Bearded Axes? Broad Axes?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Bearded Axes? Broad Axes?

Post by JD Spydo »

While I was waiting for a Doctor's appointment this morning I took my latest issue of BLADE magazine with me and read a lot of it. I read a most interesting article about "Bearded Axes" and it was also a review of 3 recently made models of Bearded Axes. I've seen them over the years in various shows and other places but I've never really understood any advantage they might have or what their primary purpose is. The Bearded Axes kind of remind me of Broad Axes which are used in cabin construction as well as making beams for all kinds of projects.

A guy named Bernie Weisgerber did a video some time back on Broad Axes and I found it most interesting. So what's up with the Bearded Axes? What if any advantages do they have? What company or custom knife guy makes a really good one? They do seem like they would have tactical, self defense potential but again I know little about them. And I'm hoping that some of you can shed some light on these most interesting tools.
SpyderScout

Re: Bearded Axes? Broad Axes?

Post by SpyderScout »

I have had a couple of smaller bearded axes or hatchets made. They work well.
Grab the haft just below/behind the head and you are set for fine work, shaving or planing wood for example due to the broad edge.
Beard can be used to control which ever branch or wood, you are chopping. Use the beard to grab what ever branch or what ever you want to chop and pull it towards you/within reach.
I also use the beard to hook the occasional piece pf errant firewood in or out of the fire. Again, great for control.
I have both choppers, axes and hawks but prefer to pack a bearded hatchet when underway. Im a believer in bearded axes :-)
Just a personal choice because it suits my outdoor needs. Others may or may not have other requirements. YMMWV.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderScout wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:11 am
I have had a couple of smaller bearded axes or hatchets made. They work well.
Grab the haft just below/behind the head and you are set for fine work, shaving or planing wood for example due to the broad edge.
Beard can be used to control which ever branch or wood, you are chopping. Use the beard to grab what ever branch or what ever you want to chop and pull it towards you/within reach.
I also use the beard to hook the occasional piece pf errant firewood in or out of the fire. Again, great for control.
I have both choppers, axes and hawks but prefer to pack a bearded hatchet when underway. Im a believer in bearded axes :-)
Just a personal choice because it suits my outdoor needs. Others may or may not have other requirements. YMMWV.
That's an interesting rundown of what bearded axes are about. I didn't know that they were used as a woodworking tool. That surprises me because I have a couple of friends who are avid woodworkers and I'm sure going to chat with them about it. I think I did see a bearded hatchet on one guys wall in his shop. There was one in the BLADE magazine article that looked like it would be a great came and Self Defense tool.

I would like to know more about their history. They look as if they were a European tool at some point?
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

The beard was also used to hook the shield of an enemy.
I personally havent used it for that purpose but no doubt effective in that respect.
Yes, very much European. Widely used by the Vikings and in extension the Saxons for example.
At some point a long hafted slim dedicated battleaxe evolved with a lighter weight head.
It was used at the battle of Hastings for example.
You will see the long slim battleaxe in the Bayeux tapestry.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderScout wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:07 am
The beard was also used to hook the shield of an enemy.
I personally havent used it for that purpose but no doubt effective in that respect.
Yes, very much European. Widely used by the Vikings and in extension the Saxons.
At some point a long hafted slim dedicated battleaxe evolved with a lighter weight bearded head.
It was used at the battle of Hastings for example.
You will see the long slim battleaxe in the Bayeux tapestry.
Another interesting item of discussion SPyderScout :) Because I do now realize that this concept of the "bearded ax" goes way back to "Medieval" times. And probably even before that era. If you remember the old "Executioner's Axes" that they had during those early times in Europe and to some extent in old Russia>> those type of axes probably fell under the definition of a "bearded ax".

Getting back to the other style I've mentioned which is the "broad ax". I do believe that they got the concept of the "broad ax" originally from the older bearded axes. But it is amazing to watch someone work with a broad ax and it's mind blowing to know how many buildings and homes were made with that type of ax during our infancy as a nation. As I mentioned the guy named Bernie Weisgerber who at one time joined this forum about 6 or 7 years ago and posted a few times but left quickly>> well he is probably the most well know authoritative source on the many uses of a wide range of different types of axes. His remarkable video "An Ax To Grind" I believe is still available through the US Forest Service from the US Government.

