I'm looking for a new EDC fixed blade

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

I'm looking for a new EDC fixed blade

Post by vivi »

The Izula 2 is one of my favorite knives. I carry one horizontal on my belt 7 days out of the week.

I'd like to upgrade to something nicer.

The Izula gets the job done, but the scales are pretty crappy compared to a nicely contoured custom. There are a few other niggling details, like the gigantic lanyard hole.

So starting with an Izula 2, I'd like my ideal knife to be different in these ways:

- Slightly less belly
- Lower tip
- More contouring on the scales
- Better fit and finish
- Smaller lanyard hole (or none!)
- Thinner stock would be nice, 3mm is robust enough for me

Things I'd like to keep the same:

- Lightweight (My Izula 2 + sheath is about 3oz...over that is ok, but not by much)
- Carbon steel
- Plastic / kydex sheath (Unless its a leather sheath setup for 1 o clock horizontal carry like Bradleys)
- Full flat grind
- Micarta scales
- Prominent forward guard
- Same general size (6.75" OAL, doesn't have to be exact of course)

I have a Landi EDC that is pretty close to what I want. I'd like a touch more guard, but I'm still going to audition it next week after I give it an edge.

What else should I consider?
:unicorn
Crux

Re: I'm looking for a new EDC fixed blade

Post by Crux »

Here you go. Beautiful 52100 boot knife.
Attachments
Cold Steel Boot Knife.jpg
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:53 am
The Izula 2 is one of my favorite knives. I carry one horizontal on my belt 7 days out of the week.

I'd like to upgrade to something nicer.

The Izula gets the job done, but the scales are pretty crappy compared to a nicely contoured custom. There are a few other niggling details, like the gigantic lanyard hole.

So starting with an Izula 2, I'd like my ideal knife to be different in these ways:

- Slightly less belly
- Lower tip
- More contouring on the scales
- Better fit and finish
- Smaller lanyard hole (or none!)
- Thinner stock would be nice, 3mm is robust enough for me

Things I'd like to keep the same:

- Lightweight (My Izula 2 + sheath is about 3oz...over that is ok, but not by much)
- Carbon steel
- Plastic / kydex sheath (Unless its a leather sheath setup for 1 o clock horizontal carry like Bradleys)
- Full flat grind
- Micarta scales
- Prominent forward guard
- Same general size (6.75" OAL, doesn't have to be exact of course)

I have a Landi EDC that is pretty close to what I want. I'd like a touch more guard, but I'm still going to audition it next week after I give it an edge.

What else should I consider?
Maybe the Street Beat?
It doesnt meet all your stipulations but the F&F is hard to beat (no pun intended) and you did ask, what else to consider.
I heartedly recommend the SB.
Sheath is Boltaron.
BTW quite liked the Izula as well but did end up selling it. Will always keep at least one SB though.

PS dont be discouraged by the 'lack' of a guard on the SB. The 'Perrin divot' (for lack of better words) works well against slipping.
I have some Beats, Street Bowies and several customs sporting the divot and am a big fan of the feature.

Here the 'divot' on a 'bushcraft' knife, I had made (a Kephart inspired design with features from several knives, that I like). Works a charm.
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Street Beat is a really nice design. I owned the same version you have pictured but sold it to a friend. I've been considering one of the blacked out models, but at that price I can also get a custom with nice micarta scales.

Maybe the answer is both :D
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

The answer is always 'both' (... well, actually 42) :D

The black SB Lightweight is a great relatively affordable blade around the $100 mark.
I thought of including that one but wasnt sure, if you were keen on the FRN handle.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd prefer micarta but I'm looking to order a new knife this month, so I'm not trying to hunt one down on the secondary market. I'd be happy with the FRN version, but there are so many nice micarta scaled options under $100.

The more I think about it the more likely both seems :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well the Street Beat doesn't fit your criteria but I absolutely love mine. I want a better sheath but otherwise it's a fantastic little knife.

If they'd make one with the same size blade but with a Yojimbo 2 style blade...oh my. I also have a Ronin 2 but I like the SB a bit better in the grip.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

I agree with you, a fusion between the Street Beat and Ronin 2 would be great! There was a similar knife produced by another company but I never got around to trying it:

I like the shape but it looks like a three finger knife. That and the lack of scales mean I'd probably just opt for the Street Beat.

