Water-Maker Machines: Your thoughts? Also called "Water Water Everywhere but is this too crazy to think?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Water-Maker Machines: Your thoughts? Also called "Water Water Everywhere but is this too crazy to think?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

We have discussed water filter systems on the forum before but what are your thought on these condensation and other technology based water makers?

Over the years I have watched the progress of these things. I have spoken with friends and others who have different versions and some claim they are very useful and others think its more economical to just use conventional water systems such as filters for the tap and for filter pitcher systems.

Here are some websites about this:

https://islandsky.com/

https://islandsky.com/products/

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/ ... Watermaker

The above article includes information on pump based desalinators.

Then there is a whole other area: These water machines that ALLEGEDLY use ionization and swirling and other processes to (according to the proponents of it) to take ordinary tap and filtered water, and somehow make it into a "special water" by altering the molecules (their claims again) and one of the big claims made is that this "converted water" is able to do almost miraculous things such as soak into the body cells better, heal diseases, and other things.

I tend to be skeptical of these claims. One man tried to sell me on one years ago, and he told me "this water machine will turn tap water into a super cleansing water that will clean dirt and grime off dishes with ease and will energize your body cells and when you are thirsty will satisfy your thirst much better than regular water." I was not convinced.

Here is some info on these claims:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexagonal_water

http://www.chem1.com/CQ/

Then there is the claim put forth by a Japanese mystic and others who have a whole field they call "Emotional water" which they claim the human mind can somehow impress images on water. Most scientists consider this nonsense:

Here is info on him:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masaru_Emoto

http://www.masaru-emoto.net/english/water-crystal.html

I would welcome all of your input on this, Doc, tv, JD, Michael, and anyone else. One problem is that alot of these claims do not use repeated control experiments, and some of their defenders have excuses as to why they don't use those.

Homoeopathy is another area that is related. I have spoken with both supporters and skeptics on that. I have heard horror stories of people who fell for homeopath claims and took their alleged medicines instead of chemo therapy and they died from cancers. The homeopath proponents claim that chemotherapy only cures a tiny fraction of cancers. But I know people who's lives have been saved by chemotherapy and I do not know of anyone who has had serious cancer and has taken homeopathy and lived.

I am also extremely skeptical of alot of the energy medicine claims. There are different websites claiming that they offer "purple plates" and other such things that are "energized matter" and can cure diseases and do all sorts of things.

Is this simply modern "techno witchcraft" or what?

What is also bad is some are twisting the name of Nikola Tesla to add it to their fake claims:

Tesla WAS right about Energy, frequency, and vibration. But these people twist his claims.

https://www.teslapurpleplate.com/about- ... ple-plate/

https://www.alkalinewaterplus.com/blog/ ... -machines/

https://www.amazon.com/EIP-Original-Nik ... B0015HBKJ2

Let me say this: I WISH there WAS some form of super duper energy that we could make simple metal or other material plates, or mechanisms, and tap into it, to cure diseases, reverse aging, strengthen materials, and all sorts of things. I have read so many claims over the years and I have read counter claims of skeptics and others. It can become weary to oneself.
awa54

Re: Water-Maker Machines: Your thoughts? Also called "Water Water Everywhere but is this too crazy to think?

Post by awa54 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:33 pm
Let me say this: I WISH there WAS some form of super duper energy that we could make simple metal or other material plates, or mechanisms, and tap into it, to cure diseases, reverse aging, strengthen materials, and all sorts of things. I have read so many claims over the years and I have read counter claims of skeptics and others. It can become weary to oneself.

This is why I leave such things to *actual* experts...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Bloke

Re: Water-Maker Machines: Your thoughts? Also called "Water Water Everywhere but is this too crazy to think?

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
...can cure diseases and do all sorts of things.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:43 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
...can cure diseases and do all sorts of things.

have you been playing Fallout Bloke?
Attachments
toilet rads.jpg
-David

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

awa54 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:52 pm
have you been playing Fallout Bloke?
Ah, hahaha! Not familiar with it David, but it sounds great. :) :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
awa54

Post by awa54 »

You should look it up Alex, the series is pretty grim, but strangely entertaining, in a sociopathic, post apocalyptic way...

Fallout New Vegas is the best IMO.
-David

kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

I've had a On board (Yacht) Water Maker for approx. 12 years now. Basically a Reverse Osmosis machine which pumps Salt water through a Teflon membrane at VERY high pressure.
Expensive to buy and they do require constant maintenance with Pre-filters to buy and Pump re-builds about every 2nd or 3rd year.

Plus, if not used for 5-7 days, they have to be treated with a Bio-cide or at least non- chlorinated water. (chlorine will attack Membrane)
Very handy when up in Pacific Islands as water is either not available (contrary to popular belief)
or contaminated with water borne diseases. Ground water is often brackish due to low lying Atolls or Islands.

BUT, a real asset as they can extend cruising time and travel to isolated areas.
The locals always appreciate any water given to them when anchored in the local villages.

