NFL Season Again

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: NFL Season Again

Post by MacLaren »

And, what's crazy is waiting to see if a dark horse emerges.
Right now, I think the New Orleans Saints can make a legitimate run for the Super Bowl too.
Ya know, Kansas City has such a good shot at making the Super Bowl being in the AFC alone. I feel the NFC is much stronger overall.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:54 pm
And, what's crazy is waiting to see if a dark horse emerges.
Right now, I think the New Orleans Saints can make a legitimate run for the Super Bowl too.
Ya know, Kansas City has such a good shot at making the Super Bowl being in the AFC alone. I feel the NFC is much stronger overall.
Yeah New Orleans is most definitely a potential sleeper which could bloom at any time. I'm so utterly disappointed in the Oakland Raiders this year :(
I really felt that Jon Gruden could take that team to a much higher level right away. There must be some really bad blood in that locker room or maybe the players are having terrible trouble adapting to his system. I thought from the start of the season that the Raiders were going to give the Chiefs the most trouble in our division.

But the Chargers could potentially surprise us all that is if the Chiefs would have injuries to two or more of their key players. Because injuries are what has our defense at a disadvantage>> however I've seen a lot of improvement on the defensive unit in the past two games especially. The NFC does have some real talent but Dallas and the NY Giants both have been horrible disappointments this year>> and both clubs have huge potential but I do believe that they both have serious coaching problems. Jason Garrett should have been fired at least two years ago.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs got the victory 30 to 23. Not the most impressive win we've had but we will take it anyway. Denver found out that winning at Arrowhead stadium isn't an easy task :cool: . Well on to Cleveland and I sure hope that the Chiefs don't get over confident :rolleyes:

The new QB, Patrick Mahomes is paying a huge dividend for this team. And now our defense is finally getting serious.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mahomes is un-real. Sky is the limit for K.C.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Tonight's game will also give us a good look at another team that will be a contender this season.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:21 pm
Tonight's game will also give us a good look at another team that will be a contender this season.
You make a good point Brother because the Houston Texan's might just have an ace in the hole. They are among some sleeper teams in the NFL that I've kept an eye on all season. Some of the other sleepers that worry me are the L.A. Chargers, The Carolina Panthers, The Minnesota Vikings and last year's Champs the Philadelphia Eagles. And before a bunch of you guys go into hysterical laughter thinking I need to see a Shrink just ask yourself how many people even gave Phillie a chance at beat Lord Brady in the 2018 Superbowl??? I was one of the very few here where I live that gave them a chance.

Right now my KC Chiefs team along with the L.A. Rams are the obvious frontrunners. But as unpredictable as the NFL is at times I'm still giving those teams I listed a chance because I believe all them are potential sleepers which could end up snakebiting every team in the NFL in my most humble opinion.

But as long as Patrick Mahomes doesn't get hurt I only see him getting better as time goes on. And the L.A. Rams are so well balanced in every phase of the game it's really hard to bet against them too. Well it's going to be interesting for sure.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The New Orleans Saints look tough as Nails right now.
They went to Minnesota and took care of business.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Can't believe the Rams Green Bay game. Number 88 has prolly caught all manner a trouble for that decision to run the ball back on the kickoff. Because didnt we all know that Aaron Rodgers was gonna take the Packers down field and into field goal range at the very least? He never got a chance...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:44 am
Can't believe the Rams Green Bay game. Number 88 has prolly caught all manner a trouble for that decision to run the ball back on the kickoff. Because didnt we all know that Aaron Rodgers was gonna take the Packers down field and into field goal range at the very least? He never got a chance...
I'm kind of an Aaron Rogers fan and I've liked his style ever since he got in the league. But the Packers have disappointed me the past two years or so. With all the talent on that team they should be doing better than they are IMO. I got a feeling that Coach McCarthy is probably on the hot seat. Green Bay is kind of like Kansas City in a way>> they both need to bolster their defensive units a lot.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:07 am
MacLaren wrote:
I'm kind of an Aaron Rogers fan and I've liked his style ever since he got in the league. But the Packers have disappointed me the past two years or so. With all the talent on that team they should be doing better than they are IMO. I got a feeling that Coach McCarthy is probably on the hot seat. Green Bay is kind of like Kansas City in a way>> they both need to bolster their defensive units a lot.
I agree. The Packers are a hard team to figure out.
But, then again, it really shows just how hard it is to win it all in the NFL. Aaron Rodgers, imo, is the most talented QB in the league. The throws he can make are really incredible.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:16 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:07 am
MacLaren wrote:
I agree. The Packers are a hard team to figure out.
But, then again, it really shows just how hard it is to win it all in the NFL. Aaron Rodgers, imo, is the most talented QB in the league. The throws he can make are really incredible.
I remember the first time all the way back when Brett Favre was still on the team he got hurt>> it was the first time that Aaron Rogers ever had to sub for Favre>> at that time I was convinced he even had more talent than Favre had. And I'm kind of a Brett Favre fan too>> but Favre throughout his career threw way too many interceptions IMO.