This is the knife that's currently my favorite:

ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Joey Roman neckr, or ask Richard Osborne to make you a custom. Both people are on ig.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:28 pm
I agree with you, a fusion between the Street Beat and Ronin 2 would be great! There was a similar knife produced by another company but I never got around to trying it:

I like the shape but it looks like a three finger knife. That and the lack of scales mean I'd probably just opt for the Street Beat.

This is the knife that's currently my favorite:

I've come close to getting this one several times, actually I got my SB instead. Seems like a decent knife but it's D2..

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Real-Stee ... ffe--61447
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Bark River Mini Fox River, A2

Cold Steel Mini Pendleton Hunter, 3V

My vote goes for the DLC coated Mini Pendleton. For the price of $70 you can afford to have it re-handled. The sheath is great and fully adaptable. You can take off the strap and mount the sheath on your belt in a number of ways.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

Thanks Doc, those both look nice. Bark River sure makes some nice looking knives. That Cold Steel caught my attention too. That's really cheap for 3V, and the design looks practical.
Luke2236

Post by Luke2236 »

Take a look at carter Cutlery. I have a couple of his perfect models. If I could get away with only having a fixed blade (can’t at work) they would be all I would ever carry. They are expensive but worth every penny in my book.
Wanted: M4 PM 2 or manix M4.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Vivi my friend, I found the perfect EDC knife for you, Peacent, Bloke, myself, and others on here. Ready for this? You will love it.

One area of knives you and I both agree with 100 percent is the need for good quality blades that hold an edge AND are corrosion proof. Here it is:

The G-Sakai Sabi Knife series:

Check this one out in particular:

http://japan-blades.com/page/2/?s=Sabi

The blade is listed as being 3.6 inches long. It is made of true H1 stainless steel, made in Japan, and has the FRN handle and sheath.

If you search their site you will also find a hawkbill version and larger versions with other features. They have both plain edge and part serrated edges.

Being H1 you won't have to be concerned about it rusting and it is a fixed blade so it is even stronger than the folders. They work with Spyderco I think?
vivi

Post by vivi »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:10 pm
Vivi my friend, I found the perfect EDC knife for you, Peacent, Bloke, myself, and others on here. Ready for this? You will love it.

One area of knives you and I both agree with 100 percent is the need for good quality blades that hold an edge AND are corrosion proof. Here it is:

The G-Sakai Sabi Knife series:

Check this one out in particular:

http://japan-blades.com/page/2/?s=Sabi

The blade is listed as being 3.6 inches long. It is made of true H1 stainless steel, made in Japan, and has the FRN handle and sheath.

If you search their site you will also find a hawkbill version and larger versions with other features. They have both plain edge and part serrated edges.

Being H1 you won't have to be concerned about it rusting and it is a fixed blade so it is even stronger than the folders. They work with Spyderco I think?
Thank you for bringing this model to my attention. I love H1 and somehow I had never heard of this knife. If I end up ordering one I'll be sure to post a review. Judging by the sheath, this must be the factory Spyderco uses for the Aqua Salt.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:10 pm

do you mean this? :p
I've had it for 3 years now, it's a very good knife :cool:

and the sheath is very functional and can be angled at any inclination/angle in a 360º rotation :rolleyes:

they make the H1 Blades for Spyderco indeed ;) and they also have their own, from traditionals, to folders, swiss army knife styled knives, fixed and sheath knives of all kinds...
They are a very big manufacturer and popular in Japan
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you ThePeacent! I greatly appreciate these photos and your experiences with that knife. If I may ask, did you put the electrical tape on the section of the hilt for comfort or because it got damaged?
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:56 pm
Thank you ThePeacent! I greatly appreciate these photos and your experiences with that knife. If I may ask, did you put the electrical tape on the section of the hilt for comfort or because it got damaged?

comfort and retention.
I believe these are aimed at hunters and fishermen who mostly use gloves when using these, so with just my bare hands I found it kind of slippery even though the handle scales are contoured :o

It's really pointy and relatively thin (it would snap very easily using minimal prying or torque), cuts very well, like a good kitchen knife, but the scales are thick and offer good gripping area, and the material is solid feeling (polypropylene? :confused: )

and the sheath is really excellent, secure, and allows so many carry options :cool:

I've been very tempted to try other SAKAI fixed blades :p
vivi

Post by vivi »

I ended up going with the L T Wright Frontier Valley. I found one in black micarta and O1 for $60 shipped. Hard to beat that knife at that price!

I'll post pictures when it gets here, naturally :)
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Nice. LTWs rock.

A2?

I like LTWs. Here one of my favorites in CPM-3V.