Holy....Smoky Mountain KW Caly Jr drama STILL going on.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

Holy....Smoky Mountain KW Caly Jr drama STILL going on.

Post by vivi »

I can't find the original thread so I'm making a new one.

I have never completed an order with Smoky Mountain knife works.

When the Caly Jr sprint was being listed on different sites for pre-order, they listed it for an unusually low price of about $40.

I wasn't planning on getting one but at that price I figured I why not.

They removed the money from my account the day I placed the order (red flag #1).

Prior to sending out my order, they never initied communication with me outside of a confirmation email.

I had to call them to ask if they would be honoring their advertised price when the ship date finally came around (red flag #2).

They told me they would not honor the price they listed (red flag #3) and gave me the option of giving them more money or cancelling my order.

I opted to cancel.

I don't recall how long it took me to get my money back, but I know it took way too long. I had to call them and threaten to do a charge back through my bank well over a week after I cancelled (red flag #4).

They continued mailing me catalogs despite me telling them I was unhappy with their business practices (red flag #5).

I asked them to never send me anything in the mail, that I did not plan on doing business with them in the future.

They have sent me 13 catalogs since then (red flag #6).

After every catalog I received, I wrote RETURN TO SENDER and put it back in my box, AND I called them and repeated my request to STOP sending me any mail, period (red flag #6).

Today I received my 14th catalog from them since the Caly JR pre-order. I called them AGAIN and asked to speak to the highest person in the company willing to get on the phone and asked them what exactly do I have to do to make them stop?

If I added up every negative experience I have had buying knives throughout my entire life, it pales in comparison to the idiocy I've dealt with in SMKW. I had planned on never doing business with them again, but now I'm motivated to do something I never do and leave them negative reviews anywhere I can. This is absolutely absurd. I've calling them month after month and they won't stop spamming me with catalogs that I send right back.
:unicorn
knivesandbooks

Re: Holy....Smoky Mountain KW Caly Jr drama STILL going on.

Post by knivesandbooks »

They're ridiculous.
When I bought a Slysz Bowie from them it had scratches and the pocket clip was removed. I called and asked why my $300 Slysz bowie that was advertised as new was sold to me at new prices despite it obviously being used and dissasembled. Never got a word back on that but they made returning it a pita.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Wow those are very bad experiences you had there and I feel bad for you because SMKW is usually a very good company. I don't understand why they did that.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Seems like I ordered from them at least once before without issue but it's been years ago.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

After some of the nonsense I saw in their last catalog, I just use it for testing medium for newly sharpened knives.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Sad to hear that's the way SMKW does business. They have a really nice shop. I've been buy it a many a times but ever only in it maybe a handful.
What did the highest ranking person tell you over the phone?
Did they apologize at all?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Dang man. That's annoying they keep sending you stuff.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau if you haven't already.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It’s been years since I have done business with them. At that time I had good experiences. Perhaps it is the quality of their current employees ?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would post my experiences on their Facebook. That will be out their so people can see it and get their atttention.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:35 pm
I can't find the original thread so I'm making a new one.

I have never completed an order with Smoky Mountain knife works.

When the Caly Jr sprint was being listed on different sites for pre-order, they listed it for an unusually low price of about $40.

I wasn't planning on getting one but at that price I figured I why not.

They removed the money from my account the day I placed the order (red flag #1).

Prior to sending out my order, they never initied communication with me outside of a confirmation email.

I had to call them to ask if they would be honoring their advertised price when the ship date finally came around (red flag #2).

They told me they would not honor the price they listed (red flag #3) and gave me the option of giving them more money or cancelling my order.

I opted to cancel.

I don't recall how long it took me to get my money back, but I know it took way too long. I had to call them and threaten to do a charge back through my bank well over a week after I cancelled (red flag #4).

They continued mailing me catalogs despite me telling them I was unhappy with their business practices (red flag #5).

I asked them to never send me anything in the mail, that I did not plan on doing business with them in the future.

They have sent me 13 catalogs since then (red flag #6).

After every catalog I received, I wrote RETURN TO SENDER and put it back in my box, AND I called them and repeated my request to STOP sending me any mail, period (red flag #6).

Today I received my 14th catalog from them since the Caly JR pre-order. I called them AGAIN and asked to speak to the highest person in the company willing to get on the phone and asked them what exactly do I have to do to make them stop?

If I added up every negative experience I have had buying knives throughout my entire life, it pales in comparison to the idiocy I've dealt with in SMKW. I had planned on never doing business with them again, but now I'm motivated to do something I never do and leave them negative reviews anywhere I can. This is absolutely absurd. I've calling them month after month and they won't stop spamming me with catalogs that I send right back.
So, Vivi,
What did the highest ranking person tell you over the phone?
Did he or she apologize?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Look at it this way, catalogs cost something, postage costs something, so a business you don't like is wasting money sending you a catalog that only takes a few seconds to toss in the trash. Personally, I smile every time I do that to a piece of mail from one of the half dozen or so left leaning organizations I'm pretty sure a moonbat neighbor I pissed off signed me up with.

And, while I'm not defending SMKW, I know it can be difficult to stay off mailing lists since there's a lot of "list sharing" and buying from one company can get you on the list of a few dozen others. I get catalogs regularly from places I've never ordered anything from.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderEdgeForever

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:27 am
Look at it this way, catalogs cost something, postage costs something, so a business you don't like is wasting money sending you a catalog that only takes a few seconds to toss in the trash. Personally, I smile every time I do that to a piece of mail from one of the half dozen or so left leaning organizations I'm pretty sure a moonbat neighbor I pissed off signed me up with.

And, while I'm not defending SMKW, I know it can be difficult to stay off mailing lists since there's a lot of "list sharing" and buying from one company can get you on the list of a few dozen others. I get catalogs regularly from places I've never ordered anything from.
Deacon, those are very good points. It raises a question I have had about catalogs companies send out, knives or otherwise: When they figure out the costs of sending out such mailings, do they figure that if the person purchases at least one or a few items from them, the cost of printing and mailing and putting the catalog or product guide together is worth it, and, they have percentages of how many persons purchase the knives or other goods based on how many catalogs or brocures they send out?
SpyderEdgeForever

Everyone, now SMKW is having a Spyderco sale, ATR 2s with G10 grips for 150 dollars or something?

https://www.smkw.com/brands/spyderco?p= ... der=saving

I wonder if this is their way to placate upset Spyderco purchasers.