Firearms, what you like and what you don't like

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: Firearms, what you like and what you don't like

Post by Ankerson »

For me I Like:

Handguns, I lean towards 1911's and S&W 41 and 44 Magnums along with the Colt Python.

Rifles, Remington Model 700 and Winchester Model 70.

Shotguns, the Remington 870.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I found an immaculate Mauser 1914 type 7.62mm pistol in a vacant retirement bungalow I was surveying not long ago. It was obviously a war-time souvenir hidden away. I didn’t like having to carry it into a police station to hand it in, but the five year mandatory prison sentence here for an unlicensed handgun isn’t funny either. I did enjoy handling it for a while beforehand, though!
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:14 pm
For long guns I am only really into hunting guns. For short guns I am mainly only interested in revolvers and they are for hunting and protection in the woods. We have lots of bears and coyotes here. I do have a LCP for concealed carry. It is actually the only gun I own that hasn’t killed something either while either hunting or for pest control.

For home protection the goose gun or one of the revolvers should work well. I sure would hate to get hit with a 12 guage load of #2s! I have some old lead #2s from back when you could hunt waterfowl with lead that I keep in the shotgun. They are actually in there for keeping predators away from the chicken coop but if something went bump in the night I am sure it would ruin someone’s day. Kind of a moot point anyway, I have a Doberman who promised me that nobody is coming through the front door without permission. Also, I live in the middle of nowhere, you would have to be lost to even find my house. ;)
For whatever it's worth, my grandad shot a man in the face with birdshot. Stopped that man, but not exactly as my grandad wanted. Ended up a pretty gruesome situation and the man lived, though probably not how he wanted to after the situation. The other man got away and my grandad could not shoot him with birdshot enough to stop him as the man was running away.

I can say I've put down a charging 1500 lb bull with five rounds of well placed 155 grain .40. Long story short, I'd rather have a fat stacked pistol with .40 than any shotgun with anything other than 00 or slugs. And both my dogs have bites against people justifiably considered bad. These two are a handful and I'm genuinely getting tired of the liability. They're sweet to me and my family, but it makes finding any house remotely close to anyone else hard. They cost me over $1200 a month if factoring in paying for properties that accept them. But good God, I pray for the man who tries to enter my house without permission without them being put away first. Wouldn't be pretty. That's what i pay for to protect my family. In my mind it's better than ADT but ****, my dogs cost some money.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.