Tactical Pens, Who All Has Them, and What Do You Like?????

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Marion David Poff
Banned

Post by Marion David Poff »

Well, the concept is that of a pen that is capable to be used as a self-defense device.

There have been pens in the past that were capable of doing this, but were not manufactured or marketed as such.

Some used big Sharpie markers, which is where CS got the concept for the Sharkie.

Then, some custom knife-makers started making pens self-defense capable, and production knife companies followed suit....

BM http://www.benchmade.com/products/produ ... ategory=52

Timberline http://www.gatcosharpeners.com/product/ ... 8988C60987

Mil-Tac http://store.mil-tac.com/index.asp?Page ... D&ProdID=3

Surefire http://www.surefire.com/Pen

And there are probably others.

Marion
Marion David Poff
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

The tactical in this type of pen should be left out, just like the same word that describe certain knives. They are heavy duty pens that can help you out when superior tools are not readily available. They are not magic wands, but with adequate empty hand skills it can give an increase force multiplier.Of course a cheap pen can be pressed into this role, but may break in some fashion if you do have to use as a weapon.

I am guilty of thinking everyone in the world trains and are students of interpersonal conflict. :o Please do not take these pens or any tool out of context. They are only as good as their operator. Take care and God Bless!
Marion David Poff
Banned

Post by Marion David Poff »

stonyman wrote:The tactical in this type of pen should be left out, just like the same word that describe certain knives. They are heavy duty pens that can help you out when superior tools are not readily available. They are not magic wands, but with adequate empty hand skills it can give an increase force multiplier.Of course a cheap pen can be pressed into this role, but may break in some fashion if you do have to use as a weapon.

I am guilty of thinking everyone in the world trains and are students of interpersonal conflict. :o Please do not take these pens or any tool out of context. They are only as good as their operator. Take care and God Bless!
I agree.

Myself, I use my pen as a pen, and like it for it's sturdiness, not any quality of tactical-ness. And the chances are I will never use it for self-defense, if I can keep my head on my shoulders, the chimp on the pony, so to speak.

But, while I understand where you are coming from, as a purist, with the word 'tactical', I think that we all have to understand that the word is here to stay.

Marion
Marion David Poff
prime77

Post by prime77 »

I have the Surefire Pen and a Schrade Tactical pen. I recommend both of them. For the price the Schrade pen can't be beat. I like the SF pen more for the fact that it can be adjusted internally to take any size refill and the need to take the cap off to use it. I like it's twisty action.

duff72

Post by duff72 »

RIOT wrote:me too.

also is the baliyo a toy or somekind defense pen ? or both ?

is the tactical pen used as a weapon if needed ?
baliyo is a toy -the tactical pen is more of a last ditch thing imho but it is also something that you can carry almost anywhere because it is just a pen but is also study enough to use as a dangerous pointy object if needed (or like a kuboton for putting pressure on joints and the like)
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
Ribz

Post by Ribz »

Once i saw the Surefire EWP-01 in person there is no other Tac pen i want.
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

I keep wanting to like the surefire pen, but the space between the top and bottom of the piece irks me.:mad :D
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The word 'tactical' in pens (and knives) is what SUVs are too cars. I look at them more like 'sport utility pens', cool gadgets that can do more than regular pens, but not necessarily meant to be 'serious' self defense items. For serious self defense I'd go with something a bit more animous, cheaper and easily ditched after the dirty deed. I'm positive a name brand but generic pen with a plastic body holds up just fine for some 'let go of me' strikes. BTW, the closed baliyo makes for a fine palm stick IMO. It's solid, pointy enough and it even comes with a guard. It's not nearly as versatile in this role as a regular pen or stick - those arms keep unhinging at every attempt at a grip change. :)

My latest 'precious'

I'll include a few more shots with my other pens in my picture thread later on today.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Fort Worth Bill

Post by Fort Worth Bill »

You might want to check out the KZ Executive Defense Pen. It's kind of pricey at $89.95. It's a screw-cap pen (opened and closed) but it has a glass breaker on the end of the cap. I have black one & carry it more than my Surefire Pen and SureFire Pen II. Yeah, it does scream "tactical pen" because of its pointed end (it's more pointed than the S&W and Schrade pens). It also has a very sturdy clip that can easily accomodate denim material. I was thinking of getting a Benchmade 1150 series pen. Has anyong bought one of those with the carbide tip? Is it worth the extra $10?
christopher

Post by christopher »

