Please recommend a decent little flashlight

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Sharp Guy

Please recommend a decent little flashlight

Post by Sharp Guy »

I've kept a Mini-Maglite of some kind in my toolbox for the past 30 years. My last one I had upgraded with a LED bulb and tail switch a while back. I went to use it over the weekend and it was dead. The AA batteries leaked and are stuck inside which is what happened to the one I had before it. I have a fiber optic adapter that fits over the head that comes in very handy for looking inside guns and other tight spaces. So for $20 I'll probably just replace the AA Maglite unless somebody can recommend a better option that's reasonably priced and has a 1" diameter head. That way I can continue to use my handy little fiber optic adapter.

I also might be interested in buying another small flashlight that has a better output than what a Maglite offers. This won't be something I carry everyday but I'd like it to be small enough to fit in my pocket. I'd like something with decent quality and output but I also don't want to spend over $50. So I'm looking for the best bang for the buck. I've been looking at Amazon (Olight, Surefire, Fenix, and several other brands) and I'm a bit overwhelmed at this point. I think I want something that can use AA batteries but will also accept rechargeables for better output but I'm open to suggestions. I checked Massdrop and there's a small light called a Lumintop EDC05 for $30 that looks attractive but I'm not sure about it. The last thing I need is to start collecting flashlights. So I'm looking for some guidance here. Can you guys give me some suggestions? TIA
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Skidoosh

Re: Please recommend a decent little flashlight

Post by Skidoosh »

I like Olight, the S1R Baton or the m2t. I have one of their keychain lights and l1reos that have connected to a SAK and is always on me. There are a lot of good deals and Olight has had some fantastic sales on.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

My all time favorite small, compact high powered flashlight is my beloved SUREFIRE E2D Defender ( the LED version). Even the older E2D Defender is a classic in it's size range.

Also a new high powered small flashlight that I've recently been blessed with is my newer SUREFIRE model 6PX Pro :cool: >> rated at 600 lumens on the high side and 25 lumens on the low side has made it a great all around small flamethrower :cool: I know that the Surefire units are pricey but I've just loved the company for years and I've had nothing but great performance out of all the Surefire units I've owned in the past. Not to mention that the company is similar to Spyderco in how they stand behind everything that they sell>> and not to mention that they are a "MADE In The USA" company too.

Also I got a new battery charger with the new 6PX-Pro that does the "123-A" batteries that has made a huge difference in the price of the batteries.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I have the MH20GT Nitecore, nice light. Nitecore and others have a lot of their lights on sale https://www.nitecorestore.com/cyber-mon ... ntent=snow Now is a good time to be buying.

There are a lot of good brands and lights out there. I also have an older Surefire and an older Olight, both been good for me. I prefer the 18650 platform. Many lights use this battery and/or multiples. The USB rechargeable lights save you from buying an additional charger if you don't already have one and they can be recharged easily while on the go. If you decide on a side switch, make sure the switch is readily accessible. Don't want to be fumbling for it in the dark. A little dab of silicone grease on threads and O-rings goes a long way. Tough decision because there are so many good lights and brands out there.
Nate

Post by Nate »

If you stick with AA/AAA lights, get some NiMH rechargables (Eneloop) or use lithium primaries. They won't leak like alkalines.

Also, if you want to explore a lot of great bang for your buck options, head over to budgetlightforum.com. I've found that brands like Lumintop, Thorfire, Convoy, and Sofirn (to name a few) have a ton of quality options.
:spyder:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Olight S1R Baton is really good.

I also like the Nitecore MT10C (currently EDCing that one).

The Nitecore MT22C is also a great light, but a little bigger. I have that one in one of my kits.

I really like variable brightness, and I also like having red available--I use it when I get home late and everyone is asleep, so I don't have to wake my wife up when I come in.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I bought an Olight S1R II a couple of weeks ago, it's awesome!!!

If you're quick you can still benefit from the cyber monday sale

https://www.olightstore.com/led-flashli ... r-ii-baton

I wish I'd got the titanium version now but I'm still really happy, it's quality through and through.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Lots of great option guys. Thanks!

I'm looking hard at the Olight S1R II and the S2R II. S2R is a little bigger but I won't be carrying it that much. Mostly using around the house and maybe carrying it if we walk the neighborhood at night. I like the fact that these have a battery indicator and I can charge without removing the battery.

Any issues with buying replacement batteries for these if necessary?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Best bang for your buck IMO is the OLIGHT I3E EOS - $10 single mode flashlight that as bright as any AAA flashlight, and one of the smallest/lightest AAA flashlights out there. You should really buy one regardless if you get another.

