NFL Season Again

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

NFL Season Again

Post by JD Spydo »

Well last year about this same time I had thread going about my dearly beloved Kansas City Chiefs. I was very pre-mature in bragging about them last year and as a result I truly had to "eat crow" :o ( extremely embarrassing :rolleyes: ) But this year does indeed appear to be different from several aspects not only for the KC Chiefs but for about 4 other teams that have surprised me so far. For the first time since the days we had Joe Montana as our QB we now have what I consider to be a true premier Quarterback i.e. Patrick Mahomes. OK!!! OK!!! I already hear you all screaming at me that New England did finally rack up one very bitter loss for the Chiefs on week #6 >>but as of last night I believe they are on their way of redeeming themselves.

I truly believe that our new super QB Patrick Mahomes is the real deal (GOD Love Him :cool: ) I already rank him in the top 3 QBs in the entire NFL. OK guys and gals I know we USA forum members are from all over the country and we all have our favorite football teams and I know many of you guys in Canada and in some other countries follow NFL action. This already has been a most unusual season with many surprising upsets and personnel changes.

So let's use this thread to chat about the activities of the gridiron action of the 2018 NFL season. Predictions are welcome but like what happened to me last year you might end up being laughed at :o OK, OK I ate my Crow medium rare :o like a good sports fan. Also which team has surprised you all the most?
MacLaren

Re: NFL Season Again

Post by MacLaren »

The Chiefs imo, really need home field thru out the playoffs imo.
Tom Brady is hard enough to beat as it is. And, the Patriots are super hard to beat in Foxboro during the playoffs.
That being said, the Chiefs can imo, secure home field this year. Even with the loss to New England already. It will tough, but they can do it. As for who I think will win the Super Bowl this year? As of right now, I would say the L.A. Rams. The Rams look pretty much unbeatable right now. They have all the pieces and certainly the right Coach to guide them along. My team, the Steelers, just cant seem to get their heads outta thier rear ends long enough to really get things going like they should. And, that's a real shame, the Steelers, with Leveon Bell are freakin loaded with talent. What a waste.....I could go bbn on and on with other teams, but gotta go for now. Lastly, it's still fairly early in the season yet. As for your Chiefs, just pray Mahomes doesn't get hurt. Darn injuries have destroyed imo, a many a could be Super Bowl Champion teams, ( The Arizona Cardinals when Palmer was injured and the Oakland Raiders, when thier QB was hurt a few years ago.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Interesting that you mention Pittsburgh Steelers because that team is having some internal turmoil it seems. There's a big thrust in the city to remove Mike Tomlin the coach and it seems like big Ben may be showing signs of being hit too many times over his career. I was surprised that the Chiefs beat them as easily as they did. I thought they would win that one but not that easy.
Also Dallas which is actually another team I've liked for years is really going through some bad internal changes it seems. I think Tony Romo retiring was a big mistake. Because Prescott had that one good year and he's been kind of a let down since>> and like you said about the Steelers>> the Dallas team is loaded with talent but the chemistry is way off this year. The Redskins beating them yesterday probably sealed their fate for the season.
I tend to agree about the Rams being loaded with talent and the team seems to be doing much better since leaving St. Louis, MO I hated seeing them leave Missouri but L. A. is a much better sports town ( LONG LIVE THE LAKERS :cool: )
But in my gut I feel that Chiefs making the right trades to get Patrick Mahomes is already paying huge dividends and if we beat Denver this Sunday I don't think we have a hard game until we play the Rams>> and that's a Monday Night Game by the way>> that should draw serious national attention for the young, super talented Patrick Mahomes.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Lol, I didnt realize the Rams and Chiefs played each other this year. What a treat!!! Could very well a preview of the Super Bowl.
Imo, Pittsburgh has a Prima Donna problem, where as the Cowboys have a Jerry Jones problem lol. Just my 2 pennies.
And the Lakers 0-3. No worries! I believe they were without Rondo and another last night, but they will right the ship.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Boycotting the NFL.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:56 am
Lol, I didnt realize the Rams and Chiefs played each other this year. What a treat!!! Could very well a preview of the Super Bowl.
Imo, Pittsburgh has a Prima Donna problem, where as the Cowboys have a Jerry Jones problem lol. Just my 2 pennies.
And the Lakers 0-3. No worries! I believe they were without Rondo and another last night, but they will right the ship.

