What Are You Reading ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Enkidude

Re: What Are You Reading ?

Post by Enkidude »

The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness by Erich Fromm.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

At The Mountains Of Madness- HP Lovecraft. :)

A blast from my teens.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I decided I could use some extra comedy in my life, so I'm about to start Dad is Fat by Jim Gaffigan.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I have started the Foundation Trilogy and love it! I finished the first of the series and am a few chapters into the second.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

return to Bull Run by Hennessey. Campaign and battle, Second Manassas.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
JT

Post by JT »

Hunting the hard way, by Howard Hill.
palonej

Post by palonej »

Daniel Silva....The Fallen Angel.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

No Place To Hide
By
W. Lee Warren, M.D.

This is one of the best and most gripping books I have ever read by the Neurosurgeon who just performed spinal surgery on me last Thursday., ... He is a retired USAF Major and the book is based on the experiences of a battlefield Brain Surgeon
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Mistress by James Patterson.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Enkidude wrote:The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness by Erich Fromm.
I'm also fond of Fromm. Escape from Freedom is one of his best books : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_from_Freedom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a recent biography written by Lawrence Friedman : http://cup.columbia.edu/book/the-lives- ... 0231162586" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

I am in my truck a lot minimum 2 hours a day but more often then not 3 to 4. With 2 young kids and a business to run I don't have time to sit and read books so I do audio books on Audible in my truck. Since 2011 I have listened to 230 tiles or 22 days straight or 528 hours. Some of my favorites are Patrick O'Brian Master and Commander series, Vince Flynn,almost anything by Bernard Cornwell, Craig Johnson, H. Rider Haggard, S.M. Sterling, and many many more. But my all time favorite Andy Weir The Martian.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Right now I'm at the last book of Julian May's Saga of Pliocene Exile....
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Mic1 wrote:I am in my truck a lot minimum 2 hours a day but more often then not 3 to 4. With 2 young kids and a business to run I don't have time to sit and read books so I do audio books on Audible in my truck. Since 2011 I have listened to 230 tiles or 22 days straight or 528 hours. Some of my favorites are Patrick O'Brian Master and Commander series, Vince Flynn,almost anything by Bernard Cornwell, Craig Johnson, H. Rider Haggard, S.M. Sterling, and many many more. But my all time favorite Andy Weir The Martian.
That's a lot of listening! Audiobooks are a godsend if you have a commute. When I used to commute to work, I'd listen to audiobooks and look forward to the drive home instead of dreading it. Sometimes I'd even sit in the car for a little while when I got home to finish a good part.

Right now I'm reading Antifragile by Nassim Taleb at the recommendation of a member here. I enjoyed his Black Swan book thoroughly, and Antifragile builds and expands on those concepts. I'd love to hang out with Taleb for an afternoon.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

tvenuto wrote:
Mic1 wrote:I am in my truck a lot minimum 2 hours a day but more often then not 3 to 4. With 2 young kids and a business to run I don't have time to sit and read books so I do audio books on Audible in my truck. Since 2011 I have listened to 230 tiles or 22 days straight or 528 hours. Some of my favorites are Patrick O'Brian Master and Commander series, Vince Flynn,almost anything by Bernard Cornwell, Craig Johnson, H. Rider Haggard, S.M. Sterling, and many many more. But my all time favorite Andy Weir The Martian.
That's a lot of listening! Audiobooks are a godsend if you have a commute. When I used to commute to work, I'd listen to audiobooks and look forward to the drive home instead of dreading it. Sometimes I'd even sit in the car for a little while when I got home to finish a good part.

Right now I'm reading Antifragile by Nassim Taleb at the recommendation of a member here. I enjoyed his Black Swan book thoroughly, and Antifragile builds and expands on those concepts. I'd love to hang out with Taleb for an afternoon.
True. My wife really liked the audio books.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Mic1 wrote:But my all time favorite Andy Weir The Martian.
I loved that book! Hopefully the upcoming movie adaptation does the book justice.

Right now I'm reading The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu, China's best selling science fiction author. While I've just started it, I'm finding it interesting reading about fictional Chinese government and politics, but written by an author who lives under the control of the real Chinese government.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

jabba359 wrote:
Mic1 wrote:But my all time favorite Andy Weir The Martian.
I loved that book! Hopefully the upcoming movie adaptation does the book justice.

Me too I hope they don't butcher it. I have listened to it two times now and everyone I have recommended it has also really liked it.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

HorserloverFat wrote:
Enkidude wrote:The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness by Erich Fromm.
I'm also fond of Fromm. Escape from Freedom is one of his best books : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_from_Freedom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a recent biography written by Lawrence Friedman : http://cup.columbia.edu/book/the-lives- ... 0231162586" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Escape From Freedom was the first book I read by Fromm. My favorite by him is Psychoanalysis and Religion. It's a small book, but carries some heavy intellectual/spiritual weight. I'll have to look into the biography. Thank you for sharing.
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

Just about finished Lee Childs Never Go Back. That completes all of the books in the Jack Reacher series so now im ready for the latest one that will be released sometime this month. I still dont understand how Tom Cruise got to play big ruthless scarred Jack in the movies though.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

My cousin just gave me "Thirteen Moons" to reas by Charles Frazier.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

gingerninja wrote:I still dont understand how Tom Cruise got to play big ruthless scarred Jack in the movies though.
Tom Cruise = ticket sales.

This is a bit off topic, but I just watched a cool documentary on Netflix called "Casting By" which was about a woman named Marion Daugherty who revolutionized the job of casting director. The big studios used to have actors on contract, so when a script came in they just selected from whoever they had on contract that "looked the part." Once the landscape changed, and TV acting became more of a thing, there was a huge pool of stage actors (who could actually act) looking to get into TV and movies. This lady made it her job to meet them and have a strong hand in suggesting them to movie directors. She had a hand in giving many incredible actors their start, or putting them in roles that made them famous. At the end of the documentary, they lament how things seem to have come full-circle. Big corporate studios choose actors on name recognition and the ability to put butts in seats, not willing to risk their summer blockbuster on an unknown actor.