Nuclear Pasta!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Nuclear Pasta!

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I have discussed this here before. Neutronium. It turns out it can form "nuclear pasta shapes" that are billions of times stronger than steel.

https://preview.tinyurl.com/ycl58hzq
Crux

Re: Nuclear Pasta!

Post by Crux »

What kind of sauce would you serve on that?
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
SpyderEdgeForever

Crux wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:45 pm
What kind of sauce would you serve on that?
Quark-Gluon Chromodynamic Bolognese, ofcourse.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Now that is interesting. I wonder what a shield of this stuff would be like? Of course, if it had gravitation, I wonder how much and what effect it would have here on earth.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:25 pm
Now that is interesting. I wonder what a shield of this stuff would be like? Of course, if it had gravitation, I wonder how much and what effect it would have here on earth.
Very good observation, Doc. From what I have read in my studies on neutronium-based materials, if it was pure neutronium, once you somehow got over the intense super density-based weight matter, it would be impervious to direct nuclear blasts, and anything weaker or softer than itself. And it would not have to be ultra thick to do that. If we could ever make stable neutronium foil, even a millimeter thick, it would make you impervious to alot of things. Also, a neutronium blade would cut through the hardest stone and metal and even diamond as if it were air. It would not even be like cutting soft butter or putty.
Crux

Post by Crux »

We need one in a Para 3!
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
SpyderEdgeForever

Crux wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:35 pm
We need one in a Para 3!
YES! And also an Endura and Pacific Salt! :)

Infact, a stable neutronium Para 3 could easilly be ultra thin AND super tough at the same time.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:30 pm
Also, a neutronium blade would cut through the hardest stone and metal and even diamond as if it were air. It would not even be like cutting soft butter or putty.

I could see that ending pretty badly if it slipped from your hand and fell to the floor :D
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

Neutronium is a hypothetical substance composed purely of neutrons. However, if you're referring to neutron-degenerate matter such as is found in neutron stars, then two things - its really heavy - one teaspoon (according to NASA) would weigh 20 billion tonnes. Secondly, outside of the conditions found in a neutron star, it's unstable.
" If we take neutron star material at say a density of ∼1017
kg/m3 the neutrons have an internal kinetic energy density of 3×1032 J/m3. This is calculated by multiplying the number density of the neutrons nn by, 3p2f/10mn, the average KE per fermion in a non-relativistically degenerate gas and where pf=(3/8π)hn1/3n
is the Fermi momentum.
So even in a teaspoonful (say 5ml), there is 1.5×1027 J of kinetic energy (more than the Sun emits in a second, or a billion or so atom bombs) and this will be released instantaneously"
- from Rob Jeffries Astrophysicist at Keele University, UK
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"