Try not to laugh too hard my Brother :D My L. A. Lakers obsession began all the way back to the Wilt Chamberlain/Jerry West/Elgin Baylor days of the late 60s :eek: I was still a kid when those guys were dominating.
I enjoyed the Showtime Lakers of the 80s/90s and won some good money betting on the Shaq/Kobe Lakers. Then with Phil Jackson's magic saw Kobe and Lamar Odom, and Pao Gasol pull it off again. Not sure when Big Pay-Day LeBron is going to take them back to the dance. Oh well I can remember the Good Ol Days while I'm waiting :D
You are so right about Jerry Jones being his own worst enemy :rolleyes: He won't let his coaches alone and Jason Garrett needed to be fired at least two years ago. I just hope that Mahomes doesn't fizzle out like Prescott did :o But I don't think that will happen>> this kid is truly something special. I just hope that they keep a good offensive line in place to protect him. That's the only reason that Lord Brady is still playing at all because Bill Bellyache had sense enough to give his "Hit Sensitive" QB mafia type protection :rolleyes:
I am just a bit worried about this upcoming Denver game> but it is here at Arrowhead Stadium and the Chiefs are really tough to beat here. Arrowhead has the Guinness Book of Records for the loudest decibels of sports fans in history. And they did that against Lord Brady and the esteemed Bill Bellyache :rolleyes: But teams with tough defenses like Denver has tend to haunt the Chiefs at times so I'm going to be a little on edge until this game is over. But if we can pull that one off here at Arrowhead Stadium then after that we don't have a serious opponent until the L.A. Rams game>> and it's a Monday Night game on the 19th of Nov. If we win that one I'll know that Mahomes is definitely following in the footsteps of the Great Joe Montana. I just wish we could have got Joe for more than two years. Everyone in KC loved him a lot. He came awfully close to taking us to the big dance>> and with a mediocre core of receivers at that :rolleyes:
Last edited by JD Spydo on Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:50 am
Boycotting the NFL.
All right Doc now you go take yourself a Xanax and calm down :D Doc Ol' buddy why might I ask you are boycotting the NFL :confused: It isn't over that kneeling crap is it? I just don't pay any attention to those cry-babies involved in that stuff. My beloved Chiefs won't put up with that non-sense at all. We got rid of a Pro-Bowl cornerback ( Marcus Peters) which I actually hated to see him discharged from the team. But this issue is causing a lot of distraction in locker rooms and I don't blame Andy Reid and company for not putting up with it. These stupid dunce-buckets making more money than most people will make in 12 lifetimes and then they cry like babies not getting their quota of chocolate chip cookies for crying out loud.
And I'm 1000% against any form of injustice done to anyone in this great country. But the football field isn't the place to address the issue. It would be just like if I went to work at my job and I would protest a corrupt Missouri politician on the job. Your job isn't the place you take up those issues>> and that's why the NFL is putting their foot down on these cry-babies >> billion dollar cry babies at that :mad:
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:52 am
MacLaren wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:56 am

Try not to laugh too hard my Brother :D My L. A. Lakers obsession began all the way back to the Wilt Chamberlain/Jerry West/Elgin Baylor days of the late 60s :eek: I was still a kid when those guys were dominating.
I enjoyed the Showtime Lakers of the 80s/90s and won some good money betting on the Shaq/Kobe Lakers. Then with Phil Jackson's magic saw Kobe and Lamar Odom, and Pao Gasol pull it off again. Not sure when Big Pay-Day LeBron is going to take them back to the dance. Oh well I can remember the Good Ol Days while I'm waiting :D
You are so right about Jerry Jones being his own worst enemy :rolleyes: He won't let his coaches alone and Jason Garrett needed to be fired at least two years ago. I just hope that Mahomes doesn't fizzle out like Prescott did :o But I don't think that will happen>> this kid is truly something special. I just hope that they keep a good offensive line in place to protect him. That's the only reason that Lord Brady is still playing at all because Bill Bellyache had sense enough to give his "Hit Sensitive" QB mafia type protection :rolleyes:
I am just a bit worried about this upcoming Denver game> but it is here at Arrowhead Stadium and the Chiefs are really tough to beat here. Arrowhead has the Guinness Book of Records for the loudest decibels of sports fans in history. And they did that against Lord Brady and the esteemed Bill Bellyache :rolleyes: But teams with tough defenses like Denver has tend to haunt the Chiefs at times so I'm going to be a little on edge until this game is over. But if we can pull that one off here at Arrowhead Stadium then after that we don't have a serious opponent until the L.A. Rams game>> and it's a Monday Night game on the 19th of Nov. If we win that one I'll know that Mahomes is definitely following in the footsteps of the Great Joe Montana. I just wish we could have got Joe for more than two years. Everyone in KC loved him a lot. He came awfully close to taking us to the big dance>> and with a mediocre core of receivers at that :rolleyes:
You misunderstood :D
Was laughing in joy knowing that I get to see the Rams and Chiefs play.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OK Brother I got you :) I kind of thought you were laughing at me being a devout L.A. Lakers fan>> knowing that they are probably not going to accomplish much this upcoming season with such a young team. But again my L. A. Laker obsession goes all the way back to the Wilt Chamberlain days (late 60s, early 70s)>> it was that group that set the all time NBA record of 33 wins in a row which to this day has never been threatened. But I digress because I made this an NFL football thread>> bad on me :o :D

