Odd Question: What if there were no parking rules?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Odd Question: What if there were no parking rules?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I was watching some videos from around the world that showed "road rage" incidents and auto crashes and such things. But let's say there were still rules that had to be followed while driving, but, all parking rules were nullified, and the city governments said "Motorists can park wherever they want to, for as long as they want, it is a first come, first serve, basis. No tickets will be given out, no fines. No more parking costs. If you can fit your vehicle, you can park there, for as long as you want."

I would like your views as to what the effects of such a policy would be? Would it lead to chaos and even worse and more severe road rage than already happens, or would people generally learn to get along with the new way of doing things?
Evil D

Re: Odd Question: What if there were no parking rules?

Post by Evil D »

It would create absolute havoc. Not only would it create crashes, but people would lose their minds and vandalize the crap out of your car. Just off the top of my head...

1) There's a spot on my route to work that is two lanes going both directions with street parking on the curb lanes. At certain times of day you're not allowed to park on the curb, so traffic can flow freely. At least once a week some jackass is parked in this blind curve and it's mayhem every morning. That's just ONE car parked where it shouldn't be. Technically if there were no parking laws at all, people could just park wherever and completely block the flow of traffic.

2) Imagine taking a trip to a busy shopping center, grocery store, Walmart, wherever. Lots of those places already suck enough for parking, but if people could park anywhere they want, why not just back your car right up to the entrance door so you can walk your cart right straight to your trunk? Not only that, but someone would park in front of you...and in front of him...to the point that you probably couldn't even walk in and out of the building, much less get your car back out when you're ready to leave.

3) Can you imagine someone deciding to park on the interstate? It may seem unlikely but some idiot would find a reason to.

4) Imagine what just one semi driver could do if he parked wherever he wanted? You've probably seen those Coke delivery trucks...lets just say he decides to park diagonally across the road/entrance of your local grocery store so he doesn't have to haul product as far.

Honestly SEF, this idea actually pisses me off just thinking about it LOL.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Gotta say that this one is off the wall, even for you SEF. :rolleyes:

It wouldn't make much difference in the development where I live. Outsiders would still have no reason to park here and residents would still park in their garages, driveways or front of their own homes, since those would still be the most convenient spots for them to park.

OTOH, it would be an unmitigated disaster in shopping centers and cities because too many people are lazy, inconsiderate, self-centered, or some combination of those. Among the obvious issues:

Fire lanes and handicap spots would become prime parking spaces. Fire hydrants and crosswalks would be blocked.

Cities would have to find a way to replace the income generated by parking meters, parking permits, and parking tickets. IIRC, 8-10 ten years ago in Albany NY that was over twenty million dollars a year.

In northern cities, snow removal and street cleaning would become even more difficult than they already are.

Real estate values in some urban areas would plummet if residents were no longer given preferential treatment for on-street parking.

Getting in and out of airports would become a nightmare.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Welcome to Palermo.
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

It's just absurd to even consider it
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I couldn’t see it being too much of a problem but I’d wonder what to do with the surplus of Parking Coppers. :rolleyes:

Edit: Surely you realise I jest! :)
Last edited by Bloke on Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've met a few people I'd park directly on top of. :)

Joe
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:52 pm
I've met a few people I'd park directly on top of. :)

Joe
^^this
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

gingerninja wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:22 pm
Where do you live?

There are plenty of places with no parking rules. Probably more places on earth with no parking rules than have parking rules, actually.

It's just when you have a bunch of people in one place that you start to need rules.

But, as I said, if you want to see what "no rules" parking (and driving, for that matter) in a big city is like, go visit Palermo.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

There are no parking rules in Manila or Bangalore.

See what their traffic flow is like.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If there were no parking rules you would be living in Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, India, Philippines, or some African country.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:52 am
gingerninja wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:22 pm
Where do you live?

There are plenty of places with no parking rules. Probably more places on earth with no parking rules than have parking rules, actually.

It's just when you have a bunch of people in one place that you start to need rules.

But, as I said, if you want to see what "no rules" parking (and driving, for that matter) in a big city is like, go visit Palermo.
Imagine trying to park at a hospital or airport if people could park wherever they wanted for however long they wanted or any of the other places or situations already mentioned here. Maybe I don't credit people enough for thinking of anyone but themselves but I'd rather stick with parking laws than find out otherwise.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

For some reason, the Parking Lot Rage scene from the movie Fried Green Tomatoes was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. Whether the parking lot spaces are marked or people are parking in an open grassy field for an event, the bottom line is civility and common sense. I do wish parking spaces were wider, though.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

gingerninja wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:58 pm
Imagine trying to park at a hospital or airport if people could park wherever they wanted for however long they wanted or any of the other places or situations already mentioned here.
My local hospital and airport both operate that way.

No issues.

It's an issue of total density, not lack of regulations.
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:48 pm
gingerninja wrote:
Imagine trying to park at a hospital or airport if people could park wherever they wanted for however long they wanted or any of the other places or situations already mentioned here.

No issues.

Cool
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:48 pm
gingerninja wrote:

No issues.

Are we talking about drivers or parking spaces here? ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Europeans use unregulated traffic circles instead of traffic lights. No speed limits on the autobahn in Germany. They park half way up on the sidewalks on narrow streets, but I think that is a requirement. We are definitely over regulated here in the U.S., though.

In downtown Houston, I found a street near the George R. Brown Convention Center without signs for parking. There were no parking spaces marked and it was pretty obvious that it was not intended for parking but I parked anyway. A METRO bus driver coming around the curve yelled at me that I couldn't park there. I yelled back "There's no sign." When I went to the next monthly meeting, there were "no parking" signs there every 50 feet.

My subdivision in Houston has stop signs coming out of every cul de sac. There is only one intersection of through roads in the whole subdivision and of course that is a four way stop. Twenty some odd stop signs totally unnecessary.

When I was in Italy in 1971, when there was a stop light for the four lane avenue they somehow managed to line up six abreast.

The Germans on the other hand had a yellow light before the red light like we do and also a yellow light before the green light which meant get ready to go. Woe be the inattentive driver who did not promptly launch on green. I liked that idea.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.