Recommend a Podcast

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Hopweaver

Recommend a Podcast

Post by Hopweaver »

Who listens to podcasts? Can you recommend some good ones?

I have a long(ish) commute and frequently listen to podcasts. I found two about knives that I enjoy: Knife Nuts Podcast and Behind the Blade Podcast. I also like the Brewing Network Podcasts for brewing beer. Which podcasts do you listen too?
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
The Meat man

Re: Recommend a Podcast

Post by The Meat man »

I don't listen to many podcasts, but some of the ones I enjoy are Judge John Hodgeman, Welcome to Night Vale, and The Art of Manliness. I also enjoy D&D so I sometimes listen to a couple D&D podcasts. And sometimes I listen to the Starting Strength podcast by Mark Rippetoe.

Those knife ones look interesting. Thanks for bringing them up!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

Joe Rogan Experience, MeatEater, Planet Money, The Smoking Tire, Reply all, Radiolab
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The knife life, Star Wars minute, 5 minutes of trouble
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I didn't realize Podcasts were still a thing. I used to download a few to my ipod and listen to them. The ipod has sat in my desk drawer for the past several years so I kind of forgot about Podcasts.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

BBC Radio 4 has LOADS of free podcasts that I can reccomend: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds
-"Great Lives" is good fun- a celebrity and a historian 'expert witness' convince the host that a particular person is a 'great life'. Very eclectic mix of people and lives discussed from the famous to the funny.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01flwl8

-"A Good Read"- this is brilliant as it's 2 guests and the presenter sharing 3 books that they all have to read before the show then discuss- so you might even get a few unusual books recommended later :)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006v8jn
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:20 pm
I also enjoy D&D so I sometimes listen to a couple D&D podcasts.
My daughter is pretty much addicted to Critical Role.

If anyone is interested in personal finance, the ChooseFI podcast has the potential to be life changing.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:48 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:20 pm
I also enjoy D&D so I sometimes listen to a couple D&D podcasts.
My daughter is pretty much addicted to Critical Role.

Yes I believe they're the most popular one. They have the best talent IMO, which isn't surprising given that they're all professional voice actors.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TomH

Post by TomH »

Jocko Podcast
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

Mark of the Maker (best knife podcast out there)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mad Dog Radio
Mad Dog Unleashed (sports)
...not knives but. ...
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Please keep them coming if you have more and I will update the list. So far I have only tried two new suggestions from the list, but I hope to give each of them a try eventually. There were some that I could not find the podcast. I use the Google Play Music app to listen to Podcasts on my Android phone.

Here is the list of Podcasts we have so far.
Knife Nuts
Behind the Blade
The Brewing Network
Judge John Hodgeman
Welcome to Night Vale
The Art of Manliness
Joe Rogan Experience
Planet Money
The Smoking Tire
Reply all
Radiolab
Star Wars Minute
5 Minutes of Trouble
Great Lives
A Good Read
Critical Role
ChooseFI
Jocko
Mark of the Maker

I could not find the following Podcasts that were suggested. I am using the Google Play Music app:
MeatEater
The Knife Life
Mad Dog Radio
Mad Dog Unleashed
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

The Q Fragments, in which I read my historical novel.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I listen to a lot of podcasts. Some of my favorites include Accidental Tech Podcast (ATP), Roderick on the Line, Hello Internet, Friendly Fire, The Talk Show (with John Gruber), and Roadwork.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

:Bump:

What are a few of your favorite podcasts in 2021? It's been a while, and I feel like podcasts are very hit or miss and the selection process can be overwhelming. So, if you're into podcasts these days, share some of your favorites and maybe tell what it's about if it's not apparent from the podcast title.
So it goes.
Stelth

Post by Stelth »

Mike Rowe's: "The way I heard it"
is excellent.

When it started, the first episodes talked about a famous personality from history. It's done in a way where you think he's talking about a current personality but then find out it was a person who lived long ago. It's really well done. It has since evolved into Mike talking about his life (from chapters in his book) and how he got to the career he enjoys. I highly recommend it.
:usflag Don't trade your freedom for "safety" :usflag
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Daily Wire is good if you enjoy conservative politics and political commentary. They also have a 15 minute daily news podcast (sans commentary) if you want just news, called The Morning Wire.

I have just started listening to a podcast called Talking Strongman, hosted by a former WSM competitor. He does interviews with other world-class strength athletes. It's very good if you're into that sort of thing.

The Cold War: What We Saw is a 10/10 history podcast about the Cold War. It's about 12 episodes long, for a total of around 9 hours listening time I think. I could not recommend this one highly enough. Very well put together, informative, and entertaining. I was captivated throughout.

I still listen to Knife Nuts, and Sharp Talk, but episodes have become so few and far between it's almost not worth it.
- Connor

Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Knife Nuts and Sharp Talk are my favorites. I can relate to them the most and i love seeing Tom post on here. Knife Talk is probably the best quality knife related podcast. It's more about making knives, but it's structured and they're funny and informative and there's a new show every Monday, so it'll suck you in if you give it a chance. The Knife Junkie and Bearded Gear are good at interviewing guests but they could both use a funny co-host. I listen to Behind the Edge but your BS meter will be off the charts. Knife Making Down Under is ok but the quality is horrible. Knife Perspective is ok for a culinary knife makers show. It's similar to Knife Talk but lacking the same entertainment value. Mark of the Maker is soft and slow. I feel like they're having their conversations in a dentists waiting room kind of soft and slow. If there's a subject or guest that interests me, then it can be very informative and worthwhile though. Da Knife GuyZ, Hustle & Grind and The Shack weren't for me. There's a few others that i liked but they haven't uploaded anything in quite a while. Other than the knife Podcasts, The Jason Ellis Show is the only other one i listen to. It's not as good as his SiriusXM show, on Faction, used to be but it's still him so i listen occasionally.
•• Beau
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Sammy The Bull Gravano
Michael Franzese
I enjoy these two podcasts
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Podcasts make up the majority of my media consumption. Without a doubt.
I don't religiously follow any one podcast, but there are some that I keep returning to (some of which are mentioned already).
- Joe Rogan Experience
- Lex Friedman
- Dark Horse / Bret Weinstein
- Jordan B. Peterson
- Making sense / Sam Harris
- Hardcore History / Dan Carlin
- Philosophize This!
- Breaking Points
- Let's know things
- Knife nuts podcast
- The Minimalists
- Freakonomics

Honorable mention of shows I no longer follow:
- The Knife junkie (used to listen regularly. Lot's of interesting guests in the beginning, but the value diminished as I gained more experience).
- Gear Geeks Live (Pretty much the same story as above, and also they stopped making it - I believe)