Replacement batteries are easy to find for the Olight Baton series. Personally I never liked the UI though.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

abbazaba wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:14 pm
Best bang for your buck IMO is the OLIGHT I3E EOS - $10 single mode flashlight that as bright as any AAA flashlight, and one of the smallest/lightest AAA flashlights out there. You should really buy one regardless if you get another.

Replacement batteries are easy to find for the Olight Baton series. Personally I never liked the UI though.
the I3E EOS looks good. The I1R EOS too. I may add one of those two. We'll see. Like I said in the OP. I really don't need to end up with a bunch of flashlights.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:56 pm
abbazaba wrote:

the I3E EOS looks good. The I1R EOS too. I may add one of those two. We'll see. Like I said in the OP. I really don't need to end up with a bunch of flashlights.
Those 10180 battery flashlights are awesome, and a Jetbeam Mini-1 copper is always in my pocket on my keys. The 10180 USB lights are all basically the same and the I1R EOS is probably great. I really like the intuitive twist for moonlight mode, then twist a little further for full brightness. The run time is roughly half of the AAA I3E EOS (~30mins vs ~60mins), but they seem like they last forever if you're only using it occasionally.
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

check out the Fenix E18R - small, USB rechargeable..
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

I'm not very hip on flashlights, but I've been using a Streamlight Microstream for about a year now and I would recommend it, especially for the price. I use the Harbor Freight coupon for a constant free supply of AAA batteries.

http://www.hfqpdb.com/coupons/24_FREE_2 ... .9988.jpeg
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hey Pat, it mightn’t be exactly what you’re after but I nearly fell over the first time a sparked a little Photon II keychain light in the dark. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
awa54

Post by awa54 »

this one was given as a gift last year and received with enthusiasm! lots of lumens in a very small package and it's still going strong over a year later...

OLIGHT Bundle Best EDC Flashlight S1 500 Lumens Cree XM-L2 CW LED Flashlight and 1pc 1500mah CR123A Battery,Black

undoubtedly available in many other places than on Amazon, but this kit is what I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016Q ... UTF8&psc=1

of course it'll run on a plain old disposable CR123 lithium cell as well.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:56 pm
abbazaba wrote:

So I went ahead and ordered the S2R II. It seems like a nice little light and the Black Friday sale price brought the price down to $56. That's right in my price range. I also added the I1R. That should work nicely on my key chain. Then...on the check out page I noticed a note that said "don't forget to add your free I3E to your cart". So I now I have one of those coming too. :)

Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Wow, that's a nice little collection. I think you'll be blown away by the S2RII output (the 18650 form factor is the best out there for performance density right now), as well as impressed by the I1R practicality, and the I3E value (everyone I know got one for Christmas a couple years ago). Enjoy!
Crux

Post by Crux »

I like this one and keep two in my pocket.

https://www.slughaus.com/new-page/
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I know you already picked one out, but for anyone else reading, for $30-35 the best bang for your buck is the Nightcore TIP with the 'CRI' bulb.
4 settings, 1-240 lumen = (46hr-30min run time), usb rechargeable li-ion battery, bout the size of a car fob. You can put a lanyard on it, or attach it to your keychain. It's the smallest/brightest flashlight I've been able to find.

The CRI bulb is more like natural sunlight than the 'cool white' bulbs on most flashlights, so color fidelity is high, once you get used to it, it's hard to go back to the 'cool white'. I carry one every where.
https://www.nitecorestore.com/Nitecore- ... 17-cri.htm
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Crux wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:52 pm
I like this one and keep two in my pocket.

https://www.slughaus.com/new-page/
That's cool! I'd probably end up trying to shoot it. :)
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:04 am
I know you already picked one out, but for anyone else reading, for $30-35 the best bang for your buck is the Nightcore TIP with the 'CRI' bulb.
4 settings, 1-240 lumen = (46hr-30min run time), usb rechargeable li-ion battery, bout the size of a car fob. You can put a lanyard on it, or attach it to your keychain. It's the smallest/brightest flashlight I've been able to find.

The CRI bulb is more like natural sunlight than the 'cool white' bulbs on most flashlights, so color fidelity is high, once you get used to it, it's hard to go back to the 'cool white'. I carry one every where.
https://www.nitecorestore.com/Nitecore- ... 17-cri.htm
That's a nice little light too!

My order from OLIGHT should be delivered today. I could've used those lights this past weekend.