NCAA Football

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

NCAA Football

Post by MacLaren »

Well, what a weekend.
A few things.....
Ohio State crushed Michigan. - But, I am still not convinced that they are top 4 quality. Getting absolutely mauled by Perdue and just barely escaping Maryland leaves heavy doubt in my mind.
Notre Dame remains undefeated. - But, who in the **** have they beaten? I mean really? They beat USC. Big deal lol. They should not be in the top 4 imo. Thier schedule is a joke.
Texas A&M 74 - LSU 72 in 7 Over Times lol.....enough said.
Clemson finished out the season undefeated. The solid #2 team in the Nation.
Oklahoma defeated WVU in Morgantown 59-56. The Sooners should be the #4 team in the Country imo.
Georgia takes care of business. I have the Bulldogs as #3 in the Country. Schedule is brutal, and even with a potential loss to Alabama in the SEC Championship, they are still miles ahead of Notre Dame imo.
So, my top 4...
1. Alabama Crimson Tide
2. Clemson Tigers
3. Georgia Bulldogs
4. Oklahoma Sooners
On the outside looking in.....
Ohio State
Notre Dame
MacLaren

Re: NCAA Football

Post by MacLaren »

I'm sure there are some irate Irish fans out there :D
....and Buckeyes :D
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I still think the real national championship is going to be played in the Georgia Dome, in early December.

Maybe Clemson will surprise us all and beat the Tide in January, though.

Georgia is graduating almost no one this year, so next year is looking really good for the Dawgs.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:06 pm
I still think the real national championship is going to be played in the Georgia Dome, in early December.

Maybe Clemson will surprise us all and beat the Tide in January, though.

Georgia is graduating almost no one this year, so next year is looking really good for the Dawgs.
I hear ya Tom. But, I like Clemson a whisker better than UGA.
That QB for Clemson is phenomenal. Not to take anything away from Fromm though. Hes playing lights out here lately.
As for Bama, they are beatable imo. But.....its gonna take a heckuva game from a seriously talented team like either UGA or Clemson. I also feel the Sooners have the offensive firepower to score on Bama as well.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think 1.Alabama 2. Clemson 3. UGA. But Notre Dame has the most accurate QB so I would not discount them.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:34 pm
I think 1.Alabama 2. Clemson 3. UGA. But Notre Dame has the most accurate QB so I would not discount them.
Ya know Dan, I will say this. In 1992 - I believe it was anyways, The Miami Hurricanes were loaded. I think they usually got 60 out 61 1st place votes ( I think there were 61 votes ) but, 1 guy always voted his #1 vote for Alabama. And he was ridiculed. Miami was explosive and well, just the Canes. At any rate, the guy said it was the best defense he had ever seen. Still, people laughed at him. Well, we all know what happened. Alabama won the National Championship over Miami that year. 34-13.
So, yes, Notre Dame may just suprise us all.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:42 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:34 pm
Ya know Dan, I will say this. In 1992 - I believe it was anyways, The Miami Hurricanes were loaded. I think they usually got 60 out 61 1st place votes ( I think there were 61 votes ) but, 1 guy always voted his #1 vote for Alabama. And he was ridiculed. Miami was explosive and well, just the Canes. At any rate, the guy said it was the best defense he had ever seen. Still, people laughed at him. Well, we all know what happened. Alabama won the National Championship over Miami that year. 34-13.
So, yes, Notre Dame may just suprise us all.
Back in those days there was so much prejudice in the North about Southern teams it was hard for teams like AL to get any recognition. AL even won the national championship and it angered some of the powerful schools up there so much that they gave it to another team one year. Then they started playing teams in the SEC...Alabama was the first Southern team allowed to play Northern teams and were only invited to play in 1925 for the first time. Alabama won that year, and the next and were the National Champions.

The system in place now, though not perfect, is light years ahead of what they had in the '60's.

Going back to the 1800's, Princeton claims to have won 28 national championships and Yale 17. But those were a long time ago. Alabama has won 17 (1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017), 4 unclaimed titles (1945, 1966, 1975, 1977). If AL accepted the unclaimed titles that would give them 21 National Championships. With the ones they claim they are tied with old time Yale and may pass them this year.
Ohio has won 8 and Notre Dame 9 (13).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Good info Dan.
I believe at one time Army was a powerhouse too.
And I wouldn't mind an 8 team playoff either.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Huge Breaking News out of Columbus, Ohio this a.m.
*** Urban Meyer will resign after 2019 Rose Bowl ***
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OK guys I'll be up front with you all. I used to sort of be a college football & basketball fan but for the past 20 years I pretty much only follow the NFL and NBA to some degree. But a friend of mine told me the other day that the college coaches are making more than NFL coaches :confused: I didn't argue with him because I just don't know for sure. But he said that Nick Saban ( Alabama coach) was making around 40 million a year :confused: . **** he wasn't making anywhere near that when he was the Miami Dolfins coach a few years back>> and by the way his tenure with the Dolfins wasn't all that good either.

But I got to wondering because that one guy that coached the Atlanta Falcons for a short time very quickly went back to the college ranks>> his name escapes me at this time but he came from the college ranks to the NFL but couldn't wait to get back to Arkansas I think it was. His name will come to me before the day is over.

