What "Other" is in your pocket???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
abbazaba

Re: What "Other" is in your pocket???

Post by abbazaba »

Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Carried This little guy today,, like the bladeshape..
1542467942477355.jpg
Attachments
1542467942477355.jpg
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

abbazaba wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:36 pm
I like that Keen! Very clean/elegant design. I've been considering picking one of these up. I'd love to hear what you think of it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:12 am
abbazaba wrote:
I like that Keen! Very clean/elegant design. I've been considering picking one of these up. I'd love to hear what you think of it.
I've taken delivery of nearly all of the Massdrop We knives and this is the first one to go right in the pocket without hesitation. I love all of the Kizer Laconico collaborations, and this one is just as good.

Flipping geometry is incredible. Blade is robust but pretty slicy, with an almost leaf shape. Shaving sharp out of the box, and it sounds/feels surprisingly thin behind the edge. The detent ball is very close to the lock engagement, which is nice.

The backspacer seems a little weighty but it feels appropriately solid in hand. I too wish the Massdropping of logos on blades didn't exist or was at least more subtle. I'm not into machined clips, but the length and thinness makes it work well so far.

The finish on the bronze I received is borderline memorizing. Great job overall, and a proper execution IMO.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TALON52 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:12 pm
I couldn't help myself.(again) Medford "Slim MIDI Marauder" S35VN with Custom Scales. Born OCT. 11, 2018

Wow. That's very neat!
TALON52

Post by TALON52 »

Thanks Paul!
USMC Disabled Veteran 69/73 Semper Fi
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

abbazaba wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:17 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:12 am
abbazaba wrote:
I've taken delivery of nearly all of the Massdrop We knives and this is the first one to go right in the pocket without hesitation. I love all of the Kizer Laconico collaborations, and this one is just as good.

Flipping geometry is incredible. Blade is robust but pretty slicy, with an almost leaf shape. Shaving sharp out of the box, and it sounds/feels surprisingly thin behind the edge. The detent ball is very close to the lock engagement, which is nice.

The backspacer seems a little weighty but it feels appropriately solid in hand. I too wish the Massdropping of logos on blades didn't exist or was at least more subtle. I'm not into machined clips, but the length and thinness makes it work well so far.

The finish on the bronze I received is borderline memorizing. Great job overall, and a proper execution IMO.
Thanks for this. I've been thinking about ordering a Crux but I think the Keen would be a better choice for me.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Kershaw Natrix Cu. So far so good. I think it's a nice little knife considering the price. Looking forward to seeing how the copper patinas over time.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:58 am

Kershaw Natrix Cu. So far so good. I think it's a nice little knife considering the price. Looking forward to seeing how the copper patinas over time.
That's really nice.
TALON52

Post by TALON52 »

USMC Disabled Veteran 69/73 Semper Fi
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

abbazaba wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:39 pm
Sweeeeeet!!!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Great Eastern Cutlery #781217 American Jack with Cocobolo handles.

Feels good. Cuts good. An historical trip.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
vivi

Post by vivi »

That looks beautiful. The fit and finish seems perfect as far as I can tell from your photos.

I plan to order my first GEC soon. I'll share photos once I do.
:unicorn
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:03 pm
That looks beautiful. The fit and finish seems perfect as far as I can tell from your photos.

Coming from someone who has about 25, I strongly recommend the Bullnose Sodbuster in micarta (GP Knives still has some in stock), the American Jack like Michael has, or the Bull Moose.

GP Knives is my favorite place to buy from but KnivesShipFree gives you a free and very nice pocket slip with the purchase of any GEC.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:14 am
Vivi wrote:

Coming from someone who has about 25, I strongly recommend the Bullnose Sodbuster in micarta (GP Knives still has some in stock), the American Jack like Michael has, or the Bull Moose.

GP Knives is my favorite place to buy from but KnivesShipFree gives you a free and very nice pocket slip with the purchase of any GEC.
GEC is the Spyderco of the current American made classic slip joints as far as fit and finish. Excellent considering the approximately 200 hand operations needed to produce a finished knife. I like the #14 and #56 patterns too. Look at GEC’s site for a list of retailers. you many have to check a number of them before you find what you want, and perhaps you won’t right away. When the #58 rotten banana bone jack was released a few days ago they were gone in minutes from the most popular retailers. Before they were even shipped you could find them on ebay for double (and more) the retail price.

i have found a couple of patterns with blades and handle materials i wanted at reasonable prices by googling GEC retailers.

Post some photos.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

That is a beautiful knife Michael. From your photos it does look like a superb job of fit and finish, much better than on any of my old Case pocket knives.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:27 am
knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:14 am
Vivi wrote:

GEC is the Spyderco of the current American made classic slip joints as far as fit and finish. Excellent considering the approximately 200 hand operations needed to produce a finished knife. I like the #14 and #56 patterns too. Look at GEC’s site for a list of retailers. you many have to check a number of them before you find what you want, and perhaps you won’t right away. When the #58 rotten banana bone jack was released a few days ago they were gone in minutes from the most popular retailers. Before they were even shipped you could find them on ebay for double (and more) the retail price.

i have found a couple of patterns with blades and handle materials i wanted at reasonable prices by googling GEC retailers.

Post some photos.
Hey, Michael, I'll try and post some photos once I get into town again tomorrow.
You are right though, they sell out quick and you may have to search around at different dealers.
I was too slow at getting the recent #99 Wall Street. It was in 440c and a mid-lock back. They sold out way too fast for me to get one.
I'm a little jealous of the American Jack you got. I wanted that one. I have a 2 bladed one in Gabon Ebony, a 2 bladed in a chestnut bone, and a single blade in smooth white bone. It is a wonderful pattern with a really nice strong pull.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!