The Year Of Our Lord 1969

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

The Year Of Our Lord 1969

Post by JD Spydo »

Just recently celebrating my 65th year on this great planet it made me do a lot of reflecting. I got to thinking about a lot of years in my life and how certain years had a lot of significant changes and pivotal occurrences. But one year that really has stuck out to me as being one of the most memorable and noteworthy that I remember is most definitely the year 1969. There was even a Time Magazine special edition that I've tried to get my hands on that was dedicated to the year 1969 that was released in 2009 marking it's 40th anniversary. I don't remember them doing a special issue on any particular year like they did with 1969. Well at least that I'm aware of anyway. And for good reason because it was a very unique year in many respects.

There were so many events and changes that took place in that year that probably altered life in the USA as we once knew it from that point on. But since that year I've personally noticed a change in our entire culture ( at least here in the USA anyway). It was the year that they claimed we landed a manned mission to the moon ( Apollo 11). It was the year that so many extremely unusual happenings took place>> like the Manson Family murders that still baffle everyone to this very day. I can't remember a crime that affected us as a society like that crime did>> and to some degree still does to this very day. And Charles Manson to this day is arguably the most infamous USA criminal in history. The New York Jets had arguably the biggest upset in Superbowl history>> and Joe Namath predicted it accurately!!.

We had all kinds of noteworthy historical marks set in the entertainment industry. Led Zeppelin and Blind Faith both got their start in that year. Two of the most iconic movies ever in history were launched that year i.e. Midnight Cowboy & Easy Rider. The WoodStock Rock Festival took place that summer of 69. Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones guitar player mysteriously drowned in his swimming pool :confused: :confused: Oh and by the way John Lennon and Yoko Ono that year became one of the most iconic couples in history.

In the political realm Richard Nixon was sworn in as President and former president Dwight D. Eisenhower died. The Viet Nam war was at an all time low in public opinion charts. Again I don't remember any year in my time on this planet that had so many changes and unique events that transpired like they did in 1969. Now I realize that there are many of you here in Spyderville that were not born yet but I still bet that many of the unique changes that took place in that year probably had some effect on your life if you really think about it.

So let's talk about the year 1969
James Y

Re: The Year Of Our Lord 1969

Post by James Y »

I turned 6 in May of 1969, so TBH, although I have a very good memory, my memories of that time are those of a little kid. Due to my older brother and sister, many of my memories of that time revolve around that era's pop music, because they had 45 and LP record collections, and their radios were always on the popular music stations. I won't go into which songs, because there were so many. I already had been exposed to popular music for at least 5 years by the time 1969 came around, far earlier than most of the kids my age, I'm sure.

I went from kindergarten to 1st grade in that year. I do recall the moon landing, but I honestly didn't care about it. Its significance was lost on me. Dinosaurs, comic books, watching Saturday morning cartoons like Scooby-Doo, and playing outside with the other neighborhood kids were more important to me than the moon landing, lol.

Jim
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Yeah, it's a bit early in my life to have made a particular impression (at the time) I do remember turning 8 years old and watching the Apollo mission on TV though :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I too turned 8yrs old in July 1969 and vividly remember watching the Moon Landing sitting cross legged in the school hall.

We lived in the inner city then and another vivid memory I have from about that time is one of Hippie’s waving around magazines/papers with a picture of a soldier (don’t know from which side) holding two human heads by the hair on the front page. I still remember one had the windpipe attached and my mum trying to usher me away. :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:48 pm
I too turned 8yrs old in July 1969 and vividly remember watching the Moon Landing sitting cross legged in the school hall.

We lived in the inner city then and another vivid memory I have from about that time is one of Hippie’s waving around magazines/papers with a picture of a soldier (don’t know from which side) holding two human heads by the hair on the front page. I still remember one had the windpipe attached and my mum trying to usher me away. :eek:
BLOKE I'm surprised at you. Because I figured you would have been one of the "HIPPIES" at the WOODSTOCK rock festival as much as fan of hard rock music as you are :D Yeah I would have figured you would have had autographs of Jimi Hendrix, Alvin Lee and rock music's first lady Janis Joplin :D