I use a Cross pen. No chance of it being taken by TSA, it's engraved with my name and has a company logo. A little skinny, but I can put my index finger over the end of it and I can hold it. (If it sounds like I've practiced a little, its just a rumor, in case any one asks.)
Chris

Post by Spyderknife »

I have the BM and very happy with it.
Never sell my :spyder: knives.
“Whether you think you can or think you can't you're right.” Henry Ford
burningpit

Post by burningpit »

I have used an 1100 series Benchmade pen for the last two years and absolutely love it. I used to have a terrible habit of losing pens but the bulk of the BM pen makes it very had to lose. It writes great and since it uses Fisher Space Pen refills it is very inexpensive to maintain. Working in the insurance industry, I come in contact with people from all walks of life and have gotten nothing but complements on it. I used to spend quite a bit of time at the local court houses as well and the law enforcement and security personel I ran into never had an issue with the pen. It is sedate enough so that you don't get hassled by the man but still very capable in a self defense or rescue situation. :D
:spyder: Collector Club #092 :spyder:
asfaltpiloot

Post by asfaltpiloot »

I have the S&W Tactical Pen.
Good quality, writes good.
Also makes a great stylus :D
http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-SWPE ... B002CQZNQG
Robert

"Never leave home without a knife,
one day it may save a life"
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

I have a black S&W and my wife has a pink one.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

The BaliYo is a high-quality pen that is also a toy. For balisong (butterfly knife) fans who live in areas where those knives are prohibited--or who want to practice their skills anywhere-the BaliYo allows you to do all the same tricks without the stigma of having a weapon.
That's the basic idea; however, please remember that jabbing someone with a pen is not a guaranteed stop to an attack. The less capable your weapon, the more you must "back it up" with other skills. Unfortunately, tactical pens have a significant placebo effect. Many people who carry them feel that they're "armed," yet have never actually thought through their tactics for employing the pen, let alone practiced them diligently.

Like any other weapon, you must develop the skills to use it effectively.

Finally, plus one on the Tuff-Writer pens. Great products!

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
2cha

Post by 2cha »

The first I ever saw were the Rick Hinderer models. $$ but very adaptable. Milled Ti and modular so that dif. lengths, points and etc can be created by the owner. So far as I can tell, he started the ball rolling (he he, roller ball,.. he he) and then the larger companies got the idea. I've fondled the hinderer pens/kubatons but haven't pushed the button yet--too many knives I need/want first.
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

Michael Janich wrote: That's the basic idea; however, please remember that jabbing someone with a pen is not a guaranteed stop to an attack. The less capable your weapon, the more you must "back it up" with other skills. Unfortunately, tactical pens have a significant placebo effect. Many people who carry them feel that they're "armed," yet have never actually thought through their tactics for employing the pen, let alone practiced them diligently.

Like any other weapon, you must develop the skills to use it effectively.

Finally, plus one on the Tuff-Writer pens. Great products!

Stay safe,

Mike
So will there be Martial Pen Concepts in the future? :D (I'm only half kidding)
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

JT

Post by JT »

Here's some of mine:

Surefire and Zebra F-701 are the ones I carry the most. SF is always with me@ work.

+1 on on the skills aspect. I'm not trained with these things, but I have a heavy bag, I put one of my old bulletproof vests over it (free tip for everyone :D ) , so I can hammer it with the kubotans, pens, telescopic baton, flashlights etc.. an let me tell you, if you hit hard with a pen or kubotan, and if you hit "the wrong way"; too loose of a grip, wrong angle on the wrist, you will hurt you hand. Of course it's wise to practise without full power, testing and training the accuracy. But as a grande finale of the practise sessions, I just pound the bag with 100% force. Just like I would on a real SD situation, hit hard,with anger, hit 'til they drop, and run.

and sign me up for martial pen concepts too :D
I bet that some of the MBC movements could be used with the kubotans/pens.
I'm still waiting for the mailman to get mine. int. shipping is a pita..
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

I got to thinking that Martial Pen Concepts would probably be something like the 'Forever Armed' vid + the new MBC vid (and some kubotan stuff). I could be wrong,(and often am) but I am unsure if there would be enough pen specific material to warrant the time and effort of a separate video and curriculum.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Michael Janich wrote:T
That's the basic idea; however, please remember that jabbing someone with a pen is not a guaranteed stop to an attack. T

Mike
What do you target with a pen/ how is it best employed?

Thanks
mark