For SEF: Best All Around Shotgun

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ugaarguy

For SEF: Best All Around Shotgun

Post by ugaarguy »

From another current thread:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:25 am
Out of all of them who makes the best home-defense and sporting as in hunting shotgun for the cost, that you all know of, when it comes to safety, quality of components such as barrel and stock, and other mechanisms?
Well, first of all, hunting and home defense are two very different things, and what you're hunting (doves, deer, turkey) will also lead to very different shotgun configurations.

For home defense an 18" barrel (bbl) is as short as you can legally go without getting into NFA paperwork and tax stamps. An 18" bbl with IC or straight cylinder bore and tight patterning buck shot is common. For deer hunting most folks are using fully rifled bbls with rifle sights or scopes and sabot slugs. Most turkey hunters use 24" bbls with tight chokes and rifle sights, low powered scopes, or red dot sights. For shooting birds in flight (dove, quail, geese, ducks, etc) most folks use 26"-30" bbls with full length vent ribs and a bead on the front of the bbl, plus an ammo and choke combination appropriate to the size of the bird and the expected shooting distance. As you can see, very different setups.

The best compromise is to get a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 with two or three bbls for your desired applications. If you just want a single bbl that's a jack of all trades a 24" bbl with a front bead and screw in chokes can serve most purposes, but doesn't do any very well.
sonoma

Re: For SEF: Best All Around Shotgun

Post by sonoma »

Very well put ugaarguy.Owning one shotgun is kind of like owning one spyderco.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:33 pm
The best compromise is to get a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 with two or three bbls for your desired applications. If you just want a single bbl that's a jack of all trades a 24" bbl with a front bead and screw in chokes can serve most purposes, but doesn't do any very well.

Pretty well sums it up. Both are reasonably priced and are excellent guns for the money that will last anyone, except perhaps a competitive shooter, a lifetime if properly cared for.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

One of my all time favorite shotgun makers was "ITHACA". I've never owned one but I have shot them before and they are truly one of my favorites. Another shotgun I liked was the Ruger "over & under" model. It was about as well balanced as any shotgun I ever got the privilege of using.

I have a good friend of mine who just swears by Browning. And they do have some nice looking shotguns in their line up. I always admired their "over & under" shotguns too.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The venerable Remington 870, which saved my recon team’s bacon more than once in Vietnam, can do it all. I’m pleased to have a ‘90s vintage Magnum. Tread carefully when looking at newer models. The Freedom Group has criminally cheapened America’s oldest firearms maker.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I had a Remington 12 Ga. Special Field designed for upland game hunting, but it was short enough for home defence, too. However, the new Remington V3 Tac 13 looks really good to me. https://youtu.be/tF_rB0Errr0
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:35 am
One of my all time favorite shotgun makers was "ITHACA". I've never owned one but I have shot them before and they are truly one of my favorites. Another shotgun I liked was the Ruger "over & under" model. It was about as well balanced as any shotgun I ever got the privilege of using.

I have a good friend of mine who just swears by Browning. And they do have some nice looking shotguns in their line up. I always admired their "over & under" shotguns too.

JD, the Ithaca Model 37 is one of the best, if not the best, pump action shotgun ever made. Problem is, for any given configuration, it costs about twice as much as the Remington and Mossbergs mentioned here.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:56 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:35 am

JD, the Ithaca Model 37 is one of the best, if not the best, pump action shotgun ever made. Problem is, for any given configuration, it costs about twice as much as the Remington and Mossbergs mentioned here.
Yeah I knew they were pricey because it was the dad of a good friend of mine who had I think 6 ITHACA shotguns in his fabulous gun collection. He would let me and my friend hunt with two of them and they were good guns. He even had one of their really rare law enforcement grade ITHACA 10ga automatics and it was called the ITHACA "RoadBlocker" . He never used that one he had it strictly as a collector piece. A few years later I tried to buy that particular gun from him but he wouldn't sell it. He later left it to his oldest son when he died. He had quite a collection. He also had a Colt Drilling Rifle I think they called it>> it was a most unusual over & under type gun. It had a 12 ga over and a 30-06 under. His second oldest son who was my friend at the time told me that he paid over $9000 ( In the late 70s) when he bought that weird Colt over/under. And he always said that no one made a better shotgun than ITHACA. The guy really knew his guns well.

Wasn't the ITHACA factory from up in your neck of the woods? I heard that they were made in New York State from what I was told ( Ithaca, NY)?

