What's your reason for doing a high grit "polished" edge?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.

I don't, because I don't have the tools or skills.
7%
I don't, because I prefer coarse/toothy edges.
40%
I only apply a high grit finish to blades that are suited to fine detail work and have steels that are appropriate for a fine edge.
40%
I polish all my edges to a high grit finish, no matter what, I like to have the smoothest edge possible..
13%
I polish all my edges because I prefer the look of a mirror finished bevel.
No votes

Total votes: 15

awa54

Post by awa54 »

I find that despite my recent interest in high-carbide steels that tend to perform well with comparatively coarse edge finishes, I have long thought that a blade which has been taken to an extremely fine razor-like edge gives both very effective cutting performance and a sense of accomplishment and skill.

Is your goal in sharpening strictly function, mostly cosmetic, both in equal parts? Do you own a steel that benefits from this sort of sharpening protocol, or do all of yours want a 400 grit ripsaw edge?

For me, the cosmetics are secondary to function and I only persue finishes above 800 grit on certain steels... Despite my Japanese HC kitchen knives being able to benefit from a 1µ finish edge, I usually pull up far short of that, since they're going to be re-sharpened soon and the toothier edge off a 5000 JIS grit stone is more useful cutting food than a higher grit finish. My wood working knives get the finest finish I can apply, but again cosmetics are not a concern, since they will be used immediately and looks matter 0% for function.

Some of my prettier Spydercos get a cosmetically polished edge as an afterthought to the functionally polished edge, but ones that are headed for immediate yard or garden work get the dry buffing skipped (the Venev diamond hones leave a bright polish if worked lightly until they dry).
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
vivi

Re: What's your reason for doing a high grit "polished" edge?

Post by vivi »

I can whittle individual hairs straight off my medium spyderco stones, and slicing performance is higher than if I go with a polished edge. So to me it stopped making sense to go with polished edges. They have slightly higher push cutting performance, but tend to lose their edge quicker along with taking more time to apply.

I still have my UF sharpmaker rods and bench stone, but I don't use them much.

I do like a polished edge on SE knives. I figure a SE will slice things well regardless of finish, so might as well optimize the grit for push cutting to make up for its weaker area.
:unicorn
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I don't see the point of a mirror polish besides that they look great. I can't do them but I've had them done and didn't notice anything better about it--besides it looked dope.
Lately I've been giving most of my knives the technique vivi recommended: 400-600 on the bevel and then fine or uf stines on the microbevel. Vivi was right, sharpening is now taking a lot less time. If I'm not going to micro bevel the knife, then I go up to 1500.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I could have checked all those boxes at one time or another. These days I just leave the bevel at about 600-1000 grit and I'm good.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I use to like polished edges, but they are mainly just for looks. I don’t even use my fine stones anymore, everything is finished on my medium stones and are hair popping sharp, or sharp enough for me!
Josh
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I voted for option 3.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I find that a toothy edge suits my purposes best. DMT fine or Spyderco medium for most knives, DMT coarse or Spyderco diamond/CBN for very high carbide steels like Maxamet and S110V.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

For lack of alternative combining option 1 and 2 i voted 1 :)
I don't find it worth the effort and money buying all the stuff necessary, and even if i did, i wouldn't bother "mirroring" every knife i own.
My kitchen knives rarely see anything north of 600 grit for example, and they shave hair..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Varies greatly, but sometimes I like to give my favorite knives a little extra love, and attempt to get the most refined edge possible. Also depends on the steel.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The only blades I take to a high grit finish are true zero ground Scandinavians I push cut wood with. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Only 1 or 2 of my knives have a coarse finish. I prefer the way smooth edges cut and like the way the look as well. Obviously I do a lot of push cutting. Most of the steels I like support a high polish. S30V, M390, Hap40, Super Blue, ZDP189, Maxamet, Rex45, M4, (SE)H1. I've been experimenting more with coarser finishes lately on steels like S110V in an attempt to branch out a little and take advantage of the high carbide volume. But I'm a polished edges guy in general.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal