BackWoodsMan Magazine

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

BackWoodsMan Magazine

Post by JD Spydo »

With all of this recent hype about being a survivalist, prepper or just someone attempting to live off the land there is a magazine that has been around since the 80s. The earliest issue I have was dated in 1986. The title of the magazine is "The "BackWoodsMan". I'm sure that some of you guys and gals here have probably read an issue of it at some point in time. In the past 8 years it's been showing up a lot more on most newsstands in book stores and grocery stores. But back in the 90s and early 2000s it was really hard to find a copy.

The BackWoodsMan was into survivalism and living off of Mother Nature way before those concepts ever became popular. Almost every issue has articles on knives or how to maintain them. Our good Brother "Doc Dan" shared an article with us out of an Appalachian magazine that I was unaware of and I thank him for doing so. I have an ultimate goal of moving to the Mark Twain National Forest area here in the Southeast Missouri Ozarks at some point and I'm trying to learn all I can about back woods living and this magazine has truly taught me a lot. I also urge the rest of you all to check out the BackWoodsman too and I believe that most of you will like it.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: BackWoodsMan Magazine

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks, I will look into it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

You will like the "BackWoodsMan" magazine Doc Dan I can assure you. Because it explores so many facets of back woods living, survivalism and many other facets of primitive living. And almost every issue has articles on all different types of knives and their uses.

I'm not sure if this is true or not because I've never tried it. But a good friend of mine recently told me that you can contact the BackWoodsMan on their website and they will send you out a free copy of one of their past issues by request. It's worth a try anyway. I have contacted them in the past about one of their articles and they are very nice people who work there.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

That looks to be a rather interesting Mag. Thanks for the Info.
As it is available Digitally, I'll probably put in a Subscription.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kiwisailor wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:22 am
That looks to be a rather interesting Mag. Thanks for the Info.
As it is available Digitally, I'll probably put in a Subscription.
I didn't know it was available on digital format. But yes I'm totally confident that you will like it.

Also a lot of you who have first found out about the BackWoodsMan magazine will be glad to know that they have a lot of back issues still available for a modest fee.

Like I said earlier they usually have something about knives in almost every issue. Everything from Civil War Era blades to the ones we have now. They also have a lot of articles on how to make knives from all kinds of different materials which are some most interesting articles.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Been reading it for years. I was going to write an article for them, but life happened for both parties. Lots of good articles, but if you read it for any length of time some subjects get repeated over an over.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I used to read this magazine and JD is right, it was very good. They had a wide range of assorted survival and outdoors home topics with alot of do it yourself and great recipes, as well as classified and advertisements for for knives, tools, outing goods, and other things. The format was easy to read and it was a quality magazine.

Here is their official website:

https://www.backwoodsmanmag.com/

JD: Is this the same magazine you are mentioning?

They have people who have articles all about firemaking, procuring food, shelter, water, and other things, as well as eye-opening personal accounts of survival.

Here is an interesting link to a muzzle loading and black powder website related to them:

http://www.logcabinshop.com/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I just got the most recent issue of the Backwoodsman. In this issue ( Nov-Dec 2018) it has nice articles on ice fishing, refurbishing old knives and how to start a "survival garden". Every issue of this magazine always has at least 3 great articles in it. Obviously some issues are better than others but in all the years I've subscribed to the Backwoodsman I've never been disappointed.

The magazine is also full of information on where to obtain survival type goods and services. And like I said previously almost every issue has something very interesting about the subject of knives. Which I find important because I'm finding that most of the articles in the popular knife magazines are basic info-mercials in the past 2 to 3 years especially. It is just a great common sense type magazine that has true life articles and important information.