Because I just felt that if anyone here at Spyderville that would have been at WOODSTOCK it would have been you and the DEACON :eek: :eek: :D
Last edited by JD Spydo on Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:31 pm
Yeah, it's a bit early in my life to have made a particular impression (at the time) I do remember turning 8 years old and watching the Apollo mission on TV though :)
Well Larry & James Y I can certainly understand at that young of an age you would probably have a foggy recollection of that time. I guess I need to understand that I'm more of a senior citizen than I want to believe I am :o :D Well I was only 15 years old when I was peeling off the pages of the 1969 Calendar in my own room where I listened to a lot of Jimi Hendrix, Alvin Lee & Janis Joplin on my headphones :cool: I'll be the first to admit that even at age 15 I was a bit perplexed at all the Viet Nam War protesting I saw on TV>>> but I do remember 1969 being a strange year for a lot of reasons in spite of all of that.

When the news of the Charles Manson Family broke my parents for the first times in their lives installed heavy locks on our front and back doors in our home. Before that crime took place my parents rarely ever locked their doors unless they were going out of town for a while. I tell people about that now a days and they look at me like I'm a lying politician :rolleyes: When I was in high school that fall it seemed like we were talking about the Manson Family crimes in just about all my classes>> yeah that event had the entire country frosted and everyone seemed to even be scared of their neighbors and friends over those murders :eek: . It was extremely strange I can assure you. I also remember my dear ol' dad claiming that the moon landings were fake :eek: :rolleyes: Gee with all the hoopla you're hearing about that event now a days maybe my ol redneck dad was ahead of his time :D :rolleyes: I'm here to tell you all that he was cussing like a really drunken sailor that had too many days of R & R leave over that event :eek: :rolleyes:

Even though my 15 year old memory was somewhat sharp in the summer/fall of 69 there sure were a lot of things going on in the year 1969 that I didn't completely understand at that age. However I did kind of side with the hippies because a lot of what they said made more sense than the jive talk that President Nixon was putting out over the TV & radio :rolleyes: But trust me folks it wasn't a typical year by any measure.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

JD and and others, do you think this claim is true or false, in regards to that time period (late 1960s and 1969)? I had a chat with someone about the 1950s and 1960s and she told me that if you were to compare even basic everyday foods for sale in diners, restaurants, and even fast food places back then to what is available now , such as hamburgers, french fries, shakes, and related things, the quality was better, regardless of the price changes between then and now. Her point was that even the cheapest food places back then used better quality ingredients that nowadays can only be met to that quality when you use organic and free-range meats and things. Does that line up with your experiences of the food back then or is that some embellishment going on?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:22 pm
JD and and others, do you think this claim is true or false, in regards to that time period (late 1960s and 1969)? I had a chat with someone about the 1950s and 1960s and she told me that if you were to compare even basic everyday foods for sale in diners, restaurants, and even fast food places back then to what is available now , such as hamburgers, french fries, shakes, and related things, the quality was better, regardless of the price changes between then and now. Her point was that even the cheapest food places back then used better quality ingredients that nowadays can only be met to that quality when you use organic and free-range meats and things. Does that line up with your experiences of the food back then or is that some embellishment going on?
Hey SEF there was absolutely no question that the food back in those days was far better than it is now. Most of the burger joints really had high quality ground beef and even the fish sandwiches were large portions and delicious. Where I grew up in east of Kansas City, MO we had all kinds of orchards, farmer's markets ( yeah we had them back then even) and many neighbors had great gardens in their back yards.

All of the pizza places put out great quality pizza>> not the MSG laiden trash you have now a days :( . Kansas City was even back then considered one of the Bar B Q capitols in the entire USA. We had 7 Presidents through the years eat at Arthur Bryant's Bar BQ joint at 18th & Brooklyn in KC. People would drive for hundreds of miles to get Kansas City Bar BQ (I can assure you I'm not exaggerating one bit).

Even the McDonalds here in KC were good to eat at. I remember it was either in 1969 or 1970 ( I'm not exactly sure which) when they first introduced the Big Mac that most of us high schooler's at the time would pile in cars and go to McDonalds after school and eat like ravenous pigs the food was so good. There are very few burger joints I'll dine at anymore. You can literally taste the GMO crap that's in the food anymore :( .

The food you would get at all the popular grocery stores was not only good it didn't bankrupt you to buy groceries back then>> and most of the carry out foods that the grocery store delis had back then was good quality. To compare the food of the late 60s/early 70s to the food ( if that's what you want to call it) we have now is like night and day :( Yes Sir!! your lady friend is telling you exactly how it was. I long for the days for pizza from the old pizza joints. Yeah even the burger joints were great and didn't bankrupt you to eat there.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

JD Thank you so very much for confirming this for me, my friend and brother! Infact, this person did mention barbeque and told me two of the best locations to find great barbeque back then was the Kansas City Area, both Kansas and Missouri as you pointed out, and, the other area they claimed had some of the best bbq was the Kentucky region.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:45 pm
JD Thank you so very much for confirming this for me, my friend and brother! Infact, this person did mention barbeque and told me two of the best locations to find great barbeque back then was the Kansas City Area, both Kansas and Missouri as you pointed out, and, the other area they claimed had some of the best bbq was the Kentucky region.
Oh as much as I brag on Kansas City Bar BQ I'll be honest to tell you that there are about a half a dozen areas of the USA that have great Bar BQ. North Carolina, Texas, Memphis TN, Arkansas, and places all throughout the south part of the USA also have some great Bar BQ joints. Now KC is one of the best of the best. We have close to 80 great Bar BQ stands in the entire KC Area. There is probably at least 50 great Bar BQ sauces that are made here in KC. Yeah I should do a separate thread on Bar BQ.

But even as good as they are they were much better back in the late 60s/early 70s and I seriously doubt if anyone my age or close to it would argue with you one second about that. Also back in that time there were literally hundreds of "mom & pop" type burger, bar bq, chicken, fish & chips and about any other type of food places you can imagine>> and the vast majority of them were very good to eat at.

Also with all the orchards we used to have here in Jackson County Missouri the apples, peaches, strawberries and about any fruit you can imagine was available all over the county and it was very reasonably priced too. They bulldozed down most of the orchards and for the life of me I can't understand why :confused: Now you've got to go way out in the country to find orchards anymore. yeah it was a great time to be alive
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo:

The weird thing is, I remember many things very vividly from 1969 (and even years earlier), but all those memories are through the lens of a kid's-eye view. I clearly remember when my brother got his new copy of the Beatles Revolver album when I was 3, and when he got the new Sgt. Pepper album when it first came out when I was 4. Also at 4, my family and I took a trip to San Francisco that summer (which would have been the summer of '67), and I remember, among other things, the hippies in the park (Golden Gate Park). Though I was more interested in the cable cars. I remember coming inside to get a drink one time while playing outside and hearing the name Sirhan-Sirhan on the kitchen radio my mom was listening to while cooking. I thought the name sounded funny. I was about 5 then.

Certain popular songs, movies or TV shows can take me right back to a certain age, with details coming back.

In many ways, 1969 is often overshadowed by 1967 and 1968 in the popular culture of 'nostalgia and the news'. Don't forget that 1969 was also the year that the ill-fated music festival in Altamont, CA happened. They were trying to recreate the success of Woodstock, but instead, some refer to it as "The death of the '60s peace movement." I don't know if one disastrous music fest could have ended the whole 'peace' thing, but many think it was the beginning of the end of it.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:26 pm
JD Spydo:

In many ways, 1969 is often overshadowed by 1967 and 1968 in the popular culture of 'nostalgia and the news'. Don't forget that 1969 was also the year that the ill-fated music festival in Altamont, CA happened. They were trying to recreate the success of Woodstock, but instead, some refer to it as "The death of the '60s peace movement." I don't know if one disastrous music fest could have ended the whole 'peace' thing, but many think it was the beginning of the end of it.
That's extremely interesting that you would bring up the Altamont festival :( There was a journalist at the time who wrote about that concert>> Also in the very early days of "Rolling STone" magazine that same journalist named Hunter Thompson went on record saying that Mick Jagger and two of the other Rolling Stones rock band darn near lost their lives at that concert. From what I remember of it I think there were a couple of people did get killed at that show :( .

Now it was in June of 1968 when Robert Kennedy was killed by "Sirhan Sirhan" right after he had won the California primary>> well at least that's the official news media account of it anyway :rolleyes: . That was very interesting as it was tragic because many people in the know agree that Richard Nixon would have never beat Robert Kennedy in a Presidential election>> and I tend to agree with that too. In many ways 1968 really set the stage for the extreme weirdness that took place in 1969.