I can now clearly see why these bearded axes would have good woodworking capabilities.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'm imagining hewing enough timber to build a home with a broad axe and feeling exhausted at the thought
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hey JD,

I nearly bought a Roselli a while back but the unconventional handle and not being able to handle it stopped me. :rolleyes:

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

I do not have a properly bearded ax.
I do have a bushman axe which is kind of bearded and to a lesser extent my ct pack axe. Both good for choking up.
But as stated above, vikings utilised them to hook shields,also lightens the head in relation to cutting edge and saves steel during forging
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:11 pm
Hey JD,

I nearly bought a Roselli a while back but the unconventional handle and not being able to handle it stopped me. :rolleyes:

Oh, man. I might have to get one of those.

I really enjoy my Roselli fixed blade.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:29 am
Bloke wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:11 pm
Hey JD,

Oh, man. I might have to get one of those.

I really enjoy my Roselli fixed blade.
I've heard of those Roselli axes but that one is really cool looking and also looks like a great quality tool. The more I look at these "bearded axes" the more I like them. And to have one in the size of a hatchet really appeals to me. I even like the looks of that one even better than the looks of the Granfors Bruks axes.

The one bearded ax in the BLADE magazine article that really appealed to me was made by "TOPS Knives" and it is the model "VI". It was head & shoulders above the other two they had in that article>> however it has a nifty $229 price tag. The market for these bearded axes is a relatively small one from what I can determine so far.

It appears to me that these "bearded axes" might be more controllable in certain jobs. There must be a reason for that design. But it hasn't been until this latest ax and hatchet craze that has been here for the past 5 years or so that they got any attention to speak of at all.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Bloke, why wouldn't you be able to re-handle it? They sell just the head, so I assume it's a standard configuration? Or am I wrong about that?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think that bearded axes were originally made as woodwork tools, for hewing timbers. The beard gives you a great place to choke up on the handle to do more precise work, making it a multipurpose woods tool, especially suited for tasks involved with house building.

It's weird to me that so many people view the beard as a "tacticool" accessory, when it's purpose is historically so mundane.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:09 am
The market for these bearded axes is a relatively small one from what I can determine so far.
Well, compared to the multitude of regular style axes sold, yes.
But the following, that buys beard axes and hawks is not to be sneezed at - sales wise.
RMJ Tactical hawks (of which several have some sort of beard or are outright 'viking-inspired' like the Beserker) sell like hotcakes.
Further more RMJ and several others of their ilk have spawned a slew of similar axes and hawks. Quite a few companies have jumped on the bearded bandwagon.
It my impression many of the beard axes/hawks sell well.
As you mention, this trend is fairly recent - at least in regards to being more widespread.

JD Spydo wrote:
The one bearded ax in the BLADE magazine article that really appealed to me was made by "TOPS Knives" and it is the model "VI". It was head & shoulders above the other two they had in that article>> however it has a nifty $229 price tag.
Understandably many balk at the prices for some of these bearded axes/hawks - especially when comparing to how cheaply one can buy a quality regular axe or hatchet.

Check out the bearded CRKT RUNE. Its a good looking clean little tool. Designed by RMJ Tactical as well and affordable. $90 or so.
I have not handled it though so cant vouch for it. Looks nifty and handy though.

JD Spydo wrote:
The more I look at these "bearded axes" the more I like them. And to have one in the size of a hatchet really appeals to me.
Ditto.
I have had a few made.
This is the most recent one
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

They used to use such axes not only for woodworking, and combat in the usual sense, but they also had types that they would throw in a volley. They were devastating, breaking shields, legs, and killing.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:36 am
They used to use such axes not only for woodworking, and combat in the usual sense, but they also had types that they would throw in a volley. They were devastating, breaking shields, legs, and killing.
If you refer to the vikings, it is highly unlikely, that they threw their axes on a regular organized basis as part of a battle stratagem.
The occasional throwing of an axe is mentioned on the odd saga but Ive read no indication, that volley-throwing of axes were part of viking battle lore.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:43 am
Bloke, why wouldn't you be able to re-handle it? They sell just the head, so I assume it's a standard configuration? Or am I wrong about that?
Hi Tom, I just read my post. Ah, hahaha! :o

The axe can certainly be re handled and what I meant to say was not being able to handle it as in picking one up physically.

I’ve been a fan of Roselli’s for many years now. I have five of his knives (I think) and if push came to shove and I could only have one knife in this life it would likely be the Hunter. I can’t find any info on the Krupp W75 steel he uses but it’s near indistinguishable, take a razor edge easily and holds it well. It eats our hardwood here with nary a chip at a true zero grind.