But you are so right because if the Chiefs go into this upcoming Monday Night L.A. Rams game(11-19-18) with just one loss on their record it will probably be the highest rated Monday Night game of the entire season. I don't think anyone expected those two teams ( Chiefs & Rams) to be doing as good as they are now. Most Kansas City sportscasters were predicting the Chiefs to be at 9-7 for the season mainly because of Mahomes being a virtually Rookie QB. I guess it still could happen they could end up at 9-7 but I think they are going to do better than that. This upcoming game with Denver at Arrowhead will be a big hurdle until they meet the Rams. I think everyone is now taking Patrick Mahomes seriously.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

I'm with Doc. Boycott them until they're broke or they get their crap together and quit hating the country that gave them what they have.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Cheifs are unstoppable at this point. That offense is incredible. Mahomes, Hunt, Kelce, Hill. Add in Mahomes ability to scramble, NOBODY can keep up with Hill. If Mahomes gets 4+ seconds to throw the ball, heck even Hill's own shadow can't keep up with him haha!

The defense is a bit suspect, so luckily for them scoring 30 points a game is a walk in the park. If that defense shores things up and gets healthy, they have the total package and imo will be the team to beat.

Rams, Patriots and I also think the Vikings if they can get a running game going, could also be threats. Saints and Panthers as well, though I think the Panthers are a wide receiver away from being in the class of those teams.

I'm a Giants fan, so I don't have much to hang my hat on haha. But I've always loved the game and played through college (Division III) I play in 4 fantasy football leagues as well so I'm definitely a stat junkie. Glad to have stumbled across this thread!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I play fantasy football, so naturally I’m angry at the NFL at this point. Fantasy football is a masochistic endeavor.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

tvenuto wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:56 am
I play fantasy football, so naturally I’m angry at the NFL at this point. Fantasy football is a masochistic endeavor.
Draft better teams! :p

-Rick
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Sorry I didn’t have the #1 pick, I’ll work on that for next time. To quote the guy sitting at 7-0 in our league:

“I don’t always field the right players, but I alway field the right Gurley.”
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yeaaa, he single handedly handed me 2 losses the past 2 weeks. Amazing some picked actually picked Bell over him.

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:54 am
The Cheifs are unstoppable at this point. That offense is incredible. Mahomes, Hunt, Kelce, Hill. Add in Mahomes ability to scramble, NOBODY can keep up with Hill. If Mahomes gets 4+ seconds to throw the ball, heck even Hill's own shadow can't keep up with him haha!

The defense is a bit suspect, so luckily for them scoring 30 points a game is a walk in the park. If that defense shores things up and gets healthy, they have the total package and imo will be the team to beat.

I'm a Giants fan, so I don't have much to hang my hat on haha. But I've always loved the game and played through college (Division III) I play in 4 fantasy football leagues as well so I'm definitely a stat junkie. Glad to have stumbled across this thread!
Totally 100% agree with everything you said about the Chiefs. Kelce reminds me of another Tony Gonzalez. Tyreek Hill runs faster than most white-tail deer I've hunted. Kareem Hunt isn't a power running back but hardly no one can find a hole quicker than he can. We haven't had an offense similar to this one since the Dick Vermeil days with Trent Green, Priest Holmes, Tony Gonzalez and Eddie Kennison.

