NFL Season Again

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: NFL Season Again

Post by JD Spydo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:02 pm
Game of the year right there! Can't wait for that. Neutral site....my prediction is 38-35....KC!

Rams losing Cupp today is a big loss for them. Takes away a lot of their firepower and a sneaky 3rd down guy.
Thanks for the information>> I didn't hear that about the RAMS. But if we get Eric Berry back and Sammy Watkins back by next week we should be in a great position. Also if Lord Brady loses one more game this year>> well actually I hope they end up at 9-7 :rolleyes: But even if they just lose one more game we should be in an excellent position for the playoffs. Our only loss was to Lord Brady and only 3 lousy points at that :rolleyes:

New Orleans just seems to be getting better each game. I just can't understand why Green Bay is doing so lousy this year :( Well after the RAMS the hard part of our schedule is over for KC. IF we can get home field advantage in the playoffs at ARROWHEAD stadium it will be huge. I've never seen any of Andy Reid's teams with the firepower they put together this year. IF our defense can continue to improve like it has in the past 2 games it will be interesting. This entire season in the NFL has been most interesting across the board. Many surprises, many upsets.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Saints are scary good. Hall of fame qb, a super stud receiver in Thomas and their most lethal weapons, Kamara and Ingram. Those 2 guys can just wear a defense down. Not to mention, both are amazing receivers out of the backfield. No other team in the league has 2 backs with that much talent and Sean Payton knows exactly how to use them. Not to mention their defense seems to be starting to play better as well.

After this week, far and away the tip 3 teams are the Rams, Chiefs and Saints. None are the clear cut best team in my opinion. All 3 are incredible.

Here last week I called the NFC South the best overall division in football. Then the Falcons fall to the Browns and the Panthers got absolutely embarrassed in Pittsburgh on Thursday night. You never know!!!

Jealous you guys have some great teams to follow, while I wait out my lowly Giants to embarrass themselves in national tv yet again tomorrow night!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:58 pm
Saints are scary good. Hall of fame qb, a super stud receiver in Thomas and their most lethal weapons, Kamara and Ingram.

After this week, far and away the tip 3 teams are the Rams, Chiefs and Saints. None are the clear cut best team in my opinion. All 3 are incredible.

Jealous you guys have some great teams to follow, while I wait out my lowly Giants to embarrass themselves in national tv yet again tomorrow night!
Well I'm glad to hear you are a NY Giants fan. Because I'm forever grateful for the two Superbowls in which your NY Giants literally destroyed Lord Brady & Bill Bellyache. And they did it grand fashion in both games. Brady was so arrogant in the media on that first Superbowl with the Giants that I almost went hunting that day and didn't watch the game. But a good friend of mine had great food and invited me over to what turned out to be one of the best Superbowls I ever watched. Actually it was second to the 1985 Chicago Bears Superbowl in my humble opinion. Again I'll be forever grateful to Eli Manning & Co for giving Mr. Brady a hard lesson in life twice :D

In one way I would rather not even play New England in the playoffs but in another way I would love to play them here at ARROWHEAD stadium and give them the same spanking we gave them back in that one Monday Night game in the fall of 2014 when we set the Guinness Book Of World Records for the loudest Sports Stadium in the history of the world. If our defense would just continue to get better I do think we have a chance to go to the big dance.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I'm kinda wandering if the Eagles shouldn't just go ahead and pull Wentz and start Foles. I think Foles is still with the Eagles?
At any rate, the season is far, far, far, from over..... Teams that are now 4-5, still have a chance to finsish 11-5.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:51 am
I'm kinda wandering if the Eagles shouldn't just go ahead and pull Wentz and start Foles. I think Foles is still with the Eagles?
At any rate, the season is far, far, far, from over..... Teams that are now 4-5, still have a chance to finsish 11-5.
I'm with you on that one. Because the Eagles have really been disappointing to me especially after their victory over Lord Brady and Master Bellyache in the Superbowl. I truly thought they were going to carry over into this season. Actually Foles has shown himself quite capable in the past and may even be the very best back-up QB in the NFC. The Eagles and Cowboys both have had horribly disappointing seasons with the talent they have. And you were right in an earlier post that Jerry Jones is a borderline mental case and should let someone else run the team. Jason Garrett should have been fired long ago IMO.