Whereas I believe Patrick Mahomes has only threw 2 of 3 interceptions all season long. That's just totally unbelievable for a rookie IMO.

And I do believe that Favre blew that second Superbowl he played in. He literally gave that one to Mr. Ed >> whoops I meant to say John Elway :rolleyes: :D
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Lol, I hear ya JD.
I loved Favre. Talk about a strong arm. They didnt call him the gunslinger for nothin. But, he did throw a lot pics.
But, now a days I think we all will wander how older QBs would do with the rules that we have today. QB protection rules that is.
That makes me think of Dan Marino. Dan Marino was an incredible natural passer. Had the quickest release I've ever seen. Can you even imagine how many yards Marino would throw for with the QB protection rules of today lol....
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:36 am
Lol, I hear ya JD.
I loved Favre. Talk about a strong arm. They didnt call him the gunslinger for nothin. But, he did throw a lot pics.
But, now a days I think we all will wander how older QBs would do with the rules that we have today. QB protection rules that is.
That makes me think of Dan Marino. Dan Marino was an incredible natural passer. Had the quickest release I've ever seen. Can you even imagine how many yards Marino would throw for with the QB protection rules of today lol....
No argument what so ever about Marino or Favre :cool: And it truly was considered an upset when Joe Montana and the 49ers beat Marino and the Dolfins in the 84 Superbowl. I remember that I had two friends wanting to bet with me on that game and I wouldn't do it because I thought that Joe might have met his match on that game. But just goes to show you how great Joe Montana was under pressure.

The only other QB I can remember that would literally blossom under pressure as good as Joe Montana was Roger Staubach of the old Dallas Cowboys. It seemed like both of those guys got better as the pressure got worse. And poor Marino never got another chance after that either. But Fran Tarkenton was also considered a premier QB and he never won a Superbowl either. Who ever said that life was fair was just flat out lying IMO :rolleyes:

But with Patrick Mahomes I think you got another "Gunslinger" >> it's been reported on the local Sports Radio here in KC that in practice Mahomes is hitting these guys with 85 yard bombs consistently :eek: Like I said before I think Andy Reid has been waiting all of his football life for a QB like Mahomes. And he's still just a kid for all intent and purposes. The only thing that can ruin it for him would be some type of bad injury but they seem to be protecting him pretty well so far. But I think it's fair to say that Mahomes is "Gunslinger 2" and I bet Favre himself wouldn't argue with that.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

As for Mahomes, he is a phenom as it is now. However, I wanna see what he does next year. I'm gonna reserve judgement until then. Don't get me wrong, I'm not short changing Patty. He is a phenom this year, no doubt about it. I'm just really excited to see what happens next year. ........( Andrew Luck, RGIII, etc )
Of course, that awful injury RGIII changed him forever for the worse.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:28 am
As for Mahomes, he is a phenom as it is now. However, I wanna see what he does next year. I'm gonna reserve judgement until then. Don't get me wrong, I'm not short changing Patty. He is a phenom this year, no doubt about it. I'm just really excited to see what happens next year. ........( Andrew Luck, RGIII, etc )
And you have an excellent point because I remember about 2 to 3 years ago when Dallas QB Dak Prescott entered the league. I then thought he would be the next super-QB for Dallas but he sure has not performed anything like he did his first year. and you are 1000% right about Luck and RGIII :confused: I"m still baffled by those two. I think they both might have suffered from getting a big head way too soon.

