Sling Shots: No Longer A Kid's Toy

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Sling Shots: No Longer A Kid's Toy

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:12 am
I wrote the slingshot article in the current issue of OFFGRID. The slingshots I reviewed were all collected by OFFGRID and sent to me for testing. My favorites were the Simpleshot Hammer and the PocketShot with Pocket Hammer attachment. The former gives you a full length of pull. The latter achieved the highest velocity of all tested, but the length of pull was short and the shooting technique was different.

Any way you look at it, getting accurate with a slingshot takes a fair amount of practice, but it is lots of fun.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thank you, Michael, Mr. Janich! These look amazing.

https://www.thepocketshot.com/store/p52 ... ndle_.html
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:41 pm
Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:12 am
I wrote the slingshot article in the current issue of OFFGRID. The slingshots I reviewed were all collected by OFFGRID and sent to me for testing. My favorites were the Simpleshot Hammer and the PocketShot with Pocket Hammer attachment. The former gives you a full length of pull. The latter achieved the highest velocity of all tested, but the length of pull was short and the shooting technique was different.

Any way you look at it, getting accurate with a slingshot takes a fair amount of practice, but it is lots of fun.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thank you, Michael, Mr. Janich! These look amazing.

https://www.thepocketshot.com/store/p52 ... ndle_.html
Hey SEF I'll try to find that old "American Survival Guide" magazine I got about a year ago that reviewed a lot of those newer, high tech sling shots. It's mind-blowing to see some of those newer sling shots that are literally high tech weapons now a days. They are not your old sling shot you played with as a kid. Some of these I've looked at are indeed lethal weapons if you're not careful with them.

There is a reason Mr. Janich did a review on these newer ones I can assure you. This next coming Spring time I'm going to get one of these high tech sling shots and practice with it. Also I've been looking at a lot of the new air rifles and pistols and it's unbelievable how powerful some of those are now. It's a different world than the days of "Dennis The Menace" I can assure you :cool:
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

The very best slingshot ever made was the Marksman 3071 "Laserhawk," released ~2000-2001.

It used a pulley system similar to a crossbow, and you could adjust the power to 4 different levels by changing the cord anchoring position. The full hard plastic wrist guard also protected your forearm from oversized rocks / fireworks when firing.

The pulley system made it much easier to retract, and the overall ergonomics made it very accurate.

As far as I can tell, this is the only video on the internet of it firing:

https://youtu.be/KTEGWm86d90

I was blessed to have parents who were willing to buy me this $50 slingshot when I was a teen, and it was by far my most used backyard toy.

Wish they would bring it back into production, as nothing else compares.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

We used to be able to buy nothing fancy wire slingshots here from the local toy shop when I was a little tacker, but the best one I ever had was a wooden one my dad carved for me when I was around 10yrs old. Dad hunted rabbits with a slingshot when he was little and was bloody deadly.

I’ve pinged more than a couple of rabbits with a marble myself but slingshots like most things (it seems) these days are illegal in Oz. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mark greenman wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:19 am
The very best slingshot ever made was the Marksman 3071 "Laserhawk," released ~2000-2001.

It used a pulley system similar to a crossbow, and you could adjust the power to 4 different levels by changing the cord anchoring position. The full hard plastic wrist guard also protected your forearm from oversized rocks / fireworks when firing.

The pulley system made it much easier to retract, and the overall ergonomics made it very accurate.
Hey great to see you back posting again Mark :) So you're saying this is the C-60 Ayoob of slingshots :) ? It is an interesting looking machine to be sure. Have you seen any of the newer ones in some of the survival magazines in the past 2 years. Now I haven't seen anything like yours but they have really made some super high tech looking units of late. They have some that have a price tag all the way upwards of about $500 :eek:

In the past few months I've been looking at these slingshots and several air rifles & pistols>> and some of them are getting really high tech as well.

Did you ever hunt anything with this unit you're showing us? Well anyway it's good to see you back again.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey I just noticed today that there is a very interesting article about Hunting With Slingshots in the latest edition of the BACKWOODSMAN magazine ( Nov-Dec 2018). For those of you who read that great back to earth magazine as I do you'll love that article. But it isn't the only article I've seen on Sling Shots I have encountered quite a few of them over the years in that publication alone.

