Wicked edge broke.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
tps3443

Wicked edge broke.

Post by tps3443 »

sesher kabita

I dunno how this happen. But the jaws for my wicked edge broke. Now I cannot use it at all. Hopefully they fix this. My blades just were not getting tight in the jaws. And a piece of the metal broke off the jaws that keeps the tension screw held in place. Unbelievable..

The funny thing is, the system is so good. I’ve just gotta get this fixed ASAP! I sharpen my knives every other day as they are in constant use at work. My S110V PM2 was fading a bit. And my darn wicked edge broke
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
Evil D

Re: Wicked edge broke.

Post by Evil D »

Now you see why I stick with the Edge Pro. When this happened not once not twice but three times with my Lansky, it was less of a big deal since the whole thing was cheap to replace (local knife shop had the clamp for like $15) but after the last time I swore I'd never use a clamp based sharpener again, and this is only one issue I had with the clamp.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Freehand nation
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

I like factory looking edges, that are sharp too lol. If I freehand they come out duller and uglier the more I practice!
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Since this isn't a Spyderco product, let's move this to the proper area of the forum (Off-Topic).

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:40 pm
Now you see why I stick with the Edge Pro. When this happened not once not twice but three times with my Lansky, it was less of a big deal since the whole thing was cheap to replace (local knife shop had the clamp for like $15) but after the last time I swore I'd never use a clamp based sharpener again, and this is only one issue I had with the clamp.

How do you Lee your stones flat? I find mine are very inconsistent which leads to crappy finishes. I have the bag of silicon or whatever it is to try and flatten them out but it doesn’t seem to work very well for me.

Oh and do they still make stones for the edge pro?

This is a bummer to see because I was/still am considering jumping to the wicked edge.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:03 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:40 pm

How do you Lee your stones flat? I find mine are very inconsistent which leads to crappy finishes. I have the bag of silicon or whatever it is to try and flatten them out but it doesn’t seem to work very well for me.

Oh and do they still make stones for the edge pro?

This is a bummer to see because I was/still am considering jumping to the wicked edge.

I use this to lap my stones https://www.chefknivestogo.com/140grdistflp.html

The Atoma version is better but also 3x as much but it is perfectly flat. I haven't had any issues with using the cheaper one but here's the Atoma if you're interested https://www.chefknivestogo.com/at14dipl.html

I also use the adjustable stop collar to account for stone thickness differences (this whole kit is great if you don't have this stuff) https://www.chefknivestogo.com/edproesacpa.html

And yeah there are lots of stones out there for the EP, it's all a matter of what you want to spend. The Shaptons are fantastic but they are pretty expensive. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/shglstforedp.html

For the money you really can't beat the Congress Moldmasters. You can get the whole set for $50 and then you only need to glue them to some aluminum blanks (I just used the ones I got with my EP and threw away the old wore out stones). The only down side to the Moldmasters is they only go up to 600 grit but that's about all I go up to anymore unless I'm polishing a bevel to look cool on the internet. They also cut very aggressively and make short work of the higher wear resistant steels like Maxamet. https://www.congresstools.com/catalog/c ... ory/?id=27

As far as stones go you can use literally anything you can glue to a blank that will fit length wise. Those Moldmasters can be bought all the way down to 1/4 inch wide, meaning you can cut down some blanks to that width and make special stones for sharpening recurves or odd shaped blades. One of these days I'm going to find some triangular stones and see how they do on serrations.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
SiC loose grit on a sheet of glass with water.

I lay a couple of sheets of newsprint on a flat surface and sit a sheet of glass on that. I use a plastic spoon to sprinkle the grit and an old syringe to add water. Then crosshatch the face of the stone with a pencil, wet the stone and rub that face to the glass in figure eight’s with light pressure, adding water or grit as you go till the pencil marks are gone ... basically that’s it.

Wash the stone thoroughly with water. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:44 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
SiC loose grit on a sheet of glass with water.

I lay a couple of sheets of newsprint on a flat surface and sit a sheet of glass on that. I use a plastic spoon to sprinkle the grit and an old syringe to add water. Then crosshatch the face of the stone with a pencil, wet the stone and rub that face to the glass in figure eight’s with light pressure, adding water or grit as you go till the pencil marks are gone ... basically that’s it.

Wash the stone thoroughly with water. :)

I'll add that Gritomatic has various grits of loose SiC... this is important when flattening fine grit stones that don't wear quickly, as using a coarse grit of SiC to flatten them will change their finishing characteristics quite a bit! They also supply *many* different stones already lapped and glued to Edge Pro bases, for those of us who aren't as ambitious as D. I have tried a whole load of different SiC and aluminum oxide/corundum stones, but I keep finding that they wear quickly enough and create enough slurry that they're more work than the cost savings is worth when compared to diamond abrasives.

My currently used lineup on the Edge Pro clone is: EZE-LAP coarse 1x6" (for drastic reshaping), Venev bonded diamond in 150, 240, 400, 800, 1200 & 2000 grit (FEPA, so 2k=1µ), natural, much like a hard Arkansas, fine slate natural, Idahone fine ceramic.
Last edited by awa54 on Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

awa54 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:28 pm
I'll add
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:09 pm
awa54 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:28 pm
I'll add

Dang Alex, what do you do with 80 grit?? That ought to chew the surface off of any hone in no time!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

David, thank you so much for the great info and links. Now I know how to breathe new life into my edge pro. I’m in the middle of selling my townhouse and then hopefully buying an actual house (our first) so I have to be careful with the funds. Once things level out I can order some of the stuff you linked to. Thanks again.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'll be curious to hear if WE replaces the clamp free of charge.