But you're right about that Altamont festival really got out of hand and it's a miracle that a major bloodbath didn't result from it :( Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are very lucky to have survived that one. Because the ****'s Angels really got way out of hand that day.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I have CRS syndrome but remember 69 pretty well. Had a Jeep universal that got traded in for the 69 Toyota Landcruiser. What a great vehicle. Hit the dunes in Daytona routinely. The Toyota and Gates Sand Commando's left other 4WD's behind. It was a great time, could pull people out that were stuck on the beach and pay for a half or full tank of gas. McDonald's, Steak and Shake and the Pier at the boardwalk. Watching the submarine races at night in the dunes with young sweeties was a favorite. The Allman Bro's were starting to make it big. Fond memories (or lack thereof :rolleyes: )
standy99

Post by standy99 »

The Arpanet was created ( the very first internet ). ;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

standy99 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:13 pm
The Arpanet was created ( the very first internet ). ;)
You are correct because now that you mention it I do remember in one of my computer classes I took in college some time back had documented the fact that a group of Military guys did indeed invent/create the internet as we know it today in the year of 1969. For years it was constricted only for military use. It really wasn't until the early 90s that I heard of the internet being at all used for the public.

Back in the mid 90s about the only way most of us could use the internet was to go to an "internet cafe". Gee you don't see those anymore :D

Yeah 1969 had so many distinctions. Also the list of Movies that were now considered classics out of 1969 is really huge. But Midnight Cowboy and Easy Rider are the two big ones that I can remember.

There was so much great music>> one that comes to mind is Stevie Wonder's great hit "My Cherie Amour" along with "Spinning Wheel" by Blood Sweat & Tears.

Oh and by the way "Al Gore" was not the inventor of the internet :rolleyes: :D In spite of his outrageous claims :rolleyes:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:28 pm
in one of my computer classes
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tdog wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:10 pm
I have CRS syndrome but remember 69 pretty well. Had a Jeep universal that got traded in for the 69 Toyota Landcruiser. What a great vehicle. Hit the dunes in Daytona routinely. The Toyota and Gates Sand Commando's left other 4WD's behind. It was a great time, could pull people out that were stuck on the beach and pay for a half or full tank of gas. McDonald's, Steak and Shake and the Pier at the boardwalk. Watching the submarine races at night in the dunes with young sweeties was a favorite. The Allman Bro's were starting to make it big. Fond memories (or lack thereof :rolleyes: )
Interesting you mention some of the vehicles you owned during that time. My old boss who I still keep in contact with had 3 cars out of that era. One was an Oldsmobile Tornonado , A Chevelle SS and an original Pontiac GTO. He said he made some pretty good money on a couple of them in the last 3 years. And yes they were all 1969 models.
When I was in high school I drove a 1969 Chevy Nova that I bought from my dad. It was a great and really dependable car. Overall it was a great year for a lot of different makes and models of USA automobiles.
Also 1969 was for all intent and purposes the Beatles broke up in that year. Also getting back to the Manson Family crimes it was without a doubt the most mysterious and to this day the most covered up crime in US history. Again the year of 1969 had so many unusual aspects to it.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I heard that for years after Altamont, Mick Jagger was on the ****'s Angels' kill list. The music performer who got the worst of it was Marty Balin of Jefferson Airplane. He tried to stop the ****'s Angels from killing a guy and he was knocked unconscious.

My sister got the 45 record of 'I Want You Back' by the Jackson 5. It was the first time I ever heard them. At first I thought Michael Jackson's voice was that of a young girl, and I was surprised when I saw a photo of them for the first time and that his voice came from a boy. Prior to the Jackson 5, I don't think there were any pop music hits on the radio sung by a kid.

Other songs that bring that year back for me are:
Ma Cherie Amour (as you've mentioned)
Everybody's Talking
One is the Loneliest Number
Sugar, Sugar
Get Together
Dizzy
Cherry Hill Park
In the Year 2525
I Can't Get Next To You
Where You Goin', Billy?
Aquarius
Spooky
Arizona
Here Comes the Sun
Come Together
Touch Me, Babe (inappropriate for a 6 year old? IDK; it was playing on the radio)
Good Morning, Starshine
...and a bunch of others.