I’m sure the little axe would be the same but I have a GB and an Estwing. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderScout wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:10 am
JD Spydo wrote:
The market for these bearded axes is a relatively small one from what I can determine so far.
Well, compared to the multitude of regular style axes sold, yes.
But the following, that buys beard axes and hawks is not to be sneezed at - sales wise.
RMJ Tactical hawks (of which several have some sort of beard or are outright 'viking-inspired' like the Beserker) sell like hotcakes.
Further more RMJ and several others of their ilk have spawned a slew of similar axes and hawks. Quite a few companies have jumped on the bearded bandwagon.
It my impression many of the beard axes/hawks sell well.
As you mention, this trend is fairly recent - at least in regards to being more widespread.

JD Spydo wrote:
The one bearded ax in the BLADE magazine article that really appealed to me was made by "TOPS Knives" and it is the model "VI". It was head & shoulders above the other two they had in that article>> however it has a nifty $229 price tag.
Understandably many balk at the prices for some of these bearded axes/hawks - especially when comparing to how cheaply one can buy a quality regular axe or hatchet.

Check out the bearded CRKT RUNE. Its a good looking clean little tool. Designed by RMJ Tactical as well and affordable. $90 or so.
I have not handled it though so cant vouch for it. Looks nifty and handy though.

JD Spydo wrote:
The more I look at these "bearded axes" the more I like them. And to have one in the size of a hatchet really appeals to me.
Ditto.
I have had a few made.
This is the most recent one
Hey that's a great looking ax you have there SpyderScout :) I'm curious as to which steel that one is made of ? I've been told by a couple of hard core ax guys over at Bladeforums that S-7 is a great steel for axes and hatchets and hawks. But I'm sure that isn't the only tool steel they would be good with. The old Tactical Knives magazine used to advertise for a guy who also made those and I remember he used S-7 in his.

But again that's a really nice looking unit and it also looks like it's well balanced just to look at it. I really like stuff with a full tang>> and that one in the BLADE article made by TOPS also has a full tang. Great input so far guys :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:41 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:43 am
Hi Tom, I just read my post. Ah, hahaha! :o

The axe can certainly be re handled and what I meant to say was not being able to handle it as in picking one up physically.

I’ve been a fan of Roselli’s for many years now. I have five of his knives (I think) and if push came to shove and I could only have one knife in this life it would likely be the Hunter. I can’t find any info on the Krupp W75 steel he uses but it’s near indistinguishable, take a razor edge easily and holds it well. It eats our hardwood here with nary a chip at a true zero grind.

I’m sure the little axe would be the same but I have a GB and an Estwing. :)
Interesting you would mention Estwing Brother BLOKE :cool: I also have a couple of hatchets made by them as well as a Geologist hammer along with 3 other specialty tools they made. And all of the EsTWING stuff I have is all USA made. I've used an ESTWING hammer for most of the carpentry work I've done over the years and I find that ESTWING and VAUGHN both are extremely well balanced.

Actually I tend to believe that the Sears Craftsman solid, stainless hatchet I got a few years back for deer hunting must be made by ESTWING because there are a lot of similarities between the two. Whatever steel they used in that Sears Craftsman hatchet is great and I don't have to sharpen it very often at all. I sure wish that ESTWING made a bearded ax or bearded hatchet>> I'm going to check their website to see if they possibly do. I'm also going to check the Council Tool website because they are made here in the USA too.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:28 pm
[

Interesting you would mention Estwing Brother BLOKE :cool: I also have a couple of hatchets made by them as well as a Geologist hammer along with 3 other specialty tools they made. And all of the EsTWING stuff I have is all USA made. I've used an ESTWING hammer for most of the carpentry work I've done over the years and I find that ESTWING and VAUGHN both are extremely well balanced.

Actually I tend to believe that the Sears Craftsman solid, stainless hatchet I got a few years back for deer hunting must be made by ESTWING because there are a lot of similarities between the two. Whatever steel they used in that Sears Craftsman hatchet is great and I don't have to sharpen it very often at all. I sure wish that ESTWING made a bearded ax or bearded hatchet>> I'm going to check their website to see if they possibly do. I'm also going to check the Council Tool website because they are made here in the USA too.
Hey JD, I don’t think you could buy a better hammer than an Estwing for the money at least and I have a couple as well as my little hatchet, including a ball peen.

I haven’t worked on a building site in near twenty years but when I did; if you heard a hammer tapping you could bet shillings to pence it was an Estwing … excellent tools. :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I've been toying with the idea of picking up one of these inexpensive cold steel viking hand axes. Still considering a custom as well.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*