What does the term "Custom" mean to you?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
awa54

What does the term "Custom" mean to you?

Post by awa54 »

It used to be that a "Custom" item was made to order, quite possibly one of a kind. Then the term started to include items assembled with input from the buyer, and/or modified from a stock form by a skilled craft-person, but not necessarily one of a kind. Now it gets used for almost anything mass produced that isn't "regular stock", and even in some cases for things that *are* regular stock but aren't made by the OEM, in other words "Custom" has becom a default replacement for the term "accessory" or "special edition". It also shows up in the form of many regular run items made by companies that either do or used to make actual custom items at some point in their history.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
MichaelScott

Re: What does the term "Custom" mean to you?

Post by MichaelScott »

Custom means, to me, something that is unique whether made by human hand or CNC robotics.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
awa54

Post by awa54 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:48 am
Custom means, to me, something that is unique whether made by human hand or CNC robotics.

Unique as in "I own the single example of this item extant on the earth", rather than unique as in, "this custom titanium pocket clip, stamped out by the hundreds or thousands, was made specifically to fit my (insert brand name here) knife"?
Last edited by awa54 on Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

MichaelScott wrote:
I would agree with this definition. When it comes to a custom knife in particular, I tend to think of a design that the customer has requested, or, selected from a pool of designs the maker has already come up with. This is opposed to hand made, which would not necessarilly be a designer the customer thought of, but, what was made using hand operations such as hand forging and hand grinding, that kind of thing.

As an example: Would you all call Randall made knives custom or hand made? I say hand made, even though you can pick certain features such as guards, handle materials, and other things, within limits set by Randall Knives. But they will not, as far as I know, accept a specific new design of a knife from a customer and make it to order.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

MichaelScott wrote: Custom means, to me, something that is unique whether made by human hand or CNC robotics.
I do not think custom means unique per se. Custom means made to my specifications, i.e. it was customized for me. I think it would extend this to mean that the particular build would not exist except for my order, which necessitates a minimum number of possibilities. That is, just because I specify the exterior and interior colors of my car, I would not say that's custom because that build would exist anyway, since there are relatively few possibilities. I would say that a Chipotle burrito has a sufficient number of options to consider the burrito I get to be "custom built" for me.

I have a pair of custom-built boots. They are made to my specifications but there is nothing stopping someone else from building the same exact pair. Now, mine are also custom-lasted for my feet, but it's possible still that there is another person out there with feet similar enough to end up with the same boots. I still consider them custom.

Of course, everyone is free to have their own definition, I just quoted yours because our definition is subtly different.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

To me, it means made to order, a one off, done by hand, or as much as possibly by hand.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

awa54 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:16 am
MichaelScott wrote:

Unique as in "I own the single example on this item extant on the earth", rather than unique as in, "this custom titanium pocket clip, stamped out by the hundreds or thousands, was made specifically to fit my (insert brand name here) knife"?
Exactly. As in, like no other.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation