie Phillips (John Phillips' daughter and former co-star of the '70s sitcom One Day at a Time), revealed that she and her father John had a 10-year incesruous relationship after he raped her at age 19.

There was indeed a connection between Cass Elliot and the Manson Family. Cass was considered the "Earth Mother" of Laurel Canyon's music scene of the '60s into the '70s. Laurel Canyon is a neighborhood in Los Angeles that became the hub of the psychedelic music scene of the 1960s; it predated and was much larger than the more well-known San Francisco/Haight-Ashbury music scene, which was actually an offshoot of the Laurel Canyon scene. The Beach Boys, Neil Young, and many other musicians in he L.A. music scene knew Charles Manson. I've mentioned this before, but I highly recommend the book Weird Scenes in the Canyon, which goes in-depth into the many strange and sinister goings-on that occurred there, and the bizarre connections that the various musicians had.

JD Spydo:

Yes, Hot Fun in the Summertime is one of those songs that brings those days to mind. A few years ago, I recall seeing a story on Sly Stone on TV. He was living alone in an RV, moving from place to place in the L.A. area. He was saying that he felt more freedom not being tied to a house in a fixed location. He looked a lot different from his heyday.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah James Y I also heard all about that accusation of MacKenzie Phillips and her dad John having an incestuous relationship about 5 years ago. I talked to several people about that and I've heard that MacKenzie had been well known to be somewhat of a serious head case because of all the hard drugs she herself did,. Also her and Tatum O'Neal both have been caught lying about stuff over the years concerning their dads.

That just doesn't even make any sense to me at all when John Phillips was a very well liked and still somewhat popular guy among the Hellywood crowd :rolleyes: ?? I would imagine John PHillips could have had a myriad of female partners at the snap of his fingers without having to subject his own daughter to something that horrific. Also I find it extremely strange that none of those allegations even came out till way after John had been dead for well over 5 years>> and before the tabloids went totally crazy with that one :rolleyes:

Yeah I was about 98% certain that Mama Cass Eliot was in cahoots with the Manson Family. What the **** even Doris Day's son ( Terry Melcher) had even been known to associate with Manson and the Family when him and Candace Bergen were living at the Cielo Drive house ( the same house the TATE murders took place in)>> yeah it was well known that all of the family members had been to that house on previous occasions. Almost everyone of the independent investigators worth their salt who have done serious investigations on every aspect of the Manson Family crimes all documented that one pretty accurately.

Hellywood ( Hollywood) has had a really dark history for many years and the Manson Family is only one of dozens of heinous events that have took place in "Tinsel Town" over the years. It just happened to be one crime that really grabbed the mainstream media in such a dramatic way that very few other events did for whatever reason. The Black Dahlia and many other crimes are just as bad in many respects>> not to mention all the suicides, murders, overdoses and totally ruined lives that have come from the entertainment capitol of the USA>> or the world for that matter,. And some of the finer actors and actresses have had dossiers that would make many hardened criminals blush :eek:
James Y

Post by James Y »

Yes, JD, I do agree that John Phillips could have had his pick of women without going for his daughter. But who knows what goes on among Hollywood's showbiz folks? Maybe other women weren't enough for him? All kinds of weird things go on.

Bruce Lee once wrote a letter to a martial arts friend (IIRC, Mito Uyehara) concerning a trip he took to Switzerland on the invite of none other than his private student Roman Polanski. He stated, among other things, that he was bored; that he was around a bunch of rich, middle-aged European men who were fooling around with teenaged girls who looked to be about 15 years old. This was while Polanski was married to Sharon Tate. The trip apparently made Bruce very uncomfortable. Of course, this was years before Polanski was charged with having sex with a 13 year-old girl several years later, and the reason Polanski fled the States back to Europe. In the letter, Bruce wondered why the girls weren't in school.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:38 pm
Yes, JD, I do agree that John Phillips could have had his pick of women without going for his daughter. But who knows what goes on among Hollywood's showbiz folks? Maybe other women weren't enough for him? All kinds of weird things go on.

Bruce Lee once wrote a letter to a martial arts friend (IIRC, Mito Uyehara) concerning a trip he took to Switzerland on the invite of none other than his private student Roman Polanski. He stated, among other things, that he was bored; that he was around a bunch of rich, middle-aged European men who were fooling around with teenaged girls who looked to be about 15 years old. This was while Polanski was married to Sharon Tate. The trip apparently made Bruce very uncomfortable. Of course, this was years before Polanski was charged with having sex with a 13 year-old girl several years later, and the reason Polanski fled the States back to Europe. In the letter, Bruce wondered why the girls weren't in school.