But as far as Patrick's mobility I haven't seen anything like his since Michael Vick entered the league>> and what a disgusting letdown that was :( But I do think that Patrick is just a bit smarter than he was. But football is like a lot of other sports>> it's always a case of "What Have You Done For Me Lately" and we'll see if the magic continues. IF he wins these next 3 games ( L. A. Rams included) I don't think there will be any stopping him and I believe we could finish the season at about 14-2. That would give us home field throughout the playoffs>> and the opposing teams don't like playing at ARROWHEAD STADIUM :D ( and New England included on that one :D )
Last edited by JD Spydo on Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:44 am
MacLaren wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:28 am
And you have an excellent point because I remember about 2 to 3 years ago when Dallas QB Dak Prescott entered the league. I then thought he would be the next super-QB for Dallas but he sure has not performed anything like he did his first year. and you are 1000% right about Luck and RGIII :confused: I"m still baffled by those two. I think they both might have suffered from getting a big head way too soon.

But as far as Patrick's mobility I haven't seen anything like his since Michael Vick entered the league>> and what a disgusting letdown that was :( But I do think that Patrick is just a bit smarter than he was. But football is like a lot of other sports>> it's always a case of "What Have You Done For Me Lately" and we'll see if the magic continues. IF he wins these next 3 games ( L. A. Rams included) I don't think there will be any stopping him and I believe we could finish the season at about 14-2. That would give us home field throughout the playoffs>> and the opposing teams don't like playing at ARROWHEAD STADIUM :D
Yup. :D
And, seriously I say that with a grain of salt per say. Because everything Patty Mahomes has done this year, leads me to believe he can do it every year!! Barring a torn ACL or Rotator Cuff, - God forbid either of those catastrophic injuries, I really believe Mahomes is the real deal. He's just dam good to be honest about it lol.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

One big thing to confirm that about Mahomes is that he can even do it against really mean defenses :cool: I know that Denver's record this year has not been good but their defense is still one of the meanest in the NFL and he beat them decisively both games we played them. Not to mention Pittsburgh and Jacksonville who also have good defensive units. That factor alone is what really has me impressed with him.

Like I said in an earlier post there has been a lot of talk on two of the Sports radio stations here in KC that Mahomes is routinely throwing 80 yard bombs in practice. I have to go all the way back to Dan Fouts and Roger Staubach for comparisons of guys with accuracy at those distances and yes I can include Favre too on that one. And we all know what caliber of QBs they were.

Yeah if he doesn't get into drugs, alcohol, bad women, gambling or get injured like you said it will be interesting to see how he develops. But this is the best thing the Chiefs has had since we got Joe Montana.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Personal life is absolutely crucial to success in the NFL.
That's a very good point. But, he seems like he really has his ducks in a row. I would be more worried about injuries with Mahomes.
Being in the NFL is a fragile existence imo. Of course, we all know really what the NFL stands for. ......Not For Long
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:14 pm
Personal life is absolutely crucial to success in the NFL.
That's a very good point. But, he seems like he really has his ducks in a row. I would be more worried about injuries with Mahomes.
Being in the NFL is a fragile existence imo. Of course, we all know really what the NFL stands for. ......Not For Long
Those last 3 words do say a lot. Because the Marcus Allens, Brett Favres or Roger Staubachs of the football world are most definitely the exceptions of the NFL's super long list of guys that didn't even last 3 years in the NFL. Brian Bosworth immediately comes to mind when thinking about injury shortened careers on the gridiron.

And you're right!! I didn't mention Lord Brady and Bill Bellyache because they have the arrogance of Leona Helmsley, Bette Davis, or several politicians I could name :rolleyes: . Not to mention all the lying, cheating and overall dirty trick artistry they have been guilty of over the years.

And I do realize that it's a bit early to assess the overall persona of Patrick Mahomes but he honestly does seem like a pretty humble guy and a real team player on top of everything else. Everyone here in KC really loves the guy and I've not heard anything negative mentioned about him in the local media and that's saying a lot because the KC media is a well known Peyton Place of gossip to say the least.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Well, today is a GREAT day for NFL games!!
Rams vs Saints
Steelers vs Ravens
Packers vs Patriots ( Rodgers vs Brady ! )
Here's my picks:
Rams vs Saints - Rams ( should be extremely close )
Steelers vs Ravens - Steelers
Packers vs Patriots - Patriots
*Edit, Post Script* I could be really wrong about picking the Rams, as they are playing in New Orleans. But, either way, and as stated before, whomever wins its should be really close