Wicked Edge WE 50 / Go Sharpening system

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
tps3443

Wicked Edge WE 50 / Go Sharpening system

Post by tps3443 »

**** everyone, I had ordered a KME D4 Sharpening system, my credit card authorization was taking forever. So, I canceled this order, after finding out it was the wrong item # anyways that I thought I was getting.

Now, what made me have 2nd thoughts and cancel was the Wicked edge WE50/GO model. I just had to much time to think it over before they charged me.

I like the Wicked edge GO better than the KME. I can sharpen both sides at once. And I like the arms, and dual sided stones.

This Wicked Edge GO only includes Diamond 200 Grit, and Diamond 600 Grit stones. What do you guys think?

Ive read good things. Seems like a nice setup for $197 shipped. Which was the same price roughly as my KME with base I originally ordered; but cancelled.

Anyone have one?
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
vivi

Re: Wicked Edge WE 50 / Go Sharpening system

Post by vivi »

For half that price you can get an xx course DMT + a medium or fine spyderco bench stone. That'll do everything you need outside of recurves and serrations, which is where the sharpmaker shines.
:unicorn
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Nb4 the move
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

I don't have the Go, but I did have the Field and Sport before getting the upgrade kit to the F&S pro, followed by the 2017 Gen III Pro full setup with 50-1500g diamonds, 6/3/1.5 micron lapping films, and 1/0.5micron diamond emulsions on nanocloth strops.

The 200g diamonds are good enough for profiling and 600g will get you a great edge on s110v (use MINIMAL PRESSURE! The weight of the stones is enough for sharpening, and very light pressure is enough for profiling! More pressure can damage the diamonds!). The diamonds do have a break in period before preforming best while sharpening.

Adding the 800/1000g, and a set of strops will do you well for pretty much any steels (nanocloth with 1/0.5micron diamond or cbn emulsions are the best in my experience). Get a set of nanocloth strops and 1/0.5 micron emulsions for finishing the edge at least.

If you're anything like me, you'll probably end up sinking a helluva lot more money into the Wicked Edge over time, especially if you start collecting good knives.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Xander3Zero

Post by Xander3Zero »

How do the KMW/WE sharpening systems work with Spyderco's full-flat ground blades though? Both those systems use a clamp to secure the blade so I imagine it takes some finagling to get it secure? Just have to clamp on to the very back of the blade near the handle where there is still a flat portion?
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

Every time someone asks me about my WE I tell them it’s the best knife related purchase I’ve ever made. I had a very old Pro Pack 2 that I upgraded throughout the years until they no longer supported that old model. I sold it and upgraded to a commercial unit. Zero regrets.

I was just talking with someone last night about buying a WR. I suggest buying the most WE you can afford, preferably with the new clamping mechanism. If you buy a lower end model, you’re going to end up spending more than you would have buying a mid/high end WE after you factor in all of the stones/strops. The older style jaws worked for me for the better part of 6-7 years, but there’s no comparison with the new jaws. Just drop the blade in and clamp it down. No trying to get the knife square with the base and all of that.

With that being said, it’s all in what you’re used to using and what you’ve put time into learning. An old timer could probably kick most guys butts with some spit and a few Arkansas stones.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

The GO, may look like the best deal, but you'll spend a good amount of time fiddling with the clamp. The new clamp is amazing. Zero effort to get a perfectly vertical and secure clamp of any blade, regardless of FFG and distal tapers. Go with the 2017 GenIII clamp if you can.

Sharpmaker still sees the most use, but the WE is a bevel angle resetting dream. I never really connected with the Edgepro, and never tried a KME.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, tps3443:
Please remember the General Discussion area of our forum should be for discussions related to Spyderco products. I'm going to move this topic to Off-Topic for that reason.

Thanks.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I apologize :eek:
Wrong thread.