With the high-tech revolution that is occurring with many older weapons and sporting goods I think we'll see more people gravitating toward these newer renditions of these once primitive weapons. If they ever devise a high powered sling shots with a cam and pulley system similar to these newer/better compound bows that will be something to take a serious look at IMO.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:33 am
mark greenman wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:19 am

Hey great to see you back posting again Mark :) So you're saying this is the C-60 Ayoob of slingshots :) ? It is an interesting looking machine to be sure. Have you seen any of the newer ones in some of the survival magazines in the past 2 years. Now I haven't seen anything like yours but they have really made some super high tech looking units of late. They have some that have a price tag all the way upwards of about $500 :eek:

In the past few months I've been looking at these slingshots and several air rifles & pistols>> and some of them are getting really high tech as well.

Did you ever hunt anything with this unit you're showing us? Well anyway it's good to see you back again.
Good to be back, and glad to see you're still on here JD.

I think yes, it certainly would be fair to compare the 3071 Laserhawk to the C60 Ayoob
-Both look weird
-Both work extremely well
-Nothing else like them on the market
-Both are discontinued commercial failures ;)

I never did any hunting with mine - never had the heart for hunting after my first encounter with trying to hunt birds with my BB gun. Strictly store bought chicken from then on.

It's certainly accurate enough for the job - I regularly shot action figure toys with mine at 7-10 yards using gravel. And it's quite powerful.

But, overall I don't see much point in hunting with slingshot or airgun in the US as an adult - you can get a .22lr Pistol for ~$250, and some CCI Quiet .22 ammo, which would vastly outperform the slingshot in both accuracy and efficacy for hunting. And size and weight wise, the .22/.22lr ammo is pretty comparable to a wrist rocket and 3/8" bb's, so there's no real advantage there.

I think the slingshot really excels at just backyard fun.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Unfortunately, we don't all live in the USA, and don't have access to .22 Pistols (or any other calibre, for that matter) so a small, compact, powerful missile launcher has a lot of appeal.
The application for tasks that require a quiet and fun launcher are endless.
One of the reasons they are illegal in many places...
SpyderEdgeForever

kiwi, question for you, friend, about knives, slingshots, and lighters in NZ and the Polynesian and South Pacific Islands, and, Australia.

1 If a person wanted to live there and make a business where they were selling and trading an assortment of knives (fixed blades and folders, from pen knives on up to cane and bush knives), assorted sling shots, and assorted lighters, to locals, both the European based and traditional Natives, could that be a successful way for them to provide for themselves and make a good living at it, or, would there be various obstacles they would face?

It seems to me that the Native peoples and also the European based peoples would like such a thing?

2 If a person were living on the islands and also on the seas there, such as doing long term sailing and houseboating, could a properly made sling shot able to shoot good missiles and fish spears be used to catch enough fish to live on as food for survival and thrival situations?

3 If a person had an advanced Nanotechnology based 3d printer that could absorb materials from the sand, rock, and dirt and trees and plants, and use solar energy and water energy to power it, and assemble materials such as super-tough silicon/steel composites, and polymers, and other things, could they live very well there?

4 How realistic is the idea that the waters of the South Pacific are "infested" with sharks? One guy told me that all a person has to do is take a dip into the water in certain places and soon entire herds of Tiger Sharks and Oceanic White Tips and even Great whites or white pointers will congregate there to eat them. Is he being sensationalist or realistic?

Thank you!
Crux

Post by Crux »

This guy knows slingshots.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JoergSprave
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Crux wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:35 pm
This guy knows slingshots.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JoergSprave
Hey thanks Crux that is most interesting. Also the BACKWOODSMAN article I alluded to earlier in the thread made mention of the fact that Sling shots all across the board are not only making a comeback but are also improving to newer, higher levels.

Again many of these newer, more improved and new high tech versions of sling shots have made huge improvements and are now a viable option for hunting small to even medium sized wild game. I'm most definitely going to make some type of purchase of one of these newer/better high tech sling shots but I'm going to do a lot of studying on the product lines and look at the advantages and disadvantages of different types of Sling Shots before I make my purchase. This is truly a great alternative survival type weapon and it's interesting that the concept of the old sling shot we played with as kids is being taken to a newer, higher level.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Slingshots are certainly fun and in a post-Apocalyptic world might have the advantage over other weapons that require manufactured ammo... but until such a time I'll take a spring or gas piston air rifle for low budget, short range hunting and pest control. For under $500 there are plenty of powerful, accurate air rifles and a few pistols that would fill that niche well and they rely on what for many is an existing skill set for accuracy.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

I agree AWA, a Air Rifle (slug gun here) is much more accurate with great shot placement and very cheap ammo.

Also, these days, they are very powerful, to the point, are restricted here to no more than 1000 fps, as sadly, there was a incident a few years ago when a Police Officer was shot and killed while placing a Location Bug underneath a car at a Meth. Dealer's house.