I just heard something very interesting on one of the local Sports Radio Stations here in KC this morning. Rumor has it that if Andy Reid doesn't at least get us to the Superbowl this year he will be on the chopping block. I find that extremely interesting and I'm actually sort of believing it. Because if he lays an egg in the playoffs with this group of guys I really think the Chiefs fans will be extremely livid and they will probably demand his release. Because virtually everyone you talk to believes we are going to the big game. If he's ever going back to the big dance again he better do it with this group because I doubt if he could ever assemble anything again like what he has now.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:11 am
MacLaren wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:51 am
I'm with you on that one. Because the Eagles have really been disappointing to me especially after their victory over Lord Brady and Master Bellyache in the Superbowl. I truly thought they were going to carry over into this season. Actually Foles has shown himself quite capable in the past and may even be the very best back-up QB in the NFC. The Eagles and Cowboys both have had horribly disappointing seasons with the talent they have. And you were right in an earlier post that Jerry Jones is a borderline mental case and should let someone else run the team. Jason Garrett should have been fired long ago IMO.

I just heard something very interesting on one of the local Sports Radio Stations here in KC this morning. Rumor has it that if Andy Reid doesn't at least get us to the Superbowl this year he will be on the chopping block. I find that extremely interesting and I'm actually sort of believing it. Because if he lays an egg in the playoffs with this group of guys I really think the Chiefs fans will be extremely livid and they will probably demand his release. Because virtually everyone you talk to believes we are going to the big game. If he's ever going back to the big dance again he better do it with this group because I doubt if he could ever assemble anything again like what he has now.
Hmmm.....that is very interesting indeed.
Andy Reid is a helluva coach. Mo doubt about it. But, he has had trouble in the playoffs, and has lost one Super Bowl that I know of. But, many have lost to Brady and Belichick.
If I were the brass in KC, I would tread very lightly. I wouldn't fire Andy unless I had someone very,very, good to replace him.
Ya know, I would love to see what OC Todd Haley could do with that offense!! Haley has a helluva an ego, but man can he orchestrate an offense.....
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The KC Chiefs had Todd Haley as their head coach in the early part of this decade>> he also laid an egg in the playoffs on more than one occasion. When Mr. Haley was fired many KC fans were literally celebrating his departure. When we had Dick Vermeil as head coach we had a dominating offense but a very mundane defense. I liked Dick Vermeil but he just put all of his cookies in one basket unfortunately.

Marty Shottenheimer on the other hand focused on defense more than anything else>> and he had a fierce, formidable defense for quite some time. We had more victories provided by our defense under him than anyone else in Chief's history. I really don't want Andy to get fired but I do see what the fans are anxious about. We've had so many playoff disappointments that something needs to change. But the defense has picked it up a few notches in the past 3 games and if they continue they should be tough to beat.

If Andy gets us to the Superbowl I think he will be OK>> we could even lose the Superbowl and I think they would give him another chance. However if he doesn't at least get us to the big dance he could indeed be on the chopping block. KC fans do demand results which is a big reason we lost our NBA team ( the Kings).
Last edited by JD Spydo on Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:57 am
The KC Chiefs had Todd Haley as their head coach in the early part of this decade>> he also laid an egg in the playoffs on more than one occasion. When Mr. Haley was fired many KC fans were literally celebrating his departure. When we had Dick Vermeil as head coach we had a dominating offense but a very mundane defense. I liked Dick Vermeil but he just put all of his cookies in one basket unfortunately.

Marty Shottenheimer on the other hand focused on defense more than anything else>> and he had a fierce, formidable defense for quite some time. We have more victories provided by our defense under him than anyone else in Chief's history. I really don't want Andy to get fired but I do see what the fans are anxious about. We've had so many playoff disappointments that something needs to change. But the defense has picked it up a few notches in the past 3 games and if they continue they should be tough to beat.

If Andy gets us to the Superbowl I think he will be OK>> we could even lose the Superbowl and I think they would give him another chance. However if he doesn't at least get us to the big dance he could indeed be on the chopping block. KC fans do demand results which is a big reason we lost our NBA team ( the Kings).
Very impressive. You know your team. Well done.
I wander, who would you consider to replace Andy Reid, in the current market? To me, it's a tough decision. Not sure I would let Andy go. The right person would have to be available imo.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Not sure who I would replace Andy Reid with :confused: Coaching is a complicated set of dynamics to say the least. For about 3 years there were a lot of the fans wanting Jon Gruden to be the Chief's coach before and after they hired Andy Reid. But I've been extremely disappointed with what Jon Gruden has done with the Raiders in his second tenure with that team. And he has been considered a football genius by a lot of his peers>> go figure :rolleyes:

