How can I turn a folding knife into a fixed blade knife?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

How can I turn a folding knife into a fixed blade knife?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

This is a two part question, I welcome all answers:

1 How can we take a friction folder or a slip joint folder that is made with no lock mechanism, and turn it temporarilly into a safer fixed like blade? Are there people who make or who can make a strong steel sleeve-like attachment that can slid over the knife and lock in place where the joint or rivet point is, so the knife will not be able to close on your fingers when in use?

2 What would be needed if one wanted to take a folding knife and permanently turn it into a fixed blade? Would the folding mechanism have to be welded closed?
Crux

Re: How can I turn a folding knife into a fixed blade knife?

Post by Crux »

Super Glue
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:30 am
... Would the folding mechanism have to be welded closed?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Solder would be more temporary and possibly reversible though not as strong as welding.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
SpyderEdgeForever

Thanks. And what about the idea of a specially-made hardened steel sleeve of some sort that can fit over a folder and then be locked into place, preventing the blade from closing on the users' fingers? What are your opinions of such a device? Does anyone know any who make or can make that?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Nothing would ever make it as strong as a fixed blade that was never a folder. I think I'd try something like JB Weld and fill in the entire handle and pivot and lock with it. I've done some crazy "last resort" repairs on car parts with that stuff and it held up really well. It really depends on what you plan to do with the knife once it's done. If you're planning on batoning the **** out of it then even welding can and probably will break, and that's besides the fact that it'll ruin your heat treat.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

1) Opinel knives have a ring which rotates around the knife and keeps the blade from closing but isn’t a lock in my opinion so you could retrofit something like that to an existing knife.
2) Remove blade from existing knife handle liners etc. Cut a slot in bar stock and weld, then pin blade into one end of bar stock. Fit slabs if needed.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

kodai78 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:10 am
1) Opinel knives have a ring which rotates around the knife and keeps the blade from closing but isn’t a lock in my opinion so you could retrofit something like that to an existing knife.

A zip tie could serve as an improvised ring on a slip joint, if the handle shape permits.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
M4Life

Post by M4Life »

At some point wouldn't it just be easier to get a locking or fixed blade knife?
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
SpyderEdgeForever

Yes, it would be easier to get a fixed blade or lock blade. But what I wanted to do was to take a Japanese Higonokami folder, which most if not all of you are familiar with, and somehow attach an Opinel-style lock onto it, so the blade cannot close on my fingers under hard use. And I wanted to expand this idea to other slip joint and friction folders, like the Svord.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:07 pm
Yes, it would be easier to get a fixed blade or lock blade. But what I wanted to do was to take a Japanese Higonokami folder, which most if not all of you are familiar with, and somehow attach an Opinel-style lock onto it, so the blade cannot close on my fingers under hard use. And I wanted to expand this idea to other slip joint and friction folders, like the Svord.
It wouldn't look pretty, but you could put a steel hose clamp around the base of the blade. This is similar to Deacon's suggestion but might be a bit more secure.

Or fabricate your own ring lock out of some thin sheet steel. That would take more work and expertise though.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've heard of people taking Douk Douks https://www.knifecenter.com/item/DD815/ ... ack-folder and taking pliers or a vice and squeezing their handles after opening to crush the steel handles which essentially turns it into a sort of fixed blade. Of course it will never close after that but it works.

Joe