Definitely the way to go for Vermin control and Small Game Gathering both now and possible future E.O.W. situation.
Being able to carry 500 rds in the pocket of cheap accurate ammo has got to be a big plus factor.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

SEF, I will try to clarify your concerns and questions,

1, here in NZ, we already have suppliers of Outdoor gear and Firearms. Good selection. High prices.

Pacific Islands- Importing any weapon (including a Speargun or Flare Pistol) could land you in a Rat and cockroach infested cell for a long time. During this time, You would be relying on Friends and Family to supply you with Food and other necessities. No Family? Starve..
I'm not exaggerating, it happened to a friend of mine in Tonga a couple of years ago. He escaped.

Local laws and lack of disposable income would severally restrict any Retailers from making a living.
Knives in the Pacific are very basic and CHEAP. The only People that carry expensive high Tech. Ones are tourists passing through that haven't had them confiscated as Weapons.
With the exception of Customs and Police Officers of course. (same everywhere in the World)

2, Survival by Slingshot launched Arrow? You would lose a lot of weight quickly..
Good fun trying to shoot fish with a bow, (personal experience) but more successful off a boat with Spear gun.
On shore, a multi prong spear is definitely more successful and is what the Locals use.
Long term, fishing with Nets is the best way to thrive. Local Laws may restrict this practice due to its success...
Most Locals are restricted ($) to fishing with hand lines for small (<6 inches) fish which take a lot of time and effort.

3, Nano Tech. Would be successful IF, you had a power source and I guess access to the Internet.
i.e. probably not in a power down E.O.W situation.
In Rural, isolated areas, Bartering is the way to go and has been since the start of time.

Cash is not always available to locals as it is often a Agrarian economy, not cash economy in lots of places World wide where not highly populated.
When up in the Islands, trading is the accepted (and preferred) method of procuring goods and food for non locals living in area.
Locals will try to get Cash from Tourists passing through. Locals just do not have Cash incomes in most cases. Not something we are used to in the Western World.

4, Sharks ? Consider yourself lucky if you even see one.
According to figures I've seen, (see Movie Shark Waters) 94% of Sharks have been wiped out since 1900.
Seems about right.
Bare in mind, they are Predators, and don't make a living by advertising their presence...

SEF, you are obviously keen on being in Survival mode, why don't you come down and give it a go?
You'll never know till you try... ;)
Last edited by kiwisailor on Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SpyderEdgeForever

kiwi, thank you for explaining this to me. That is a very realistic, if not glum understanding I now have. Thank you.

Thank you also for the invite to go and check out living there.

Someone once told me "Living in the South Seas and Pacific islands would spoil any westerner. All you have to do is lay in a hammock all day in sandals and a tee shirt and shorts, walk over to the nearest fruit trees and toss a line in the water and you have all you can eat sea food and fruit buffet, none of the costs and problems and bad weather associated in the west.

Obviously both your response and what some people from the area recently told me conflicts with that picture. Someone once said to me "In Polynesia you can have all the fresh roasted pork you want with a sling shot because the wild hogs are so abundant."
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:09 pm

Someone once told me "Living in the South Seas and Pacific islands would spoil any westerner. All you have to do is lay in a hammock all day in sandals and a tee shirt and shorts, walk over to the nearest fruit trees and toss a line in the water and you have all you can eat sea food and fruit buffet, none of the costs and problems and bad weather associated in the west.

Obviously both your response and what some people from the area recently told me conflicts with that picture. Someone once said to me "In Polynesia you can have all the fresh roasted pork you want with a sling shot because the wild hogs are so abundant."

Whoa, that is quite a statement, I have to call a Big B.S. On that. I'm sure you know better SEF, you are just trying to pull my Tit to get a reaction aren't you? ;)
Obviously from someone (a Palangi no doubt) passing through with a Credit Card, fat Wallet or both.
For every Palangli lolling around in a Hammock, there are probably 5x Locals working away behind the scenes, to enable the Visitor to have a cold coke and fresh Fish from the Reef..

All Islands, Atolls, Reefs and even Mud banks are Owned/Controlled by Someone.
That Someone may be the local Kuamatua, Tribe, Collective or Family.
The concept of a Unihabitated Tropical Island is these days, the stuff of Movies.

Reality is, if it is capable of sustaining Humans long term, it probably will be !

Turning up and sticking a Flag in Sand and Saluting it for Queen and Country are over.

Even Atolls which where “hidden from prying eyes” are now available to all, thanks to Giggle Earth etc.

All the Coconut and most Banana, Papaya trees are owned by Someone.
Most owners won't begrudge you a Drinking Nut, and will probably climb up and drop it down, but, imagine the effect if every Palangi that walked past expected the same courtesy, it would strip the trees over night in some areas.

When going for a walk up Talau Mt. in Neafu, Tonga, I was surprised and shocked at the number of “wild” pigs wandering around with me in the Jungle.
Being unarmed at the time other than my “normal” Island carry of C.S. Rajah and Spyderco Military, it was one of those “oh Sh!t” moments when One realises that you could be killed and literally disappear without trace, very quickly.
Even those Pigs are Owned by Someone.
Those were big Pigs, 200lb + not Porkers that had escaped out of the so called “holding pens” that every Family seem to have in Yard.

Slingshot be damned, that would just give them a excuse to chase and run you down for dinner...
C'mon SEF, You know you want to.. come on down here and visit. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey "Kiwisailor" that's interesting that you bring up air rifles because that's another thread I'm thinking about in the near future unless of course someone else has some good info and launches one first. Because that's another tool I'm becoming very interested in. Ammo for an air rifle isn't quite as cheap as a the ammo for a sling shot and it isn't as wide of a selection/option either. But they are now making some really serious, super high velocity air rifles and pistols that would be excellent for small game.

But a sling shot does have advantages in quicker set up and it is more portable for like taking along on an all day hike for instance. Also where I'm currently living some of the streams in the local forests/woods have a lot of rounded pebbles that would work great in one of these high tech sling shots as well as being a really hard hitting projectile.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:25 pm
Hey "Kiwisailor" that's interesting that you bring up air rifles because that's another thread I'm thinking about in the near future unless of course someone else has some good info and launches one first. Because that's another tool I'm becoming very interested in. Ammo for an air rifle isn't quite as cheap as a the ammo for a sling shot and it isn't as wide of a selection/option either. But they are now making some really serious, super high velocity air rifles and pistols that would be excellent for small game.

But a sling shot does have advantages in quicker set up and it is more portable for like taking along on an all day hike for instance. Also where I'm currently living some of the streams in the local forests/woods have a lot of rounded pebbles that would work great in one of these high tech sling shots as well as being a really hard hitting projectile.

JD, these days the term "airgun" covers everything from plastic pellet shooting Airsoft replicas, to kids' BB guns, to high caliber PCP (precompressed pneumatic) hunting guns and everything in between. There is enormous variation in caliber, shape and material of pellets for these guns as well, though you can't just pick up a pebble and shoot it ;)

My .177 cal. Weirauch springers (spring piston powerplant) are only powerful enough for short range varmint or small game hunting, but there are plenty that are capable of taking larger game.

My favorite airguns are my Olympic level 10m target guns; a Diana 100 single stroke pneumatic rifle and a Feinwerkebau 100 pistol. Both are one-hole guns off a rest... nowhere to hide when you score targets shot with either :(
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
remnar

Post by remnar »

Funny that this thread pops up... I've spent hours and hours over the last few weeks watching slingshot videos and I even designed and made my own simple plywood model. This wasn't cool enough, of course, so now I'm teaching myself how to make micarta so that I can spice up my next model. I guess this is my new hobby for 2019. As far as shooting goes, I can consistently hit an aluminum pie pan from 20 feet but more practice is needed for any real accuracy. This guy (Zachary Fowler) is quite the slingshot master and he has plenty of videos if anyone is interested.

https://youtu.be/LeG_fpVtll0

Here's some pics of what I have in the works.

My design based on a few models that I saw online. I haven't tried it out because I'm waiting on band material to be delivered.

Plywood plinker and Ooak Forge slingshot.

Making paper micarta.

My first sheet...I think it turned out well but I probably won't know for sure until I try to make something with it.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey Remnar you make a very good point and one I've honestly never thought of before. Using a sling-shot to kill snakes with is a great idea. We have a state forest near where I live and they have some timber rattlesnakes there and I've run into them before. There are also some bull snakes and black rat snakes but those I try not to bother because they are both non-venomous and they do a lot of good for the environment. You can also throw king snakes into that list as well>> because King Snakes will actually eat Rattlers and Copperhead both.

But using a sling shot for snakes is a great idea. It would be a safe way to eradicate venomous snakes where you don't want them. Besides that Rattlesnakes in particular are very good eating. They taste a lot like frog legs.

A sling shot would also be a great way to run off stray dogs too. Because we do have a problem with wild dogs here in the entire KC area. About two years ago I even did a thread on wild dogs that was after me seeing a wild dog on a walk in the local woods>> that thing turned and snarled at me too. I've also heard that wild dogs can be aggressive and dangerous from what guys said on that thread. Yeah there are a lot of practical reasons for having a high powered sling shot.