One of the Harbaugh Brothers would be interesting to see how either one of them could do here. I've toyed with the idea of Eric Bieniemy as a possible successor to Andy Reid. That's a tough one because right now I'm not sure who would even be available. Jon Gruden's brother is on the hot seat at Washington but so far I don't think he's got the talent his brother has. I'm just hoping that Andy will get us to the big dance and put up a good fight>> if he does that I think he's safe.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Gruden. To me, it's pretty simple. He wants draft picks. He wants his own team. And the City of Oakland get ZERO this year. I honestly believe he wants to finish last in the league to have the #1 draft pick next year. I just hope he knows what hes doing lol.
As for Gruden himself, hes GOLDEN. If I'm not too terrible mistaken, that 100 million dollar contract/10 years) is guaranteed money. It'll be really interesting to see how things shake out when they get settled in Vegas.
P.S. I mean can anyone honestly believe what Carr did yesterday?
Grounding the ball on 4th down. A starting NFL QB - no less, somehow forgetting it was 4th down? That team doesn't wanna win imo.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:37 am
Gruden. To me, it's pretty simple. He wants draft picks. He wants his own team. And the City of Oakland get ZERO this year. I honestly believe he wants to finish last in the league to have the #1 draft pick next year. I just hope he knows what hes doing lol.
As for Gruden himself, hes GOLDEN. If I'm not too terrible mistaken, that 100 million dollar contract/10 years) is guaranteed money. It'll be really interesting to see how things shake out when they get settled in Vegas.
Grounding the ball on 4th down. A starting NFL QB - no less, somehow forgetting it was 4th down? That team doesn't wanna win imo.
You may have something there>> because something sure doesn't pass the smell test :rolleyes: Personally I thought he would make a serious run at the Western Division>> at the beginning of the year I was more afraid of what Oakland would do instead of Denver or L.A. Chargers. I'm getting convinced that the L. A. Chargers are the paper tiger. For some reason I don't even think they'll make the wild card. We play them once more here at ARROWHEAD next month ( the 13th). We play Oakland twice before the season's end>> we should get both of those games.

It just doesn't seem right that the Oakland Raiders with their rich tradition in the NFL would go to Vegas of all places. But I'm sure that Lost Wages ( Las Vegas) will welcome them with open arms :rolleyes: Yeah because there was no doubt the INDY took a dive that one year just to get Andrew Luck>> that sure didn't pan out the way they planned.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:46 am
MacLaren wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:37 am
You may have something there>> because something sure doesn't pass the smell test :rolleyes: Personally I thought he would make a serious run at the Western Division>> at the beginning of the year I was more afraid of what Oakland would do instead of Denver or L.A. Chargers. I'm getting convinced that the L. A. Chargers are the paper tiger. For some reason I don't even think they'll make the wild card. We play them once more here at ARROWHEAD next month ( the 13th). We play Oakland twice before the season's end>> we should get both of those games.

It just doesn't seem right that the Oakland Raiders with their rich tradition in the NFL would go to Vegas of all places. But I'm sure that Lost Wages ( Las Vegas) will welcome them with open arms :rolleyes: Yeah because there was no doubt the INDY took a dive that one year just to get Andrew Luck>> that sure didn't pan out the way they planned.
Well, I think they already have 2 #1 picks when they dealt away Mack (Chicago) and Cooper (Dallas) so, finish last in the league and theres another #1 pick.
I just hate it for Carr. Because, Gruden will drop him like a bad habit.
At the 1st of the year, I was very excited to see what Gruden could do with the Raiders. I like you thought they would be highly competitive. But, then he traded away Mack......and so on.
P.S.
JD, I must say, you are extremely knowledgeable about sports, in particular your Chiefs. It's been very fun having this thread.
Thank you.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Another item to consider about Jon Gruden is that he is not a "player's coach" >> he's more like a 3rd World dictator in many respects :rolleyes: Because Andy Reid, Marty Schottenheimer, Dick Vermeil are all "player's coaches" and in the long run you do better with that method than you would with a Joseph Stalin type of coach. Just look at all the player versus coach controversy he had in Tampa Bay :rolleyes: .

Also Since Al Davis died I've noticed a lot of internal strife going on in that organization. The old/original owners just had a lot more class than these newer generation of owners. People like Al Davis, Ralph Wilson and our own Lamar Hunt were truly born leaders as well as good owners. Davis Junior just doesn't have what it takes to run an NFL football team IMO. I would have never paid Gruden 100 million dollars with all the bright, talented up and comers out there to select from for a lot less than that.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:14 pm
Another item to consider about Jon Gruden is that he is not a "player's coach" >> he's more like a 3rd World dictator in many respects :rolleyes: Because Andy Reid, Marty Schottenheimer, Dick Vermeil are all "player's coaches" and in the long run you do better with that method than you would with a Joseph Stalin type of coach. Just look at all the player versus coach controversy he had in Tampa Bay :rolleyes: .

Also Since Al Davis died I've noticed a lot of internal strife going on in that organization. The old/original owners just had a lot more class than these newer generation of owners. People like Al Davis, Ralph Wilson and our own Lamar Hunt were truly born leaders as well as good owners. Davis Junior just doesn't have what it takes to run an NFL football team IMO. I would have never paid Gruden 100 million dollars with all the bright, talented up and comers out there to select from for a lot less than that.
I was flabbergasted when I hear how long and how much they signed Gruden for.
Gruden, however imo, may be more of an anything goes coach. If you listen to Warren Sapp, you'll find out Gruden is pretty wild.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:16 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:14 pm

I was flabbergasted when I hear how long and how much they signed Gruden for.
Gruden, however imo, may be more of an anything goes coach. If you listen to Warren Sapp, you'll find out Gruden is pretty wild.
Guess you don't remember the all out war that Gruden and wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson had going on at the time. There were other Tampa Bay players that didn't like him either. I've never heard Warren Sapp speak out against Gruden but I can imagine how badly those two would clash :rolleyes: When Gruden won that Superbowl down there he basically did it with a defensive gem of a team that Tony Dungy had put together.

Because after that it seemed like they never got their act together again in that decade. Gruden's brother has been somewhat of a disappointment with the Redskins> I believe our ex QB Alex Smith is actually coming to his aid and bailing him out. Alex has done much better up in Washington that I ever dreamed he would. Alex was well liked here in KC but he just never could get us deep into the post season.

Yeah Mark Davis truly needs to see a brain surgeon>> because something is really short circuiting upstairs to be paying any coach 100 Million dollars in 10 years. Like I said earlier with all the up and coming coaching talent out there he could have got a decent coach with a small fraction of what he is paying Gruden. Even our Eric Bieniemy I think is probably ready for some type of head coaching job. He's done great in his position with the Chiefs> for all practical purposes you might just as well say he's Andy Reid's assistant coach>> and a good one at that.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It's half time with the Chiefs and the Rams tied 23-23. The way the game started I was beginning to believe that the Chiefs were going to get routed. But the courage of the defense to rise to the occasion has kept us in the game. Penalties almost put us behind the 8 ball but Patrick Mahomes, Tyreek Hill and Kareem Hunt along with Tight End Kelce have kept us in the game. I'm not even going to try to predict an outcome because I truly think it's only going to take one mistake to determine this game.

I'm optimistic however because I was surprised that Mahomes kept his composure and the offensive weapons didn't give up. And if our defense can put it up a couple of notches I still think we can win. Everyone here in KC is watching the game and I mean virtually everyone. The big road here in town which is 7 highway which is normally bumper to bumper is truly at a trickle. Be back after the second half>> JD sicker than **** from a major Migraine headache for the past 2 days reporting. :(
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I haven't had to eat too much crow this season but the Chiefs did lose 54-51>> just like the New England game they only lost by 3 points. So I guess you could say that it wasn't shameful. They could still go 14-2 or 13-3>> either one of those records would still give us home field throughout the playoffs. Even though they lost they still made a great effort> and maybe this might be a blessing in disguise to let them know that they can't ease up for the rest of the season. Oh what the heck even the great Joe Montana didn't win every game he played. After the bye week I look for the Chiefs to be hitting on 8 cylinders again. Oh well what can I say>> I've have my crow now but I want it medium-well this time.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

All I can say is that was the best game of the year thus far!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Like I said in my last post this may be a blessing in disguise. Because it is probably a good thing for young Patrick Mahomes to see that it's going to take hard work to erase the mistakes he made in that game. He tried to force a lot of passes that were way too risky even with his talent. I do believe that Andy Reid and the team and going to take this next 13 days off with the bye week to remedy some of the problems that were obvious in that game.

But look at it this way the only 2 times we lost this season was only by 3 points in both games. Not bad for an almost rookie QB. I bet every rookie QB wishes they could have a season like Patrick Mahomes is having. He has already busted a TD record set by Lenny Dawson all the way back to the 1960s.
The Chiefs as a team have set a new record for 30+ point games and I believe they will probably have at least 3 more of them before the season is over.

These mistakes might just prove to be very profitable when they get to look at the videos and see what had to be corrected. I think they could possibly run the table with the remaining teams we have to face. I'm not as bummed as I was last night and I think good things will come from this game.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

What's scary right now are the Saints. They are just steamrolling everyone.