Tactical Pens, Who All Has Them, and What Do You Like?????

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Marion David Poff
Banned

Tactical Pens, Who All Has Them, and What Do You Like?????

Post by Marion David Poff »

Howdy,

My brother is contemplating buying one of those tactical pens, and I thought I would do some research, and see what you all think of the type and the available models.

I have the BM Pen, the first one, and I quite like it. He is thinking of buying one of those.

I like the look of the Mil-Tac and Surefire models, does anyone have them?

Thanks
Marion David Poff
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

I've got a grey baliyo -- it totally rocks! Had a couple issues with the screw loosening and falling out, and was skeptical of the "plastic"... but I fixed the problem, and have grown to love this little pen!

I used to use a fisher bullet in Zambia. It did pretty well, for the most part. It's recently come to my attention that they make a fisher space pen inside of a .375 H&H dummy bullet... might have to get one of them.

I'd love a Spyderco spyderbug pen. The other "bug pen" I've seen out there looks nice enough... but I'm just not in love with butterflies.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

I have a Baliyo, but I wouldn't call myself a tactical pen fan. I'm a fountain pen guy myself. Another expensive hobby :rolleyes:
Feeding the addiction

Proud member of The Cult of the Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.

Post by 224477 »

I have a couple of these.

Most of them are really low profile stuff, not marketed and sold as tac pens, but with SAME capabilities.

Aside of those I have a couple of Balmain Erqui`s which is basically a Fred Perrin`s pen in civilian clothes and dark grey Schrade, which I recommend due the great value in terms of price/performance.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Just a quick note, if anybody wants one but find them too expensive, schrade and s&w now have one out for $25.
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

slice22358 wrote: I'm a fountain pen guy myself. Another expensive hobby :rolleyes:
You're not kidding there! I started working on improving my disasterous penmanship a few years ago and was astounded at the $ being exchanged for antique copperplate nibs ! :eek:
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

I think Mr. Blonde has at least one Surefire tactical pen. You can see it featured in his amazing photos here in his forum photo threads. Actually, his shots have got me hankering for one, but I keep putting it off. Same with the Baliyo. Too many great Spyderco knives to get first. And then there's the flashlights. :)
ousanas

Post by ousanas »

original BM pen, great pen, and doubles as a stylus. Baliyo TONS of fun. Surefire Pen II (the clicky one) awesome awesome pen!!
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

Clawhammer wrote:You're not kidding there! I started working on improving my disasterous penmanship a few years ago and was astounded at the $ being exchanged for antique copperplate nibs ! :eek:
Copperplate takes a lot of skill to do from what I've seen, and tried :o
To me, fountain pens just are so much more personal than the throw away ball points so common today. Plus they write some much nicer :D
Feeding the addiction

Proud member of The Cult of the Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

I have 2 Baliyos, that are great for playing with, when there isnt anything happening at work
and a EDCF Tuffwriter gets carried nearly every day
takes a fisher space pen refill, and is solid as.

I also have a fisher bullet in my wallet
power is nothing without control
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'm very happy with the Surefire pens, they are made well and write really nicely. As a bonus -to me- they don't scream 'tactical'. the Surefire Pen II in blue is really nice in real life, that clicky button is very smooth and solid.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

LOL, c'mon Wouter - we need pictorial evidence ;) :p
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Give me a few days.... ;)

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
duff72

Post by duff72 »

not a tac pen but the zebra 701 is all stainless and is about $7 at walmart it is built like a tank-budget tac
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Tuff-writer makes some excellent pens! I have a full-size black sanitized version without any markings and one executive. No noggin will break it. It will not break after repeated strikes to hard objects and it happens to write well too.

One more thing. I have really been looking for a full size longer than normal. The TW is about 6.5 inches. You will not appreciate one until you fist one of these......I mean write! :D

Great company to deal with also. Take care all and God Bless.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

stonyman wrote:Tuff-writer makes some excellent pens! I have a full-size black sanitized version without any markings and one executive. No noggin will break it. It will not break after repeated strikes to hard objects and it happens to write well too.

One more thing. I have really been looking for a full size longer than normal. The TW is about 6.5 inches. You will not appreciate one until you fist one of these......I mean write! :D

Great company to deal with also. Take care all and God Bless.
Stonyman...Will it go thru coconuts.....LOL....Doc :p
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Stonyman...Will it go thru coconuts.....LOL....Doc :p
with a hammer - more than likely

that EDCF pen i have a photo of ^^^^ was made by tuffwriter, as a run of 30, normally they are knurled not ribbed.

im have seen photos of one being driven through a piece of timber with a hammer, im not sure of the size of the timber, but i think it was around an inch thick
power is nothing without control
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Echo63 wrote:with a hammer - more than likely

that EDCF pen i have a photo of ^^^^ was made by tuffwriter, as a run of 30, normally they are knurled not ribbed.

im have seen photos of one being driven through a piece of timber with a hammer, im not sure of the size of the timber, but i think it was around an inch thick
ah remind me to start carrying a hammer! :p ...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Noble

Post by Noble »

I dont think I am aware of the tactical pen concept. Would anyone care to enlighten me?
The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of meeting deadlines is forgotten.

My Dream Knife: Paramilitary with FFG H1. GITD G10.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

Noble wrote:I dont think I am aware of the tactical pen concept. Would anyone care to enlighten me?
me too.

also is the baliyo a toy or somekind defense pen ? or both ?

is the tactical pen used as a weapon if needed ?