Even our retired Superbowl QB Len Dawson ( Hall of Famer) has recently said that talent like Patrick Mahomes doesn't come around very often. That speaks volumes to me coming from one of the greatest of all time ( even Joe Montana agrees with him :cool: ). Poor Andy Reid has probably waited for this his entire coaching life for a QB like Mahomes and his super supporting cast>> Because Donovan McNabb sure laid an egg on him on several occasions.

But now the Defense has gotten better the past two games and I heard that Justin Houston might be back for this upcoming Denver game. When he's hitting on 8 cylinders there isn't a QB in the league that can feel safe :D And that Dee Ford & Chris Jones both just get better each game. But you're right they have a lot of work to do. I sure wish we could raise Derrick Thomas from the dead>> now that was a pass rusher extraordinaire :cool:

Oh by the way I'm so grateful to your wonderful New York Giants for literally destroying Lord Brady in 2 Superbowls :rolleyes: And with Eli Manning to boot. But the Giants really had a super defense in those days.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Those Chiefs sure seem to luck out with some great rb's over the past 15 years or so. Holmes, Johnson, Charles now Hunt. That's a lot of talent right there!

I live in Syracuse, so McNabb was like the second coming of Jesus around here for quite some time. I was never a fan (being a Giants fan) but him and Romo were like the same guy...great regular season qbs, then choke in the playoffs. Granted McNabb did play in a Superbowl. Then you have my Eli, typically average to mediocre. But if he gets to the playoffs, he's one of the best qbs ever. Such a weird legacy he will have.

You're right though, the Chiefs do have some important pieces coming back. Would love to see Berry on the field again as well. A lot of respect for that man! That defense looked great Sunday night. I expected a shootout as the Bengals can put up points themselves, but that was an ugly game. You guys dominated both sides of the ball. Arrowhead is not a place I'd want to play at as an opposing player haha.

Derrick Thomas, so tragic. As a young boy in the 90's when us kids would play football in our neighborhood I was always DT when I played defense! 11 year old pass rushing specialist hahaha.

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Whoa....the Rams could be a threat?
The Chiefs unstoppable?
Tom Brady and the Patriots already stopped the Chiefs.
No one has stopped the Rams.
Yeah....The Rams are pretty much unstoppable and the Chiefs a threat as it is right now fellas.
Not trying to rain on the Chiefs parade here, but the LA Rams are the team to beat.
*This is all in good fun fellas :D *
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I would agree, but I'm currently bitter towards Todd Gurley for my own selfish reasons haha.

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:34 am
Whoa....the Rams could be a threat?
The Chiefs unstoppable?
Tom Brady and the Patriots already stopped the Chiefs.
No one has stopped the Rams.
Yeah....The Rams are pretty much unstoppable and the Chiefs a threat as it is right now fellas.
Not trying to rain on the Chiefs parade here, but the LA Rams are the team to beat.
*This is all in good fun fellas :D *
The season isn't even half over yet. And the only loss the Chiefs have had was when they had to play Lord Brady on his home field>> and by the way we only lost that game by 3 lousy points>> I would hardly consider that to be a dominating blow out by any standards. New England who a lot of you favor has had 2 losses to the just one for the Chiefs. And do consider this is for all intent and purposes Patrick Mahomes is really in his Rookie Year in many ways. I think Patrick has done far better than most any Rookie QB I can remember.
But yes this is all in good fun. And I could repeat what happened to me last year when I had to eat crow :o

But if our defense continues to improve like it has for the past two games in particular I think we could be "The TEAM TO BEAT". And Lord Brady has father time knocking at his door. He might be one or two big time hits away from retirement. Actually he would be a fool if he didn't retire at the end of this year. The team I'm most worried about being a sleeper is the L. A. Chargers. They are starting to get their act together.

With all that being said and with all we have to consider at this point in the season not even being half over>> it is going to get really interesting no matter how it plays out. I like what one old Broadcaster from here in KC used to say years ago. "In The Department Store Of Life You Must Realize That SPORTS Is In The TOY Department :D But it is becoming a most interesting season none the less.