Jim
Well first off would I bet my house against whether or not John Phillips was guilty of incest? No!! I wouldn't even bet a $20 bill saying that the accusations were totally false because truly I don't know 100% for sure :confused: And you are so right when speaking of Hellywood :confused: Because the screwy cast of characters that are running the show out there now as we speak>> I'm sure their lord Satan is well pleased with all the depravity that Hellywood has produced in the past 50 years :rolleyes:

The main reason I doubt that incest accusation concerning John & MacKenzie Phillips is that John was extremely popular among all the female singers and entertainers. I'm sure he could have got all the action he wanted during that era especially. But would I bet the farm that he didn't do it?? No way!!>> because I'm been shocked several times when truth finally made it's way to the surface.

Now concerning Roman Polanski I don't doubt anything. He hasn't been able to come back to the USA since he drugged and raped a 14 year old girl back in the 70s. Also it was reported among several people that he stated on several occasions that he didn't want Sharon to have that baby she was pregnant with at the time of the Manson murders. Not to mention that he was conveniently out of town when the murders occurred :confused:

Also Roman Polanski was very good friends with a lot of those Church of Satan people. Him and Anton Szandor Levey ( the head of the Church of Satan) were known to be good friends :eek: And after the Manson murders there were so many allegations of him participating in child sex rings and it was coming from so many sources I just have to believe that there has got to be truth in some of those allegations>> well we know he was guilty of drugging and raping that 14 year old girl>> that we do know about for sure.

Also another interesting tidbit concerning his association with the Church of Satan headed up by Anton Levey>> he actually had Levey play a part in that big movie of his "Rosemary's Baby". And The whole theme of the movie of Rosemary's Baby was about a coven of Satan Worshipping witches in New York City>> and Mia Farrow playing the part of the mother of the Anti-Christ. They filmed that movie at the Dakota condo building>> the same place where John Lennon was killed :eek: That's just too strange of a coincidence for this ol country boy :rolleyes:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:54 pm
What do you think of the bell bottom pants?
In the late 60s when bell-bottom jeans hit the department stores it was hard to get them in the right size because they sold out so quickly. There was a clothing store here in Kansas City at that time called J.P.'s Boutique>> they were located at Westport & Broadway here in K.C. And they sold all the trendy clothes for young people and that business did quite well for over 30 years before they closed it.

Don't know if this was really true or not>> but I heard from several different sources that the fad of bell bottom jeans got started because of George Harrison wearing them on the cover of Abbey Road which was the Beatle's big released in ?? you guessed it 1969. I remember bugging my parents to take me to a department store the day Abbey Road was released. I got a copy of the first day of the release but there was only 3 left when I finally made it to the record store on the day it was released ( 10-01-69). It was even better received than the White Album. OH also I got my copy of Led Zeppelin II that same evening :cool:

There were so many clothing trends in play in the year 1969 that it's hard to really determine when a lot of these trends got started. But again the year 1969 had more things happen than most any other year I can remember. I was just a kid then but I have vivid memories of it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Also we don't want to forget a lot of the sporting events that took place in the year 1969. If any of you want to know how the MLB baseball team the New York Mets got their nick-name "The Miracle Mets"? It all originated in 1969 when they won the World Series ( very unexpectedly I might add). The NY Mets were considered a serious "underdog" and very few people had any hopes of them even winning so much as one game against the heavily favored Baltimore Orioles. Baltimore won the first game and then the Mets won the next 4 straight. I very much remember how shocked the sports world was over that one.

Also in the football world my good ol' Kansas City, Chiefs made the Superbowl for the 1969-70 season. They were also considered a seriously deficient underdog with hardly any chance at all of winning the big game. The gambling odds of them winning were way into the double digit range. They literally shocked the entire football world when our place kicker Jan Stenerud kicked several field goals to catapult us to victory. Some sports writers even considered that to be far more of an upset than when Joe Namath and the New York Jets beat the heavily favored Baltimore Colts with Johnny Unitas the previous year. I also believe that was the game that propelled Lenny Dawson ( the Chief's Quarterback) into the Hall of Fame.

I firmly believe it was the KC Chiefs upset in the Superbowl that also paved the way for the two football leagues at the time ( The NFL and the old AFL) to merge and become one big football league ( The NFL). Because shortly after that the two football leagues merged with each other and became the one big football league we have today. Yeah I do believe that Superbowl upset changed the entire landscape in football that year.

There were quite a few sport anomalies that took place that year but those were the two really big ones that many still talk about to this day.
James Y

Post by James Y »

[googlevideo]https://youtu.be/CvzZOoX_9nc[/googlevideo]

When I heard this as a kid, I always pictured the singers as a group of hippies. Back then, I never really heard the name "The Cowsills," nor ever seen a picture of them. In reality, they were the inspiration for "The Partridge Family".

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:14 pm

When I heard this as a kid, I always pictured the singers as a group of hippies. Back then, I never really heard the name "The Cowsills," nor ever seen a picture of them. In reality, they were the inspiration for "The Partridge Family".

Jim
Who ever lived through that era couldn't have forgotten the Cowsills :D They did have a couple of huge hits and one being the theme for the Broadway Musical "HAIR". Not to mention those wonderful commercials they did for the "milk" industry :rolleyes: Oh well I guess it made them a few bucks :o

Them and the Fifth Dimension were about two of the biggest top 40 artists of the time>> along with a dozen others I could mention. But sure the Cowsills were everywhere, in every magazine, on every TV show for quite some time. And who could forget the Fifth Dimension with the super hit song "Up, Up & Away" which was literally stolen from them by TWA Airlines :eek: >> Oh don't forget the biggest one hit wonder of the decade of Zager & Evans with "In The Year 2525".

Truly I've just begun to make my point that the year 1969 was a really memorable, most noteworthy year of the 20th Century. Again two Sports teams that everyone did put in the "Miracle" category i.e. The New York Jets ( with Joe Namath & Co. Superbowl victory) along with the New York Mets ( The Miracle METS) and several others I could mention. You would be hard pressed to find a single year in which so many culture changing events took place even nearly as much as they did in 1969.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:35 pm
James Y wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:14 pm

Jim
Who ever lived through that era couldn't have forgotten the Cowsills :D They did have a couple of huge hits and one being the theme for the Broadway Musical "HAIR". Not to mention those wonderful commercials they did for the "milk" industry :rolleyes: Oh well I guess it made them a few bucks :o

Them and the Fifth Dimension were about two of the biggest top 40 artists of the time>> along with a dozen others I could mention. But sure the Cowsills were everywhere, in every magazine, on every TV show for quite some time. And who could forget the Fifth Dimension with the super hit song "Up, Up & Away" which was literally stolen from them by TWA Airlines :eek: >> Oh don't forget the biggest one hit wonder of the decade of Zager & Evans with "In The Year 2525".

Truly I've just begun to make my point that the year 1969 was a really memorable, most noteworthy year of the 20th Century. Again two Sports teams that everyone did put in the "Miracle" category i.e. The New York Jets ( with Joe Namath & Co. Superbowl victory) along with the New York Mets ( The Miracle METS) and several others I could mention. You would be hard pressed to find a single year in which so many culture changing events took place even nearly as much as they did in 1969.
JD, you have to remember that my recall of that year is a 6-year-old's. 'Hair' (and 'I Love the Flower Girl/The Park, the Rain and Other Things) were just songs I heard on the radio; I wasn't caught up on, or paying attention to, everything that a 16-year-old would have been aware of. I WAS aware of who The Fifth Dimension and a number of other groups were.

I dare say that that entire decade, not just 1969, was one of the most noteworthy of the last century. A HUGE milestone was the civil rights movement and all that came with it. In many ways I find it bigger than the moon landing. There was so much freaking opposition to it from so many. The 'Old Guard' did not want to give way. I hear so many people say how great the 1950s were, and how that all began to change in the '60s. The '50s might have been great for some from their perspective, but not necessarily for everyone. The 1960s was a decade of great changes that are still happening today. Some might say that right now, there are those who would like to go backwards and return to the '50s (back to when things were "great"), and erase all of the changes that started in the '60s. And this includes a ton of people who weren't even alive in the '60s (or even the '70s, for that matter). Our present time right now seems to be the most divisive since the 1960s. It goes to show that in many ways, we really haven't come as far as many thought we had.

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The 1960's changed America, and the world, forever. The Hippie movement gave way to Berkley liberalism and then Progressive Liberalism. The space industry gave us uncountable advancements in our society (some inspired by Star Trek). We went to the moon (yes we did, I knew those people). Many things were going on during that time and we have never been the same, since.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:41 am
The 1960's changed America, and the world, forever. The Hippie movement gave way to Berkley liberalism and then Progressive Liberalism. The space industry gave us uncountable advancements in our society (some inspired by Star Trek). We went to the moon (yes we did, I knew those people). Many things were going on during that time and we have never been the same, since.
Oh there is no question that the entire decade of the 1960s were truly a turning point which by and large established the direction we are heading in to this very day. But if you look hard at all the events in the year 1969 you will clearly see that it was the key year in which our entire country changed. Relatively few people alive today are aware of the fact that 1969 was the year that Richard Nixon's leadship ( or the lack thereof :rolleyes: ) began. I can't think of any other Presidency that changed our country ( USA) during my lifetime nearly as much as the Nixon Administration did.