Even when the Dallas Cowboys got Barry Switzer from Oklahoma he didn't last long with the Cowboys either and I'm not sure what he did after that. But when that one guy told me that Nick Saban was making around 40 million a year I was in a state of shock and couldn't hardly believe it. Because even with the new contract that the Oakland Raiders gave Jon Gruden doesn't come out anywhere near that lofty sum. Do colleges actually have that kind of sports budget :eek: ????

And I hope I didn't detract from your thread on college football because I have a few friends that are fanatical about the Missouri Tigers and KU Jayhawks. And I couldn't tell you what either one of those teams did this entire year. But I knew that some of you would probably know how much Alabama coach Nick Saban is making a year. I have heard that they are favored to win the National championship. But due to time restraints and loss of interests I'm only an NFL fan anymore :o
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I hear ya JD. Until I was about 35, I loved college football.
The bowl games and everything. But, as I've aged, I'm now more into the NFL. Just like with college basketball, everything is faster and smoother in the pros.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:42 pm
I hear ya JD. Until I was about 35, I loved college football.
The bowl games and everything. But, as I've aged, I'm now more into the NFL. Just like with college basketball, everything is faster and smoother in the pros.
Yeah that's where I'm kind of coming from too. Because college football and basketball have literally become the "Minor Leagues" for the professional ranks. And there is so much under the table politics involved>> if you don't believe me just look at the way they black-balled "Tim Tebow" :( He has a lot more talent than most of the second string QBs in the league. And he wasn't a troublemaker like a few them that got the velvet hammer.

If Alabama is paying Nick Saban 40 Million a year then they should have enough cash flow to offer free scholarships by the hundreds IMO. AS mad as I currently am about Kareem Hunt and his dismissal from the KC Chiefs and as disgusting as his offense was there are some college athletes that make that look pale by comparison. A good friend of mine worked for the University of Oklahoma and he told me some horror stories about what their college football players have been guilty of and it is disgusting beyond belief :mad: He said that the NCAA is so political and full of "under the table" deals that the make the "Mafia" look like a legitimate business :(

But I prefer the Pro ranks anymore because they are the hand picked best of the hand picked best. Also when these poor college athletes get hurt or disabled the school just chews them up and spits them out>> and these poor guys don't even have any money to fall back on.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

National Semi Finals
Goodyear Cotton Bowl
Clemson 30
Notre Dame 3
The Tigers leave No Doubt.

Game 2 The Capital One Orange Bowl
Alabama 45
Oklahoma 27
4th Qtr.
Last edited by MacLaren on Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:18 pm
Well, what a weekend.
A few things.....
Ohio State crushed Michigan. - But, I am still not convinced that they are top 4 quality. Getting absolutely mauled by Perdue and just barely escaping Maryland leaves heavy doubt in my mind.
Notre Dame remains undefeated. - But, who in the **** have they beaten? I mean really? They beat USC. Big deal lol. They should not be in the top 4 imo. Thier schedule is a joke.
Texas A&M 74 - LSU 72 in 7 Over Times lol.....enough said.
Clemson finished out the season undefeated. The solid #2 team in the Nation.
Oklahoma defeated WVU in Morgantown 59-56. The Sooners should be the #4 team in the Country imo.
Georgia takes care of business. I have the Bulldogs as #3 in the Country. Schedule is brutal, and even with a potential loss to Alabama in the SEC Championship, they are still miles ahead of Notre Dame imo.
So, my top 4...
1. Alabama Crimson Tide
2. Clemson Tigers
3. Georgia Bulldogs
4. Oklahoma Sooners
On the outside looking in.....
Ohio State
Notre Dame
I agree Alabama and Clemson clear #1 and #2. While Ga may be a more physical team overall, Murray at QB could make the difference if these two were to play.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I really liked Georgia, because Alabama just barely defeated them.
That says volumes imo.
Georgia just destroyed themselves when they let LSU not only beat them, but beat them badly.
Nothing against LSU, they are a quality team to be sure.
Its just hard for any team to make the playoffs with 2 losses, and especially a lopsided loss ( Ohio State vs Purdue as well )
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

May be the 2 best QB's in the country playing tonight. Tua throws an incredibly beautiful pass, nearly perfect every time. Murray plays with such heart and overall skill ,including his scrambling ability. A team player and leader. Fun to watch these two, though tired of the Bama dominance.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Tdog wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:44 pm
May be the 2 best QB's in the country playing tonight. Tua throws an incredibly beautiful pass, nearly perfect every time. Murray plays with such heart and overall skill ,including his scrambling ability. A team player and leader. Fun to watch these two, though tired of the Bama dominance.
I hear ya, it's just OU's defense is so utterly suspect. It has been all year long.
As for Clemson vs Alabama, I think the Crimson Tide will win.
I think Alabama has the best defense in the country.
I also dont believe that Clemson's offense is as good as OU's offense. That being said, Bama is just so dominant on both sides of the ball. Saban will have 7 National Championships before long.....
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow. Texas has came out very strong against UGA.
I gotta wander how much UGA really wants to win this game.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Roll Tide, y'all!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Whoooo......its mighty, mighty hard to keep that Tide from rollin!
Clemson has a shot, no doubt, but my money would be on the Crimson Tide.