Jim
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:28 am
Tdog wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:10 pm
Interesting you mention some of the vehicles you owned during that time. My old boss who I still keep in contact with had 3 cars out of that era. One was an Oldsmobile Tornonado , A Chevelle SS and an original Pontiac GTO. He said he made some pretty good money on a couple of them in the last 3 years. And yes they were all 1969 models.
When I was in high school I drove a 1969 Chevy Nova that I bought from my dad. It was a great and really dependable car. Overall it was a great year for a lot of different makes and models of USA automobiles.
Also 1969 was for all intent and purposes the Beatles broke up in that year. Also getting back to the Manson Family crimes it was without a doubt the most mysterious and to this day the most covered up crime in US history. Again the year of 1969 had so many unusual aspects to it.
In the summer of 69, my brother had just gotten home from boot camp. He bought a new 69 Dodge Coronet RT automatic with the 440 motor. Somewhat a metallic British racing green with white interior. Toooo fast. Classic muscle car. Wish I had it now. I think gas was around 35 cents a gallon. 69 was also the first year of the draft lottery for Viet Nam. In 69 Jackson was 21, and many were running on empty. Fun times until you heard of someone you knew being killed in Viet Nam.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:01 am
I heard that for years after Altamont, Mick Jagger was on the ****'s Angels' kill list. The music performer who got the worst of it was Marty Balin of Jefferson Airplane. He tried to stop the ****'s Angels from killing a guy and he was knocked unconscious.

My sister got the 45 record of 'I Want You Back' by the Jackson 5. It was the first time I ever heard them. At first I thought Michael Jackson's voice was that of a young girl, and I was surprised when I saw a photo of them for the first time and that his voice came from a boy. Prior to the Jackson 5, I don't think there were any pop music hits on the radio sung by a kid.

Other songs that bring that year back for me are:
Ma Cherie Amour (as you've mentioned)
Everybody's Talking
One is the Loneliest Number
Sugar, Sugar
Get Together
Dizzy
Cherry Hill Park
In the Year 2525
I Can't Get Next To You
Where You Goin', Billy?
Aquarius
Spooky
Arizona
Here Comes the Sun
Come Together
Touch Me, Babe (inappropriate for a 6 year old? IDK; it was playing on the radio)
Good Morning, Starshine
...and a bunch of others.
OK let me go down your list and I'll see how good I can remember
My Cherie Amour>> Stevie Wonder ( he used to be called "Little Stevie Wonder" in those days)
Everybody's talking>> Harry Nilson
One>> the Three Dog Night
Sugar, Sugar >> the Archies
Get Together>> the Youngbloods
Dizzy>> Tommy Roe
Cherry Hill Park>> Billy Joe Royal
In the Year 2525>>Zager & Evans ( big one hit wonder)
Which Way You Going Billy>> Susan Jacks and the Poppy Family
Aquarius>> The 5th Dimension
Spooky>> the Classics 4 ( they are from here in Kansas City)
Arizona >> Mark Lindsey ( of Paul Revere & The Raiders)
Here Comes the Sun >> The Beatles off the Abbey Road album
Come Together >> The Beatles off the Abbey Road Album
Touch Me>> The Doors
Good Morning Starshine>> Oliver ( that is his only name as far as I know) We used to have great radio stations here in KC and I do believe you would have one tough time stumping me on any rock or top 40 group all the way to the late 80s when I kind of lost interest in all of it.
And don't forget 1969 was the year Led Zeppelin made their debut as well as Blind Faith and the James Gang with Joe Walsh. Also in 1969 there were two rock groups that were little known>> one was a "Group Called Smith" with a female lead singer named Gayle McCormick they had a super hit song entitled "Baby It's You". >> She was a fabulous singer and in some ways I even liked her better than Janis Joplin >> Also there was a group called "Crow" with a huge hit song called "Evil Woman">> you can get both of those great songs on YOUTUBE if you ever want to listen to them

yeah I heard about that contract the Angels had on Mick Jagger but he wasn't the only one. Also they were out to kill that writer from Rolling Stone magazine named Hunter Thompson>> he had infiltrated the Angels and they were POed to say the least. That's the first I heard that about Marty Ballin>> But those guys from those old San Francisco bands were involved with virtually everything that took place on the west coast. Also one of the very first super heavy metal bands played that show ( BLUE CHEER)>> they were way ahead of their time as was Iggy Pop and the Stooges.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.