Plank Challenge

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Plank Challenge

Post by Doc Dan »

I have just discovered the plank challenge. I had forgotten all about this simple exercise. I had to do this on the wrestling team and in jump school. It was torment then, and now that I have rediscovered it, I have felt muscles I did not remember having. I have done it for three days and am only up to 25 seconds, but Sanctified Bovine! this is hard! It is difficult to believe that a zero impact exercise can be this much of a workout. However, I can feel that the muscles in my core are tighter. I feel the effect more than doing crunches and pilates. It has only been 3 days, I will let you know how it goes.

Have any of you tried this?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Liquid Cobra

Re: Plank Challenge

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Doc Dan wrote:I have just discovered the plank challenge. I had forgotten all about this simple exercise. I had to do this on the wrestling team and in jump school. It was torment then, and now that I have rediscovered it, I have felt muscles I did not remember having. I have done it for three days and am only up to 25 seconds, but Sanctified Bovine! this is hard! It is difficult to believe that a zero impact exercise can be this much of a workout. However, I can feel that the muscles in my core are tighter. I feel the effect more than doing crunches and pilates. It has only been 3 days, I will let you know how it goes.

Funny I started doing a simple routine at home after work that includes doing a plank at the end. I've only done it three days so far. I try to increase the time I hold the plank each day. First day was for 60 seconds, then 70 and now 80.

You're right, it's such a simple but effective exercise. I hope I keep at it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

It is much harder than pushups, sit-ups, weight lifting, jogging, etc. It works out whole muscle groups from shoulders, arms, torso, and legs, all at the same time. There are a lot of charts on the internet, usually starting with 20 seconds and by day 30 up to 5 minutes. Some are up to less in 30 days, but you get the idea.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I got up to 2 minutes for the first one. Definitely less for following ones. I love it. Been working abs hard. Gets easier quite quickly.
- best wishes, Jazz.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Planks are the value folders of exercises...a lot of bang for your buck lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I read where it is not good for many people to do very long planks as it can inflame the cartilage in your breastbone and ribs from strain. A couple of minutes planking is an eternity, anyway.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
paladin

Post by paladin »

I can hold a plank for an hour or two and that's a 2 x 12...if yer talkin 2 x 4's I can probably hold it all day...But one question: does it break the challenge rules if I sit down while I'm holding the board?
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

You are obviously doing better than I am!

Seriously, you should try this exercise. I took a break today, but will be back at it in the morning. I can already feel my abs screaming.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
npad69

Post by npad69 »

I do 60 to 70 pushups as part of my warm up calisthenics before i go out on a run, tried the plank and i guess i can do 90-120 secs maybe because im used to the push-ups. I guess i can start implementing it in my after running low impact exercises and stretching
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Thanks Doc. 2 mins on the first try. Will try again tomorrow :)
Chris :spyder:
Tims

Post by Tims »

The humble plank is the foundation of just about every movement you’ll ever do in the gym. Kinda sucks as a challenge exercise though because it’s so easy to cheat and just hang out down there. If you’re doing an honest, maximum contraction plank you should be shaking like a leaf after 40 seconds. If you make it that far.
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:32 am
I have just discovered the plank challenge. I had forgotten all about this simple exercise. I had to do this on the wrestling team and in jump school. It was torment then, and now that I have rediscovered it, I have felt muscles I did not remember having. I have done it for three days and am only up to 25 seconds, but Sanctified Bovine! this is hard! It is difficult to believe that a zero impact exercise can be this much of a workout. However, I can feel that the muscles in my core are tighter. I feel the effect more than doing crunches and pilates. It has only been 3 days, I will let you know how it goes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doc, this is the first I've ever read or heard regarding Planking. Read the whole thread, it's hard though for me to visualize thus far, but at least was able to try to grasp the concept overall. However, now I have more questions at this point regarding applications, specific utilization and the mechanics overall of Planking. Link, anyone? I'll try google in the mean time.

Thanks!!
:spyder: :spyder: SB / BRUCE :cool: :cool:
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Chris :spyder:
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

We always called it the TV watching position.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I held one for about five minutes then got bored.

I do a lot of weighted L hangs and leg lifts from my pull-up bar though, so my core is pretty conditioned.

Ab wheels are pretty nice too.
:unicorn
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Can this exercise harm someone if not done correctly?
Tims

Post by Tims »

[quote=SpyderEdgeForever post_id=1294079 time=1546115972 user_id=20750]
Can this exercise harm someone if not done correctly?
[/quote]

Yep, any exercise or movement can be harmful if done incorrectly.

In the case of a plank, you want a neutral spine position to protect your spine.

A few ques that might help achieve a safe and effective position
- hips tucked. Fire your glutes. This will prevent anterior pelvic tilt and put your lumbar spine in a safe pisition.

- ribs down. Fire abs and lats. This will ensure a neutral thoracic spinal position.

-breath deeply into your diaphram, hold it and push your abs out. Imagine If you were wearing a belt you would be pushing your abs out against the belt.

- keep your head neutral. Don’t let your head sag down or overly extend it up.

The idea of a plank is to fire everything HARD. You can get into a plank position and just hang out there for minutes but that won’t do much for strengthening. The idea is to aim for maximum contraction EVERYWHERE. This will get you the results you want and i guarantee you wont be holding it for minutes.

Try these mental ques and feel the difference.

Get into the plank position and visualise having to stay there for as long as possible, like your life depends on it.

Then, get into position and visualise you are about to have a cannonball shot at your stomach. Concentrate on tensing every muscle in your body as hard as you possibly can.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Good post.

I can do a plank for up to about 2 minutes, but that's about the longest. I've wondered how someone can hold it for HOURS, like some do in those news stories. I do other exercises as well as martial arts. Earlier this year I had hernia surgery, and I had to stop doing ab (and other) exercises for awhile. So I've been slowly building myself back up.

Jim
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

SkullBouncer wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:14 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:32 am

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doc, this is the first I've ever read or heard regarding Planking. Read the whole thread, it's hard though for me to visualize thus far, but at least was able to try to grasp the concept overall. However, now I have more questions at this point regarding applications, specific utilization and the mechanics overall of Planking. Link, anyone? I'll try google in the mean time.

Thanks!!
:spyder: :spyder: SB / BRUCE :cool: :cool:
The Military used to make us do planks for a good while, but they called them the "leaning rest". They were tough to do but we had strong cores.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

When I saw this thread Bloke immediately came to mind. :D