When listening to or running the local Cruisers net (radio) commonly known as “the Coconet” ,
two things are always asked about, “is there anyone who can help fix our Water Maker or our Fridge?”
Both high maintenance units which People, once they have them, cannot seem to do without.

I lived for years aboard with a simple cool bag of Sealine #15 Kodiac Sack dry bag, inside a Hessian sack, which was kept wet with salt water in shade on deck. Cold butter and cheese etc, no problem... low tech, great result.

I have a 50mm high rim around my Solar Panel which catches and funnels enough rain water to keep the boat supplied with drinking or washing water 80% of time.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Kiwi, this is amazing and appreciated insights into that life. Thank you!

Regarding the situation of drinking water on those islands, you're right: It seems that due to a regular supply of Hollywood movies that show idealistic "castaway situations" they seem to make it seem as if every South Pacific and Polynesian island has its own perpetual supply of fresh water either in the form of natural springs and/or beautful picture-perfect waterfalls. Are you saying that the reality is that most of the water is either brackish full of salt, or, polluted by wastes and dangerous bacteria?

The Hessian Sack idea is very useful to know. Could that also be used to keep fresh caught fish and other meat safe to eat?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

One of the biggest issues with infrastructure level desalination (on top of energy and materials cost, which are already big issues) is what to do with the ultra-saline water that's left after desalination... many existing plants pipe the concentrate back out to sea, where it causes local issues from the excessive salt levels around the outlet, before it goes back into a safe dilution level. None that I have heard of do the obvious, which would to be putting it out in pans to fully dehydrate, then collecting the left over sea salt for commercial or culinary use.
-David

kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

AWA, interesting comment about the High Density Water being pumped out and causing issues.
Certainly makes sense to use this Water to reclaim the Salt if practical to dry it in Ponds etc.

I have tasted the discharge water from my Out Flow and it actually doesn't taste much stronger than normal Sea Water.
The De- Sal seems to only extract about 10 % fresh water from Salt and the rest is used to flush through membrane as it pumps.

Inefficient you might say, perhaps when using a small hand pump Survival Unit which do about 2 liters per hour, definitely as this is a LOT of energy expended if in a Life Raft or Dinghy.

Bare in mind, that I DO drink salt water when I paddle long distances, as it replaces the electrolytes.
This is SUPPLEMENTED with fresh water as well.
I am NOT going to get into any discussion on the pros/cons of this method.

I've done it for years and there is nothing wrong with me matey.. buuurp :p

SEF, water is what it is when you find it (if you can) on Atolls etc. The bigger Islands, due to their Land Mass, have a tendency to attract water from rain clouds (only on windward side) but the Leeward sides go dry. Atolls just don't benefit from this effect, and any fresh water creates a meniscus which sits on top of the Sea Water therefore will be brackish.

Regarding the Evaporation cooling method for Fish and Meat, yes it will keep it cool, BUT, it will be under the same rules that apply to ALL meat/fish when eaten. Even tinned Protein can kill if contaminated....
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Further to my comments about Meat/Fish preservation and preparation.
Years back when we were staying on a very isolated Island in Tonga, we hung out with the Son of the Tribal Owner.
His Offshore (distant Island) Uncles were over collecting Octopus.
We had seen them fishing strangely in Outrigger when we arrived.
I went out with them in the Papoa (small outrigger Canoe 2x person)

The Myth is that the Mouse asked the octi to give Him a ride across the Lagoon.
When they reached other side, the cheeky mouse bit Him between eyes and jumped off.
(this is how Islanders kill Octi and Fish)

Ok, the Octi. Lure is made from a Stalactite (rare) or a piece a Cone shaped coral approx. 2 inch dia.
X 3 inch long. A piece of Tiger Cowrie shell (half) is tied to top of this so that it can Flap when jiggled.
Then Coconut frond (approx. 10 inches)is tied across front underneath and another in Vee shape is tied at rear.

The Guys then paddled slowly across reef (with me following in Kayak) and looked down for shells outside a hole under overhanging coral. Octi. eat Molluscs and Lobsters. Very obvious when seen.
Then they lower lure to hole and jig it up/down to make clapping noise.
The Octi. Go nuts and chase it up to Canoe.
It is then grabbed and bitten between eyes to kill it. This is the easy part.
Octi. Is then turned inside out to gut it.

Then on Atoll, small sticks approx. 24 inches long are sharpened at both ends.
Octi is then spread out like star fish and smoked for 1x day, (to stop flies and bugs, then dried 1x day.
This is repeated 3x.
Octi. Is then sold to the Chinese Factory Sahips which are lurking in area.
This is one one the few CASH crops available to the Islanders. Sea Slugs (bech' der Mere) is another.
I asked them approx. how long this would preserve the flesh
They replied "at least 6 months"

I have eaten Fish that was caught in the Amazon, air dried in Rigging, and we ate it 3x years later, with no apparent I'll effects... :eek:
Hope this is clearish..