Sling Shots: No Longer A Kid's Toy

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
PStone

Re: Sling Shots: No Longer A Kid's Toy

Post by PStone »

I’m sure you already know this, but be careful with how you design your handle. There is a lot of potential energy stored in a cocked slingshot. If you’re using something crazy like an 80 lb draw, the handle needs to be able to withstand at least twice that force at its weakest point. I speak from secondhand experience. A very good friend of mine made his own from wood, and had this happen. One of the uprights snapped and whipped back into his face. It fractured his cheekbone and he needed stitches.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:25 pm
Hey "Kiwisailor" that's interesting that you bring up air rifles because that's another thread I'm thinking about in the near future unless of course someone else has some good info and launches one first. Because that's another tool I'm becoming very interested in. Ammo for an air rifle isn't quite as cheap as a the ammo for a sling shot and it isn't as wide of a selection/option either. But they are now making some really serious, super high velocity air rifles and pistols that would be excellent for small game.

But a sling shot does have advantages in quicker set up and it is more portable for like taking along on an all day hike for instance. Also where I'm currently living some of the streams in the local forests/woods have a lot of rounded pebbles that would work great in one of these high tech sling shots as well as being a really hard hitting projectile.
1/ Hi, obviously the selection of Air Rifle ammo varies with location.
Here the selection is mind boggling with dozens of different types, lead + steel + steel & plastic etc, available for the most common calibers, .177 and .22.

2/As to ammo for slingshots being available for picking up off ground, personally, that would be a last ditch option, as my experience playing around since a Kid, is that it may be reasonably hard hitting IF, you can hit what you are aiming at.
Bare in mind that the projectile is going pretty quick and any deformity will affect the grouping by a wide margin.
Stick with the Steel Ball Bearings (cheap and bio degradable) or the white plastic ones, that unfortunately won't break down.
It's like any other ammo, you get the performance you pay for, and you may have to make that single shot count...
remnar

Post by remnar »

I finished my micarta slingshot. It still needs some tuning but most of the work is done. I could have spent more time getting a smoother finish but I'm too impatient for that and I'm happy with the finished product. Take a look:

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

remnar wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:44 pm
I finished my micarta slingshot. It still needs some tuning but most of the work is done. I could have spent more time getting a smoother finish but I'm too impatient for that and I'm happy with the finished product. Take a look:
That is a really cool looking hand made slingshot "Remnar" :) And I'm betting that there are a myriad of designs a guy could put together to make a high grade sling shot. I was even thinking the other day about making one with a cam and pulley system similar to what they do with compound bows. Man that would be a super cool, stealthy weapon.

But what I really like about yours is that it is so basic in design but yet you've put a modern, high tech touch to it with modern materials and finish. I have no doubt that you will take more than your share of squirrels, rabbits, doves, ect, ect,. I also like your selection of ammo too.
remnar

Post by remnar »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:39 pm
remnar wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:44 pm
That is a really cool looking hand made slingshot "Remnar" :) And I'm betting that there are a myriad of designs a guy could put together to make a high grade sling shot. I was even thinking the other day about making one with a cam and pulley system similar to what they do with compound bows. Man that would be a super cool, stealthy weapon.

But what I really like about yours is that it is so basic in design but yet you've put a modern, high tech touch to it with modern materials and finish. I have no doubt that you will take more than your share of squirrels, rabbits, doves, ect, ect,. I also like your selection of ammo too.
Thanks for the kind words JD. I don't know about hunting but it would be fun to try.

A compound slingshot would be cool. I'm sure that I have seen pictures of one and it would be quite the project to design one. I have a chunk of wood that is set aside for my next slinshot so I guess I'm going back to basics instead of making it more complicated. :D Some of the wood slingshots that I've seen are just gorgeous. :) :spyder:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:19 pm
all a person has to do is take a dip into the water
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

There is a spot just off the Coast here, where the Hammerheads do the same thing (maybe not quite so dense).
Quite intimidating sailing through the area with them on surface.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kiwisailor wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:30 pm
There is a spot just off the Coast here, where the Hammerheads do the same thing (maybe not quite so dense).
Quite intimidating sailing through the area with them on surface.
Well "BLOKE? & KIWISAILOR?? Not sure what potentially dangerous sharks have in common with "Sling Shots" :confused: :confused: ?? Well on the other hand I guess there could be a case to be made that a speedy swimming shark could be considered an underwater projectile. I've heard that Mako Sharks can swim up to around 60 Miles Per Hour at full speed. I couldn't even imagine getting tagged underwater at that incredible speed :eek: :eek:

But on the other hand I could see my good friend BLOKE in the Outback trying to nail an EMU with his own, hand-made Sling Shot :cool:

Now I think you fellows down in New Zealand have those Cassowary birds. But from what I've heard about them I sure wouldn't want to miss one of them if I was using a Sling Shot. I've heard that those Cassowary birds have a really bad attitude toward humans that get in their way :eek:
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Nope, those Cassowary Bird brains hang out over the ditch in Aussie Cobber.
We have Kiwis, which are a lot smaller and quite friendly, but, once they reach 1x year old, can defend themselves against their #1 predator, Stoats.
They have huge legs which if you couldn't see the balance of the Bird, would think you where looking at a small T Rex.
I found one recently run over on road, so took it to work and ran it through Rapiscan 5000 X ray machine as a training exercise for Staff.
Surprise, No one could work out what it was...
It was passed on to a Mate who works for Dept. of Conservation to give to the Local Wahines (Maori Ladies) to weave into a Traditional Cloak.
It was of course appreciated, as Kiwis are Protected Species.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

kiwisailor wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:05 pm
Nope, those Cassowary Bird brains hang out over the ditch in Aussie Cobber.
We have ...
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Sorry, I was going to make a smartass reply, but fell asleep and now it's time to start knitting a woolly Jumper :rolleyes:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:53 pm
Well "BLOKE? & KIWISAILOR??
Sorry Joe, we got off track but that was SEF and The Kiwi’s fault. They started it, trying to kill sharks, pigs and sheep with slingshot spear swords and that. :p

Anyhow, Cassowarys live up north with the stingers and salty crocs and I was actually fortunate enough to spy one for the first time in the wild a couple of years ago when we visiting some mates a little north of Mission Beach. They’re a very dangerous bird if threatened and highly protective of their chicks. I’m not certain, but think there may have been fatal attacks in the past. :eek:
remnar

Post by remnar »

I used a template by Peter Recuas to make this "Tiny Ninja" today.

SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

That is an amazing and well-made sling shot, remnar.
remnar

Post by remnar »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:16 pm
That is an amazing and well-made sling shot, remnar.
Thanks SEF! :) :spyder:
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:37 am
...50% Daniel Boone and 50% Johnny Knoxville...
this description is great. sounds like a fun dude to hang with.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i can attest to the pocket shot being quite fun and much stronger than i expected.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Crux

Post by Crux »

I happen to have a wide variety of slingshots. Does that surprise anyone?

Also have a variety of Pocket Shots including the arrow version. I will say that the Pocket Shot if not centered will deal a snapping blow to your hand that you won't like. Especially with the 1/4" and 1/2" steel balls. It's a good product but there are many more powerful ones out there.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
remnar

Post by remnar »

I just finished this one and it is going to my son for his birthday. :) :spyder:

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

That's awesome remnar! :cool: :)