Incidents like the Woodstock Rock Festival and the Manson Family killings as well as the "My Lai Massacre" all still resonate today in our culture. As far as the moon landings go I hope we really did accomplish that. But none the less all the events in the year 1969 forever changed our society here in the USA. Only the year 2001 with the 9-11 tragedy can even compare with the cultural changes we experienced in the year 1969. Even though the Kent State Shootings took place in 1970 there is a case to be made that it all started culminating in 1969. There were so many colleges throughout the country that experienced the Viet Nam war protests and other protests associated with it.

I can't think of another year in which TIME magazine did an entire special edition book type magazine on one specific year. TIME magazine released it in the year 2009 as a 40th Anniversary special of the year 1969. Until I read that magazine I had never fully realized how many significant events took place in that one year of 1969. I can't even think of any one year in which music, arts, entertainment, culture, and politics changed the overall tone of our society had experienced that is in any way comparable to that one particular year of 1969.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:26 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:41 am
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well it never ceases to amaze me. In this thread I had told you all that back in 2009 that TIME magazine as well as a couple of others did special editions commemorating the year 1969. Well guess what??????? They are doing it again here in the year 2019>> they are again commemorating the year 1969. I just seen one last night with the big numbers 1969 right on the front cover. I believe it was put out by US News & World Report.

But I'm sure that TIME and a few others will be doing it again. I can't remember another particular year in our modern history that got as much fanfare and had as many special events happen as did in 1969. I was just a kid but I do remember Woodstock, Nixon, all the Moon publicity and the Manson Family all took place in that one year. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. But the special editions of the year 1969 are showing up on the newsstands again.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I've long liked this version of Let The Sunshine in by Jennifer Warnes more than The Age Of Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In by The Fifth Dimension:

https://youtu.be/6RmXXTPrOgA

Jim
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I didn't like much about the 60's aside from the music. Pollution was terrible. Trash littered the roads everywhere. Protest movements and riots in cities up north were terrible and the hippies at protests were as annoying as the brainless PC crowd today fighting each other over who is the bigger victim all the while demanding admiration for greater deviancy. All those old hippies that were self labled " revolutionaries" proclaiming open war on our country seem to be teachers, professors and now politicians still striving to bring socialism and communism to America and never got what was coming to them. That issue still festers because of that IMO. I feel no fondness for that part of history to be honest though I do admit I did enjoy the freedom so lacking now with our license readers, facial recognition and government monitoring of ALL communication. No, the 60's were the beginning of a terrible problem in this country that will get a lot worse before it gets better.

Joe
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:05 am
I didn't like much about the 60's aside from the music. No, the 60's were the beginning of a terrible problem in this country that will get a lot worse before it gets better.
Well Mastiff I'm kind of surprised to hear you say all of that. But maybe it's because in my part of the country we just didn't have a lot of those problems you listed. Oh now we had hippies here in Kansas City but it was mostly guys and gals that were into music like Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix. I don't recall hardly any of our colleges really having problems like they did on the west coast or Kent State or a few other places where the Viet Nam War protesting kind of got out of hand.
Actually I did some Viet Nam protesting myself which caused me some problems because I came from a family that was largely military :o And I'm about as "Pro-American" and "Pro-Constitution" as you can get and always have been>> but the corruption of that war was sickening and now most of my family agree with me. We were lied to so much about Viet Nam that it's a wonder it didn't completely divide the country. I also hated Richard Nixon about like I do a dose of Castor Oil :eek: :D Which is kind of ironic because now in many ways I kind wish we had him back :D
But I'm primarily focusing on the exact year of 1969. And if you look into it on several websites about that specific year of 1969 you'll find that literally dozens of events took place that changed our entire culture in a variety of ways.

Even the Woodstock Rock Festival is still talked about to this very day as well as the Manson Family along with just dozens of unique things that happened that year. Again what other year has TIME and several other magazines done specials on specific years like they have with 1969? And like I said earlier they are doing it again to commemorate the year 1969 with the 50th anniversary here in 2019>> I just saw my first one at the store yesterday with 1969 in big letters on the entire cover.