For SEF: Best All Around Shotgun

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: For SEF: Best All Around Shotgun

Post by Doc Dan »

The reason I do not prefer the 870 is that if I were to lose the use of one arm, I could not easily manipulate the shotgun for followup shots (or even the first one) since I would have to rack the slide. Remember the FBI agent in the Miami shootout? I had a police officer lie down behind low cover and try to use a pump shotgun without exposing himself to fire. He could not do it. With the semi-auto he could do it easily. Give me a reliable semi-auto, any day.

(of course, there is nothing like the sound of a slide racking a round into the chamber to make a bad guy wet his britches!)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:02 am
The reason I do not prefer the 870 is that if I were to lose the use of one arm, I could not easily manipulate the shotgun for followup shots (or even the first one) since I would have to rack the slide. Remember the FBI agent in the Miami shootout? I had a police officer lie down behind low cover and try to use a pump shotgun without exposing himself to fire. He could not do it. With the semi-auto he could do it easily. Give me a reliable semi-auto, any day.

(of course, there is nothing like the sound of a slide racking a round into the chamber to make a bad guy wet his britches!)

The big thing (smartest) is to not move around in the house so the bad guys know your location.

Have the shotgun ready and phone, call 911 and sit and wait and hope the cops get there before you would have to shoot anyone.

The bad guy(s) having to look for you is good because you will know their location and you would be ready just in case.

Not many people will survive and close hit from 12 gauge 00 BUCK so it's likely only one shot would be needed, more if there are multiple intruders however.

Would also be easier to defend in court if the worst happens.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Tdog wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:45 am
I'm partial to the Browning's. Have a older light 12 in excellent condition, this would be my favorite. Great all purpose shotgun. Wasn't sure what SEF meant, Mossberg 500 Mariner would be my choice
Basically something reliable and high enough quality that with regular maintenance it won't break down easilly, and can accept suitable rounds and any capable adult can use to protect their family in the event of a home invasion.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:35 pm
I stick with the 870 personally.

I have a Model 870 Express Tactical, the one that comes with Ghost Ring sights and extended magazine.

18.5" barrel.

Can always change the choke tube to a full or Modified and or barrel if a longer one is needed. (I don't need a longer barrel personally)

I use 00 Buckshot and Slugs for defense.
Your setup and the rounds you showed are what we go with as duty shotguns. Most people don't carry them, most of us carry an M4, but man, we're downright negligent with how we treat the 870's. Most of us, if we want, have an assigned M4. The shotguns are pool weapons. That means that people take the same shotguns over and over to qual and train with. They barely get cleaned, they get banged around like no other. During certain training they essentially get thrown around, dropped, etc. Treated like crap. None of us would treat our rifles the same way. The 870s are like the Energizer bunny. We do a lot of rapid shooting with quick combat reloads where people throw rounds into the chamber backwards, etc. The only thing I've seen that stops the shotgun are user induced misfeeds during high stress training where people do something like throw in a shell backwards during reload drills where they're transitioning between the pistol and the shotgun while running around and pulling shells from a pocket or something rather than a saddle.

The low recoil 00 loads are easy to shoot fast, most guys really are effective up to 25 yards. I can routinely get solid hits at up to 100 yards with those low recoil slugs with fast followup shots on multiple target scenarios.

Anyway, good choice. I'm not enough of a guru to say it's the best, but it's a solid choice with a ton of guys across the country needing shotguns that can handle that type of work under adverse conditions, even abusive, proving that it works.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Bodog wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:55 am
Ankerson wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:35 pm
I stick with the 870 personally.

I have a Model 870 Express Tactical, the one that comes with Ghost Ring sights and extended magazine.

18.5" barrel.

Can always change the choke tube to a full or Modified and or barrel if a longer one is needed. (I don't need a longer barrel personally)

I use 00 Buckshot and Slugs for defense.
Your setup and the rounds you showed are what we go with as duty shotguns. Most people don't carry them, most of us carry an M4, but man, we're downright negligent with how we treat the 870's. Most of us, if we want, have an assigned M4. The shotguns are pool weapons. That means that people take the same shotguns over and over to qual and train with. They barely get cleaned, they get banged around like no other. During certain training they essentially get thrown around, dropped, etc. Treated like crap. None of us would treat our rifles the same way. The 870s are like the Energizer bunny. We do a lot of rapid shooting with quick combat reloads where people throw rounds into the chamber backwards, etc. The only thing I've seen that stops the shotgun are user induced misfeeds during high stress training where people do something like throw in a shell backwards during reload drills where they're transitioning between the pistol and the shotgun while running around and pulling shells from a pocket or something rather than a saddle.

The low recoil 00 loads are easy to shoot fast, most guys really are effective up to 25 yards. I can routinely get solid hits at up to 100 yards with those low recoil slugs with fast followup shots on multiple target scenarios.

Anyway, good choice. I'm not enough of a guru to say it's the best, but it's a solid choice with a ton of guys across the country needing shotguns that can handle that type of work under adverse conditions, even abusive, proving that it works.

Thanks,

I am not a guru either, been out of the gun scene for decades personally after I sold off the last of the collection.

But I remembered enough about it to choose what I did. :D

I don't need full power loads that pound the heck out of me like when I shoot, I am not going after bears. LOL

The macho types think everything has to be 3" magnum kill a tank loads or well we just aren't a man. :rolleyes:

All I know is I wouldn't want to be hit with either of the loads I use. :D
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

My personal loadout, right or wrong, is an 1100 semi-auto with the first two rounds being 3" magnum 00 with the rest of the tube being low recoil slugs and then 3" magnum slugs in the saddle. My thinking is if I find myself in a SHTF scenario I'd probably want to engage within 25 yards, if it's not handled with two rounds, then it's a bad situation where they or i are seeking cover ideally outside of the 25 yard range. I want quick shooting to end it. If it can't be handled with 2 00 rounds and 6 low recoil slugs, then they're behind cover that i need to punch through or i was able to retreat far enough to engage more safely. I'm young enough and, i think, well trained enough to handle the differing recoils.

If 8 + 6 + 2 mean dogs isn't enough to handle the situation, hopefully i force them to stay behind cover long enough for my family to run and for me to get a pistol and continue suppressing them so i can beat feet, too. My family and i have plans that if something like that happens and we separate, we have rally points away from our house. My son would be able to follow the plan, my wife would probably do something else. At least i have some experience tracking footprints to hopefully follow them. Maybe my wife would follow our plan. She's done well enough in "adverse natural events" where i can at least hope she'll still operate in high adrenaline self defense moments.

That's my thinking. Maybe it's tactically unsound. At least there's a plan?
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Bodog wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:53 am
My personal loadout, right or wrong, is an 1100 semi-auto with the first two rounds being 3" magnum 00 with the rest of the tube being low recoil slugs and then 3" magnum slugs in the saddle. My thinking is if I find myself in a SHTF scenario I'd probably want to engage within 25 yards, if it's not handled with two rounds, then it's a bad situation where they or i are seeking cover ideally outside of the 25 yard range. I want quick shooting to end it. If it can't be handled with 2 00 rounds and 6 low recoil slugs, then they're behind cover that i need to punch through or i was able to retreat far enough to engage more safely. I'm young enough and, i think, well trained enough to handle the differing recoils.

If 8 + 6 + 2 mean dogs isn't enough to handle the situation, hopefully i force them to stay behind cover long enough for my family to run and for me to get a pistol and continue suppressing them so i can beat feet, too. My family and i have plans that if something like that happens and we separate, we have rally points away from our house. My son would be able to follow the plan, my wife would probably do something else. At least i have some experience tracking footprints to hopefully follow them. Maybe my wife would follow our plan. She's done well enough in "adverse natural events" where i can at least hope she'll still operate in high adrenaline self defense moments.

That's my thinking. Maybe it's tactically unsound. At least there's a plan?

I keep mine loaded with 4x 00 Buck then the last 2x are Slugs.

I have plenty of ammo for reloading etc so I am not all that worried, both 00 Buck and Slugs.

I figure that is enough to either hold them off until the LE arrives or completely suppress the situation until they can get there.

I don't think there is any perfect plan for everything, but it's sound.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The reason I do not prefer the 870 is that if I were to lose the use of one arm, I could not easily manipulate the shotgun for followup shots (or even the first one) since I would have to rack the slide.
Doc Dan is right about this. I "knew" about that problem the whole time in theory but it was a real issue for me when I lost the use on my arm both before and after my first ( of several, I had two on each shoulder) surgery until went through a rehab process first to loosen up then regain strength. I had so much pain in my shoulders that just the thought of shooting my harder hitting guns actually made me feel nauseous. I sold several of my guns including a few shotguns, my magnum rifles etc. Now I'm ok to shoot within reason and sort of wish I had a few back like my Benelli but the idea of spending that much on something I will very rarely use seems like a bad idea. Fortunately I did keep my 870.I got to go through the factory armorers school while a state employee so I know them pretty well inside and out and feel comfortable with them.

Joe