Again that Ruger Over/under was truy one of the most well balanced and comfortable shotguns I ever shot for what it's worth.
Crux

Post by Crux »

My favorites are the SM DP-12, SRM 1216, Vepr 12GA, Kel-Tec KSG and the Saiga 12.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Crux wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:40 pm
My favorites are the SM DP-12, SRM 1216, Vepr 12GA, Kel-Tec KSG and the Saiga 12.
Those are all $700 to $1500, and useless for hunting. They're neither all around shotguns, nor cost effective.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

I have to agree with JD, Ithaca makes the best handling shotgun on the market. I own a couple of Remington 870's, an 1100, a Winchester or 3 but if I go grab a shotgun to hunt or defend the homestead with it's one of the Ithaca 37 Deerslayer Police Specials that gets the job. Lightweight, 8-shot (15 shot if you use the Aguila minishells), superb rifle sights, smooth action, etc... And they are the most accurate slug guns around even being smooth bored.

The only modification I made was to install Remington screw-in chokes on them all for versatility. And I use the modified choke and #4 buckshot for a defensive load, way better than 00 buck IMO.

ETA - On the used market Ithaca 37's sell about the same as used 870's.... Around $200-$250 for a clean used one.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I stick with the 870 personally.

I have a Model 870 Express Tactical, the one that comes with Ghost Ring sights and extended magazine.

18.5" barrel.

Can always change the choke tube to a full or Modified and or barrel if a longer one is needed. (I don't need a longer barrel personally)

I use 00 Buckshot and Slugs for defense.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I'm partial to the Browning's. Have a older light 12 in excellent condition, this would be my favorite. Great all purpose shotgun. Wasn't sure what SEF meant, Edit now that I understand SEF :o My Browning has served me well through the years. Great gun
Last edited by Tdog on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I've got an old Mossberg 590 mariner.

Works fine, but I do like the Rem 870 Express Tactical model they have now with the rail and ghost ring sights.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Well, I also have a FN Tactical 12GA which is a little like the Ithaca. Ithaca went out of business before I could get one. A Maverick 12GA over and under, a couple of Saiga 410s and I think one more but I can't remember. I do consider the Taurus Judges as great shotguns. I recommend the 2 1/2", 3" and the .454 Casull if you are in bear country. :)
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Of the ones readily available and still being built I think the 870 is a good bet. They are so easy to pick and choose factory or aftermarket parts to make it right for pretty much any job I'd see myself realistically doing with it. I wouldn't go smaller than 0, or 00 buck if I expected using it over 7 yards and have seem failures with #4 and #1 buck on humans. Under 3 yards it probably doesn't matter much what one uses.

The inexpensive box store 870's should be upgraded to the better ( longer) magazine spring like the ones shipped with the police/marine/upgraded versions. I use non rifled barrels as I don't hunt deer with a shotgun and don't require the longer range. The lower speed reduced buckshot/slug loads are fine for defense and are preferred in some cases like me now with my two shoulder rebuilds. I bought some aguilla mini shells but they tend to open up and leak shot . I don't trust them in a self defense situation.

Joe
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:29 am
Of the ones readily available and still being built I think the 870 is a good bet. They are so easy to pick and choose factory or aftermarket parts to make it right for pretty much any job I'd see myself realistically doing with it. I wouldn't go smaller than 0, or 00 buck if I expected using it over 7 yards and have seem failures with #4 and #1 buck on humans. Under 3 yards it probably doesn't matter much what one uses.

The inexpensive box store 870's should be upgraded to the better ( longer) magazine spring like the ones shipped with the police/marine/upgraded versions. I use non rifled barrels as I don't hunt deer with a shotgun and don't require the longer range. The lower speed reduced buckshot/slug loads are fine for defense and are preferred in some cases like me now with my two shoulder rebuilds. I bought some aguilla mini shells but they tend to open up and leak shot . I don't trust them in a self defense situation.

Joe

Yeah, really don't need full power hunting loads (00 Buck and Slugs) for home defense. Some of those loads can be very brutal recoil wise, same or more than a .300 Winchester Magnum. I am not interested in taking that much recoil these days as I am getting older.

We lose nothing by using reduced recoil Law Enforcement loads (00 Buck and Slugs) for defense ranges.

We gain faster follow up shots, not that many would still be standing after taking a load of 00 Buckshot from a 12 Gauge, but it's nice to have.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

These are what I use and I believe it's enough.

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Remington 870 for the win!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Love my 870 express magnum. Never a problem with it. Hundred of rounds run through it, never a failure of any kind. Swapped out the original wood hardware and 28 inch barrel for an 18.5 inch barrel and the archangel multi position stock and railed forend. Stock has basically no recoil absorbtion, but it have it almost strictly for home defense so having the ability to make it very short, easy to handle indoors and have the increased dexterity with the pistol grip is great. Plus, I'm young so even target shooting for an hour or two doesn't bother me too much. I may however switch the forend out for the Magpul as I've heard it's the most comfortable and best for traction. We'll see.