Buck Slim Pro 110 and 112

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Buck Slim Pro 110 and 112

Post by Doc Dan »

Have you folks been aware of the new Buck 110 and 112 Slim Pro knives that are about to be released? They all have S30V, thumb studs, pocket clip, and are super slim. They come in green or brown canvas Micarta or black G10. They look very nice in the pictures. You can go to your favorite retailer and type Buck Slim Pro in the search box and they will come up.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Re: Buck Slim Pro 110 and 112

Post by TomAiello »

They have also released an automatic (and an automatic in s30v) version.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Sounds good guys.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I want it but I won't buy it becuase its pinned. I have jothing against pinned construction and own many, but I haven't owned a Buck that didn't have stupid blade play. Even my DLT exclusive 110 has stupid side to side blade play. I hate spending money on a knife that has that play that I can't adujust out.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Sounds cool... personally, though, I prefer the thicker built, heft, and macassar ebony scales of my Buck 110 Folding Hunter.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I’m quite aware. Love Buck 110 and 112. Waiting impatiently for these and mostly for the 112 LT.
- best wishes, Jazz.
vivi

Post by vivi »

****. I'd consider test driving one as an EDC if they moved the lock release to a position that facilitates one handed closing. Might still grab one of the FRN ones....3.75" blade and 2.8oz weight are my kind of numbers.
:unicorn
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

For me, lockback + micarta = must have
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

So cool! Why have the lt and slim as two models, though?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

They are the same line, but the Pro has Micarta or G10 with S30V, the standard slim has FRN and 420HC.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Vivi, Doc, and everyone: Yes and Buck has the FRN handled 110 and I read that they are about to release a FRN handled version of the Buck 112 Ranger.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, Buck has many new light weight models. Two interesting Buck light weights are the 110 drop point Smoke Jumper (red) and Shield (blue) with CPM-154 steel by SKBlades.com .

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

They've come really close to reeling me in for another 110 lately, possibly an auto but man I really don't like the traditional BACK back lock. They need to update their design to a mid lock like Spyderco uses and then I'd probably get another one if it also had a clip.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

That Smoke Jumper is a great lightweight Buck 110 style knife. Buck always comes with a great edge and their heat treat on S30V and CPM 154 makes for a very good performing knife. I like the CPM 154 from them in particular but they heat treat every steel exceptionally well. Edge wise it can hang with Spyderco's best but Buck does not come close ergonomics wise. It's pretty special for the price though. They sell out pretty quickly so it's not wise to wait around on them.

Joe
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Related question: Do you think as far as sales go, it would be good for Buck to expand this idea of updating the knives, and release a whole line of their traditional fixed blades, such as the Skinner, General, etc, with that FRN or nylon based handle material, and perhaps new steel, or, that would be too big an endeavor for them to bother with? Would you get one of those, a fixed blade Buck with FRN grip and a new type of steel, like perhaps S30V?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Related question: Do you think as far as sales go, it would be good for Buck to expand this idea of updating the knives, and release a whole line of their traditional fixed blades, such as the Skinner, General, etc, with that FRN or nylon based handle material, and perhaps new steel, or, that would be too big an endeavor for them to bother with? Would you get one of those, a fixed blade Buck with FRN grip and a new type of steel, like perhaps S30V?
They are beginning to do some of this kind of stuff mostly through special offerings from places like Copper and Clad and SK Blades. Every one I've encountered is well built and well heat treated and finished. They recently came out with an auto, a new more modern design with a new lock and have revisited the lightweight lines. We'll see how this works in the future. Much of their customer base is very traditional but they do seem to have the desire to move into the newer generations of customers one step at a time while still catering to the loyal base. The foray into the inexpensive China made knives never worked well but it didn't sink them either. They are looking in new directions now.

Joe
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

How is the f&f on the sk knives smoke jumper? The 112 slim select I've handled looks pretty crude, with an unnecessarily bulky clip and an unintentional recurve from the factory sharpening

Also, just noticed that the rival series exists - more modern design with a midlock lockback
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:27 pm
How is the f&f on the sk knives smoke jumper? The 112 slim select I've handled looks pretty crude, with an unnecessarily bulky clip and an unintentional recurve from the factory sharpening

Also, just noticed that the rival series exists - more modern design with a midlock lockback
The 112 was designed with a recurve.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Really? The 110 too? Never noticed that. I just assumed it was sloppy grinds
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

My 110s are great. The grind on my brass 110 has the best one, the 110LT is OK but I had to sharpen it, and the slim select was sharp but I made it better. The tip is a little rounded but it will fix itself. Seems like the blades in the slims is a little shorter, no idea why, but it's still plenty.

I've been pleased with the knives considering they were 20, 30, and 35 dollars and have lifetime warranties.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela